[SOLVED] Looking for information to upgrad my current pc

Oct 3, 2020
Hello guys , i've read a lot of posts, but my time came to start upgrade my PC. And thus I made account for advise on a upgrade.
I mostly use it for gaming especially rocketleague r6 and fortnite.

my current rig

CPU - Intel Core i5-9600K
MOBO - Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 1660 TI GAMING X 6G
PSU - Be quiet! System Power 9 600W
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Gb (dual sticks)
Case- Cooler Master Mastercase MC500 - Midtowermodel

Cooling:
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black Edition - CPU Cooler
Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 2x - Fans

Storage :
1tb Seagate barracuda hdd
500gb kingston A1000 m.2 ssd

I play on 144hz monitor and I cap the fps around 180fps

I was thinking abt buying a new graphics card or a new cpu because I cant get the desired stable fps in a lot of scenarios(especially competitive fornite). I was thinking about an i7 9700k or a 3060(if NVDIA releases one) but I'm not sure what I should get.|

But my worries is always bottleneck, which
i dont know much of, except what i read from other peoples experience and dillemas.

i also should mention that I overclocked my gpu with 110+ core and 800+ memory and I multi-task a lot (bec have a dual-monitor setup) while I'm playing games).

Not sure where i should go from here, since my upgrade options are a bit limited to 1 or 2 components.
Thanks in advance and sorry for another upgrade post.

Solution
I disagree that a new GPU wouldn't be beneficial here. The 9600K is still a very good CPU that's capable of a lot.

A GPU upgrade will definitely increase FPS even at 1080p.

With $350+ he may be able to afford a 3070/3060 when they come out. AMD's lineup is also coming soon. I would suggest to wait a little bit (if you're willing) and look at some results.

That way u can compare whether a new CPU + 1660Ti or a 9600k + new GPU is a better.

Regardless of what you end up picking. The new releases this October will definitely affect market pricing.

I hope this helps.
Graphics cards DO NOT improve frame rates when you are running at low settings. Or even at medium settings when you're talking about 1080p or lower resolutions. The...
If you have a GTX 1660 ti and are looking for more FPS at 1080p then a CPU upgrade is what you want. Your GTX 1660 ti is plenty capable for much higher settings at 1080p, but your CPU performance could be improved to some degree.

At low or medium settings, a higher tiered graphics card isn't going to give you anything at all. At ALL, at all.

How much do you think you can afford to throw at an upgrade?

Faster memory with lower latency might also be a serious consideration, depending on what you have now. What is the model number of your current memory kit? Did all of your memory come in one kit, or did you buy sticks separately?

Oct 3, 2020
If you have a GTX 1660 ti and are looking for more FPS at 1080p then a CPU upgrade is what you want. Your GTX 1660 ti is plenty capable for much higher settings at 1080p, but your CPU performance could be improved to some degree.

At low or medium settings, a higher tiered graphics card isn't going to give you anything at all. At ALL, at all.

How much do you think you can afford to throw at an upgrade?

Faster memory with lower latency might also be a serious consideration, depending on what you have now. What is the model number of your current memory kit? Did all of your memory come in one kit, or did you buy sticks separately?
Thanks for your reply again! this forum is the best I guess.

i have around 300-380(it's for my birthday). and my Memory is a 3000mhz(with xmp) cl16 kit.
I could've buyed a 3600mhz with 18cl but I read that it wasn't smart to do that bec of the slow latency. I got the two sticks from the same package.

Thanks for your help.

I disagree that a new GPU wouldn't be beneficial here. The 9600K is still a very good CPU that's capable of a lot.

With $350+ he may be able to afford a 3070/3060 when they come out. AMD's lineup is also coming soon. I would suggest to wait a little bit (if you're willing) and look at some results.

That way u can compare whether a new CPU + 1660Ti or a 9600k + new GPU is a better.

Regardless of what you end up picking. The new releases this October will definitely affect market pricing.

I hope this helps.

Oct 3, 2020

I hope this helps.
Thanks for your opinion on this upgrade. i wanted to upgrade around black friday

I hope this helps.
Graphics cards DO NOT improve frame rates when you are running at low settings. Or even at medium settings when you're talking about 1080p or lower resolutions. The card he has can handle 1080p low to medium settings without even batting an eye, much less struggling, so upgrading the graphics card does literally nothing to improve frame rates. The processor is where any increase in frame rates is going to happen when practically all of the load is shifted to the CPU because the quality settings are almost nil. So no, it will not.

