Looking for the best choice in GPU for my life...

Ickorasunder

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
My life in only a few weeks will be that of Skyrim...

Skyrim Recommended System Requirements

CPU: quad-core Intel/AMD
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 6GB hard disk space
GFX RAM: DX9 video card with 1 GB
GFX: GTX 260/Radeon 4890 or higher
Audio: DX compatible sound card

I want to be able to max skyrim out, aa x4 af x16 at 1680x1050 and a decent 35-40+ fps

So right now I'm sitting without a video card and need one quick! My budget is around 150-200$(can't really go much farther then that, 200 is already pushing it)

What I have in mind
Palit 460 sonic (??? Will know on Monday)
MSI 6870 twin frozr II (160$)
Sapphire 6870 (150$)
Galaxy gtx 470 (200$)
Gigabyte 560 ti (200$)

What do you think is the best choice? I'll be playing Witcher 2, Skyrim and Diablo 3 when it comes out.
Are the 6870 good enough? Are the 470 + 560 ti overkill?

Suggestions good folk!

I say get the MSI 6870 twin frozr II. With it's dual fan cooler you should be able to get some extra performance out of it by overclocking. Of course, when overclocking your mileage will vary ^_^. Anyway it's only a tad slower than the 560ti and it won't be pushing your budget. For 1680x1050 it should be enough.

I say the GTX 560Ti will max out all of those games at this resolution, and with a little pure OC you're going to get extra from this card.
But anyway, whether the 6870 or 560ti will do pretty good at this resolution.
GTX 560TI is faster than the GTX 470

GTX 560TI > GTX 470 > HD 6870

Yup. Most games aren't demanding enough to push my two 5870s, so I don't always get the same fps I see in reviews since my CPU can't keep up with 100+ fps. Of course, I didn't buy the second card to get more fps than my monitor can handle I got it to play games like Crysis 2 on DX 11 ^_^

^ yup that's right. I got it to keep above the 60fps refresh rate of my 60Hz monitor. My CPU is more than capable of maintaining that 60fps with my cards. One 5870 is enough in most cases, so that allows me to disable CF in some games that have trouble with it (like force unleashed) without having to lower anything, while other games aren't as smooth with one card, like Crysis 2 ^_^.

I bought my second 5870 for Gothic 4 by the way, because one just wasn't enough. Of course, if I had known how terrible that game would turn out (o.k it wasn't that bad but it was badly coded and failed to live to my expectations) I would have waited a little more.

Anyway, I don't have any trouble with my CPU not being enough to keep my 5870s happy. That may change in the future with more CPU demanding games but for now it's fine :D.

Actually i don't see any benefit from running a game with more than 60 Fps unless you have a 3D 120 Hz monitor, i always play with V.Sync on and i Force Triple buffering.

What forbids me from CFing my exist HD 6950 is seeing a lot of people getting low FPS with 2 cards than a single one.

I've always believed that CF issues are related to Driver, patches issues not my 1055T bottleneck them.

What do you use to force triple buffering? I'd love to b/c most of my games drop to 30 fps with vsync on - and I hate screen tearing...