Looking for the best pc case.

steverenaud77

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Hi all I'm building my first gaming pc and can't seem to decide on a case.

This is my build ;
PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9bcgYr
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9bcgYr/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($470.99 @ PC-Canada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($529.99 @ PC-Canada)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($618.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung - 850 PRO 2TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($1183.99 @ PC-Canada)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($1221.99 @ PC-Canada)
Case: Cooler Master - HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($199.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Titanium 750W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Pioneer - BDR-211UBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($149.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($116.95 @ Vuugo)
Fan Controller: NZXT - Sentry LX Fan Controller ($55.05 @ Vuugo)
Keyboard: G.Skill - RIPJAWS KM780R RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($122.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Mouse: Razer - Naga Chroma Wired Laser Mouse ($63.99 @ Amazon Canada)

On the parts list I have the haf x selected for now, but I'm just not sure. Since its my first build I would like to stick with just air cooling for now but eventually would like to go to liquid cooling. My biggest issues in my house is dust and dog hair. So I need a case that will help keep that out but at the same time it needs to move air inside. Just wanted to get some suggestions from people more experienced. If you spot anything out of the normal with the build please don't be shy. As for the monitor I will probably we waiting for the new 4k 144hz. Thanks so much in advance.

On a side note if you think a mid size would be better then a full please explain.
Have a good one Cheers!

Solution
Some comments on your build:

1. overkill on ram and motherboard and storage, most games use < 8gb nowadays, 2tb ssd.... How many games do you plan to play? Most people use 500 gb ssd and 2 tb hdd and call it a day.

2. Full case is too large and unnecessary for gaming build. quality mid case with dust filter will do.

3. 1080 ti can not do 4k >60 fps, you will need Volta to do that, may be releasing this year.

Have you bought the components already? I recommend this case:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case: Corsair - Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($168.99 @ PC-Canada)
Total: $168.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker...
Some comments on your build:

1. overkill on ram and motherboard and storage, most games use < 8gb nowadays, 2tb ssd.... How many games do you plan to play? Most people use 500 gb ssd and 2 tb hdd and call it a day.

2. Full case is too large and unnecessary for gaming build. quality mid case with dust filter will do.

3. 1080 ti can not do 4k >60 fps, you will need Volta to do that, may be releasing this year.

Have you bought the components already? I recommend this case:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case: Corsair - Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($168.99 @ PC-Canada)
Total: $168.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-13 00:53 EST-0500

Or NZXT Noctis

Solution

steverenaud77

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Ok thanks il check that case out. And as for the ram why is that overkill ?. I would like to oc it down the road once I learn more about it. And why is the formula considered over kill? I haven't bought anything yet just trying to get everything I will need together and make sure everything's right before I purchase it. What would you suggest for ram/mobo?