Now, if he was trying to INCREASE the QUALITY settings AND increase the frame rates at the same time, then yes, it would be beneficial. Or if he was trying to just stay at the same frame rates while increasing the quality settings, then it might, and probably would, be beneficial. But when the card is already more than capable enough at a given quality setting, then adding a higher tiered card doesn't add anything because it is not in fact the limiting factor. In his scenario, with the quality settings low, the CPU setting the frame rate and limiting it, because it can only do so much. I agree, the 9600k is a fairly capable CPU, but it lacks additional hyperthreads found on the same gen i7 models and it lacks cores and hyperthreads compared to some 10th gen and Ryzen models, so there are some gains that could be had through increased clock speeds and additional cores, depending on whether or not the particular game is well optimized to handle multithreaded performance or not.

Obviously, the easy and quick gain is to overclock that CPU, which probably only requires a fairly decent mid tiered CPU cooler to gain a few hundred Mhz over the stock configuration and also to ensure that all cores see that gain, rather than the lower all core boost limitations. There are options, but none of them are cheap or free.

Solution
Oct 3, 2020
Graphics cards DO NOT improve frame rates when you are running at low settings. Or even at medium settings when you're talking about 1080p or lower resolutions. The card he has can handle 1080p low to medium settings without even batting an eye, much less struggling, so upgrading the graphics card does literally nothing to improve frame rates. The processor is where any increase in frame rates is going to happen when practically all of the load is shifted to the CPU because the quality settings are almost nil. So no, it will not.

Now, if he was trying to INCREASE the QUALITY settings AND increase the frame rates at the same time, then yes, it would be beneficial. Or if he was trying to just stay at the same frame rates while increasing the quality settings, then it might, and probably would, be beneficial. But when the card is already more than capable enough at a given quality setting, then adding a higher tiered card doesn't add anything because it is not in fact the limiting factor. In his scenario, with the quality settings low, the CPU setting the frame rate and limiting it, because it can only do so much. I agree, the 9600k is a fairly capable CPU, but it lacks additional hyperthreads found on the same gen i7 models and it lacks cores and hyperthreads compared to some 10th gen and Ryzen models, so there are some gains that could be had through increased clock speeds and additional cores, depending on whether or not the particular game is well optimized to handle multithreaded performance or not.

Obviously, the easy and quick gain is to overclock that CPU, which probably only requires a fairly decent mid tiered CPU cooler to gain a few hundred Mhz over the stock configuration and also to ensure that all cores see that gain, rather than the lower all core boost limitations. There are options, but none of them are cheap or free.
Do you know how I can overclock my 9600k? I have searched some things but its not that clear. If you can link some overclocking guides I would appreciate it. BTw i have a cooler hyperr 212 fan Black edition fan cooler.

Thanks for the help.

The Hyper 212 EVO is not sufficient for overclocking the 9600k. It's barely sufficient for running it at the default boost profile if we're being honest. It's a good replacement upgrade from the stock cooler but it's not going to do well for overclocking on a 6 core Intel CPU.

You want a minimum of a good 140mm single tower cooler or better. Or a 240-280mm AIO cooler. A little 120mm cooler like the 212 EVO is just not going to cut it IMO.

For overclocking, this.

https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/8481/coffee-lake-overclocking-guide/index.html

And this:

Oct 3, 2020
The Hyper 212 EVO is not sufficient for overclocking the 9600k. It's barely sufficient for running it at the default boost profile if we're being honest. It's a good replacement upgrade from the stock cooler but it's not going to do well for overclocking on a 6 core Intel CPU.

You want a minimum of a good 140mm single tower cooler or better. Or a 240-280mm AIO cooler. A little 120mm cooler like the 212 EVO is just not going to cut it IMO.

For overclocking, this.

https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/8481/coffee-lake-overclocking-guide/index.html

And this:

My cpu runs on 45degree with 800rpm while heavy load(fortnite) and its dead silent. i can ramp it up when I overclock because my game sound compensates for the loudness of the fan. i geuss i have a upgraded one? i have around 40 degrees when i have fans on 50%. I hope this changes your mind on the cooler master hyper 212 black edition(NOT EVO)

There aren't any "upgraded ones". They all use the same heatsink, but some models use a different fan, and the fan doesn't make that much difference not even when a second one is added to the rear of it for push pull configurations.

So no, it doesn't change my mind or anybody else's who actually knows anything about this cooler. Even the lowly Deepcool Gammaxx 400 outperforms ANY of the 212 coolers. The fact is, the CM 212 lineup is not very good. Certainly it is a better option than any stock cooler, but it is simply not capable enough for overclocking any CPU from your model up, and even for some lesser four core models it struggles.

Believe me, I know all about these coolers, and have even written a guide on resolving problems with performance on the Hyper 212. It just isn't a great cooler. If you want to overclock, get a better cooler unless you don't mind the sound of the fan on it and probably also your case fans, running full speed anytime you have any kind of load applied. It's an unnecessary risk for a gain that won't be worth it. It's like trying to overclock old FX processors on motherboards with 4 phase no heatsink VRM setups.

Oct 3, 2020
There aren't any "upgraded ones". They all use the same heatsink, but some models use a different fan, and the fan doesn't make that much difference not even when a second one is added to the rear of it for push pull configurations.

