[SOLVED] Looking into un manged network switches as a novice have some questions

Sep 17, 2021
So keep in mind I'm brand new to this piece of tech, it'll be my first go around. couple questions i need clarification on: can i place a Gigabit switch in a different area of the house from my gateway without having to establish direct connection via eithernet to gateway and simply plug the switch into a wall jack or do i need a separate ethernet port in that room for this setup to be successful?

Thanks in advance

Solution
So keep in mind I'm brand new to this piece of tech, it'll be my first go around. couple questions i need clarification on: can i place a Gigabit switch in a different area of the house from my gateway without having to establish direct connection via eithernet to gateway and simply plug the switch into a wall jack or do i need a separate ethernet port in that room for this setup to be successful?

Thanks in advance
If you want internet access then your switch needs a connection back to your primary router (gateway). You could setup a network switch with just computers connected if you wanted private connectivity and were willing to manually configure everything.

kanewolf

Titan

Thanks in advance
If you want internet access then your switch needs a connection back to your primary router (gateway). You could setup a network switch with just computers connected if you wanted private connectivity and were willing to manually configure everything.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS