[SOLVED] Looking network and pc health monitor

Lordcool

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
I want monitor any data passing my router / modem and track what device use internet and how much data its sending. Using firefox I often get "a webpage is slowing down pc" I want to know which page/tab/program and why and I want stop bad behaving appz, tabs or devices slowing down my crappy internet.
How to easy sort and identify all traffic and see what it is and if its something I started or some program did without me. F.ex I hate my phone always downloading updates no matter how many times I beg it to never do this.
If possible I also want monitor smart data for every hard drive on my network , how many hours its run , when it starts wear out etc, if it starts correcting errors there should be an alert to replace drive before any data is lost.
I also want monitor all cpu temps , fan speeds etc,
Would be great to have all this on one screen showing status for every pc and if any issue arise should flash red and alert by email. Like if a cpu temp goes above 45 or a drive starts failing.

Solution
Your requirements are quite expansive (no criticism intended) and I am a bit doubtful about any single tool doing it all.

And, many tools require client software on the monitored/targeted devices.

Plus bear in mind that you may not be able to stop downloads - at least not indefinitely with respect to phones and computers in general. The manufacturers want control in order to apply updates and observe system performance.

Two general requirements: 1) A tool to monitor computers/drives/hardware etc., and 2) a Network monitoring (sniffer) for observing traffic.

Some information may be available via routers but likely only for commercial grade equipment.

Start with the following link...

Ralston18

Titan
Your requirements are quite expansive (no criticism intended) and I am a bit doubtful about any single tool doing it all.

And, many tools require client software on the monitored/targeted devices.

Plus bear in mind that you may not be able to stop downloads - at least not indefinitely with respect to phones and computers in general. The manufacturers want control in order to apply updates and observe system performance.

Two general requirements: 1) A tool to monitor computers/drives/hardware etc., and 2) a Network monitoring (sniffer) for observing traffic.

Some information may be available via routers but likely only for commercial grade equipment.

Start with the following link:

https://www.comparitech.com/net-admin/best-hardware-monitoring-software/

You may want to do some trials and testing via free downloads.

Solution
Jan 9, 2019
Spiceworks is going to be about the best one. You will need to have an external PC that "Monitors" everything. You will also need to know allot about how computers work, and how networks work. All monitoring tools that watch other devices require some expertise in the computer field. Spiceworks has several components that will "Scan" the network for devices and kind of walk you through the whole process. It is free and community driven. It also has remote monitoring in case you are at work or somewhere and need to look at whats going on at home.

Jan 9, 2019
If you are looking for a way to manage your internet traffic then you can go several routes. There are a few consumer routers (Linksys or Dlink...) that have QOS tools build in. Some routers allow you to install software on them like DD-WRT that handles the traffic or you can go all out and use something like Untangle. They have a home version that will absolutely take control of all the devices on the network. You can limit apps, block apps, create bandwith limits per hour/day, block adds, block devices from getting on the internet, allow devices at certain times only....... Take in mind though that for all of these solutions you need to know how to install OS's, and even have some linux knowledge.