So no, it doesn't change my mind or anybody else's who actually knows anything about this cooler. Even the lowly Deepcool Gammaxx 400 outperforms ANY of the 212 coolers. The fact is, the CM 212 lineup is not very good. Certainly it is a better option than any stock cooler, but it is simply not capable enough for overclocking any CPU from your model up, and even for some lesser four core models it struggles.

Believe me, I know all about these coolers, and have even written a guide on resolving problems with performance on the Hyper 212. It just isn't a great cooler. If you want to overclock, get a better cooler unless you don't mind the sound of the fan on it and probably also your case fans, running full speed anytime you have any kind of load applied. It's an unnecessary risk for a gain that won't be worth it. It's like trying to overclock old FX processors on motherboards with 4 phase no heatsink VRM setups.
Should I just upgrade the cpu cooler than? i just got my salary and I think it will benefit my i7 later on too right? And should I upgrade to a noctua NH -xxx or a other one because it seems like you love testing cpu coolers and you have a lot of knowledge. i would like some suggestions (I can afford around 60-100 and want the best bang for the buck).

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Should I just upgrade the cpu cooler than? i just got my salary and I think it will benefit my i7 later on too right? And should I upgrade to a noctua NH -xxx or a other one because it seems like you love testing cpu coolers and you have a lot of knowledge. i would like some suggestions (I can afford around 60-100 and want the best bang for the buck).
Fairly easy to figure out open task manager move it to your other monitor play the games and see how much of your processor is being used. I would also monitor the temperature.

Yeah, what speed and brand is your memory? What is the actual model of your memory kit? I agree with Zerk. Something isn't right. You should be able to do much better with the hardware you already have.

Do you have the latest motherboard BIOS version installed? Latest Intel chipset drivers? CPU throttling?

Oct 3, 2020
Yeah, what speed and brand is your memory? What is the actual model of your memory kit? I agree with Zerk. Something isn't right. You should be able to do much better with the hardware you already have.

Do you have the latest motherboard BIOS version installed? Latest Intel chipset drivers? CPU throttling?
I dont know what you mean with memory kit but im making a guess My ram is a corsair vengeance 3000mhz cl16 dual kit(link:https://azerty.nl/product/corsair/3446055/vengeance-lpx-geheugen-ddr4). And about the chipset and BIOS updates i have never checked thqt because a friend of me said that it wasnt nessecary. I do know(trough cpu-z) that my bios is F8. And im 100% sure nothing is throtteling because o downloaded the latest Hwinfo and my degrees is AT MAX 50 and for my gpu 65. while before i had higher temps and my pc was alot louder but when i installed a extra front and top fan my temps of my gpu dropped with 10(was before 75) and my cpu with 7(was before 52). If you could link the intel chipset and the Bios updater i would appreciste it(z390 gigabyte gaming x (motherboard)).

Oct 3, 2020
Fairly easy to figure out open task manager move it to your other monitor play the games and see how much of your processor is being used. I would also monitor the temperature.
I Monitored for a while and i got a MAX temp of 46 degrees on cpu and a MAX usage of 95% While in a intesive game. I dont know if my Hardware info is broken or if there is something wrong with my windows. I also did a userbenchmark test and both my cpu and my gpu are way below expectations. I really hope you guys can help me out further. Thanks for all the reactions i really appreciate it.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I find it strange that my temps dropped after adding extra front fan. It dropped around 7 degrees on gpu and cpu.
Not strange to me.

For the benchmarks that site dont show the 1% lows that is most important. The end game with everybody popping up walls and floors would put it under a lot more stress.

I might start with overclocking the processor if your OK doing that. You would probably need a better cooler.

The 9600K has a all core turbo speed of 4.3GHz you should be able to get that up to the 4.8 area fairly easy with proper cooling.

You said you have your FPS caped at 180 what are they dropping down to?

--- snip ---

i also should mention that I overclocked my gpu with 110+ core and 800+ memory and I multi-task a lot (bec have a dual-monitor setup) while I'm playing games).

Not sure where i should go from here, since my upgrade options are a bit limited to 1 or 2 components.
Thanks in advance and sorry for another upgrade post.

If you want max FPS in the game, just run the game, running other programs on a second monitor will slow things down.

Oct 3, 2020
Not strange to me.

For the benchmarks that site dont show the 1% lows that is most important. The end game with everybody popping up walls and floors would put it under a lot more stress.

I might start with overclocking the processor if your OK doing that. You would probably need a better cooler.

The 9600K has a all core turbo speed of 4.3GHz you should be able to get that up to the 4.8 area fairly easy with proper cooling.

You said you have your FPS caped at 180 what are they dropping down to?
What cooler would you suggest? I'm definitely buying a Noctua one but I have no idea which one is good for my specs (and for the upgrade).