Question Looking for RAM for the MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI (DDR4 & DDR5)

Wolfseye

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
Hi guys,

i am thinking of getting the following Mainboard & CPU:

- Intel i7 13700k
- MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI (DDR4 Version or DDR5 Version)

I would love to use either G.Skill Trident Z RGB or Corsair Dominator, each 64 GB.

For the DDR5-Version, i think a 6000er would be fine. 2x32 GB.

For the DDR4-Version I am unsure atm.

I am still undecided which version of this board to get, either DDR4 or DDR5.
Compatiblity List as far as I can see is rather poor when it comes to the Ram clisp I had hoped to use.

Especially a 2x32 GB kit aint easy.

Anyone maybe has this board, and can me tell me a good RAM kit , 2x32 GB.

Any info is appreciated. Thx.

All of these kits are compatible, and for the record, unless you are REALLY needing to spend as little as possible, it makes much more sense to go with DDR5 now that prices have mostly come way down from what they were AND the fact that there will be no more DDR4 platforms going forward. So if you spend money on DDR4 now, that's it. It's the last platform you'll be able to use it with. If you buy DDR5 now, and decide to upgrade in a year or two, you'll likely still be able to use the same memory when you do so.

If you decide to go with the DDR4 version, these are all compatible, and 3600mhz is the fastest speed G.Skill shows as validated to be compatible on that motherboard. Certainly faster modules will work, but you will be taking a chance on a kit that is not validated for the board by the memory manufacturer so might take some trial and error to get a kit that works properly if you do that.

If you REALLY want to look at the Corsair Dominator kits, we can do that too, but I'm telling you upfront you'll pay 50% or more, more, than you will with one of the G.Skill kits and I believe the G.Skill kits to mostly be of higher quality and compatible with a broader range of configurations than the Corsair kits are anyhow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolfseye

Wolfseye

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
Thanks @Darkbreeze :)

I wish the mainboard manufacturer would make the lists that simple when it comes to listing compatible memory, not just a text list which is a pain in the a**** to go through and find the right one.

I would love to ask about the compatiblity of some other things, but I am afraid this aint the topic for it. Where would I post about general hardware combinations for a build ?

Cheers

Wolf

D

Deleted member 2838871

For the DDR5-Version, i think a 6000er would be fine. 2x32 GB.

tell me a good RAM kit , 2x32 GB.

Any info is appreciated. Thx.

I believe the G.Skill kits to mostly be of higher quality and compatible with a broader range of configurations than the Corsair kits are anyhow.

I'll agree about G.Skill. I've used their ram in every PC I've ever built and never had an issue. Currently running the Trident Z5 Neo 6000mhz 2x 32GB and it's been super stable on my Ryzen build.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Wolfseye

Wolfseye

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
You are great. m8. thx so much.
Cheers

Wolf