Jun 2, 2020
Looking to build a SFF-ish build with my
Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme x2 SLI
(I need a case and a MOBO) please help
using i7 7700k
32gb of 3600mhz RAM
clc240 with noctua a12x25

Solution
Honestly, a small SLI build is going to be a problem. I don't believe there are any Z270 ITX boards with SLI capabilities and only a handful of micro-ATX boards. And the problem is that these are mainly available used now, which means you'd have to get lucky at finding just the right board.

Your life would be a lot easier if you sold both and got a single 2080 Ti. Plus, multi-GPU solutions make very little sense (for gaming) in 2020 anyway, which would totally eliminate that headache anyway.
Jun 2, 2020
Looking to build a SFF-ish build with my
Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme x2 SLI
(I need a case and a MOBO) please help
using i7 7700k
32gb of 3600mhz RAM
clc240 with noctua a12x25

DSzymborski

Titan
Honestly, a small SLI build is going to be a problem. I don't believe there are any Z270 ITX boards with SLI capabilities and only a handful of micro-ATX boards. And the problem is that these are mainly available used now, which means you'd have to get lucky at finding just the right board.

Your life would be a lot easier if you sold both and got a single 2080 Ti. Plus, multi-GPU solutions make very little sense (for gaming) in 2020 anyway, which would totally eliminate that headache anyway.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Afaik there isn't any mITX/mDTX mobo that has 2 pcie x16 slots, so you'd have by necessity to use a riser adapter card/cable with X16 to 2x X8 ports in order to use anything smaller than the odd few mATX mobo's that do have sli support. With case size and airflow restrictions, it gets worse as cases get smaller. So SFF is pretty much off the books without some serious modifications. You could probably get something like a Ghost S1 to work with a bottom hat addition and loosing functionality of the lower gpu ports, but that's a $300 setup just for the case.

Something like the Corsair Crystal 280x would be about as small as it gets reliably.

Do you have a required max dimension that this build must meet?
There are no ITX motherboards with two pcie x 16 slots that can run sli.
There are a number of M-ATX sized motherboards that will do sli.
I use a silverstone TJ-08E M-ATX sized case.
I picked it because it was the only one I found with a short depth(15,2")
The case uses a 180mm front intake which should be adequate even for dual gpu.
I have a gtx1080ti inside and still run the front fan on low speed.
See my sig.
A higher performing air penetrator front fan is also available.

If you need small, perhaps a strong single RTX2080ti would perform better than sli.
That way, you could use a n even smaller ITX case

Jun 2, 2020
Thank you all so much for the support, I gave in an quit the SFF idea. Went with the lian li pc-011 Dynamic and grabbed the Z270 sli pro for 100$. Everything should fit, the rest of my components will be here on Sunday hopefully if all goes well. I will post a picture of my ugly black case with 7-8 noctua fans as soon as I complete.

Jun 2, 2020
I was wondering if i should liquid cool my top or bottom gpu in SLi ( aorus 1080ti Xtreme ). They're in standard position in a Lian Li Dynamic pc-011, also would it be worth checking out the inside of both cards to verify thermal compound before installing? I know taking off the fan and heat sink is a bit of a hassle, but with almost 2k worth of graphics I think I should be more safe than sorry.
( TO CLARIFY, I DO NOT HAVE THE BUILD COMPELTE, LET ALONE STARTED. I HAVE THE RAM/CPU/AIO(CPU)/CASE/GPU SAG BRACKET.) BASICALLY everything but motherboard/psu/gpu)

Spec list:
i7 7700k
Asus z270 sli plus
1080ti aorus Xtreme 11g (x2 SLI)
ripjaw 3600mhz 32gb of ddr4 memory
clc 240 AIO
Lian Li pc-011 Dynamic (with gpu sag bracket/sold separate)
Silencer Series 1050 Watt 80Plus Platinum Fully-Modular
DeepCool Fan Hub Control 4PWM Fan Speed Supports Fan with 3Pin/4Pin Cooling FH-04
LINKUP - PSU Cable Extension Sleeved Custom Mod GPU PC Power Supply
Noctua NF-S12A FLX, Premium Quiet Fan, 3-Pin (120mm, Brown) (x5)
1tb m.2
1tb SSD
4TB Barracuda Hybrid drive

DSzymborski

Titan
Do you have any suggestions on my question? Which gpu should get priority withmy only extra aio for kraken g12?

Unless there are significant workstation needs for the GPUs, there is almost no use case for which running two 1080 Tis in SLI makes any sense, and it makes even less sense when you're not trying to supplement an existing 1080 Ti, but going out and buying two. Since I think it's a dreadful, money-wasting idea, I don't personally have any opinion on which GPU to cool.

Jun 2, 2020
Well, i got the two cards for a great deal from a retailer friend. I got both for 800$ total, so i just took advantage of my circumstances. I can even sell one to basically make all my money back, but i was just curious in the sense of should the top card be liquid cooled since it would blow air into the lower card? Maybe that would improve airflow and prevent heat build-up.

Jun 2, 2020
I work in AutoCad and I render ALOT so this was just a solution for me instead of buying a 3-4000$ gpu. Everything I do has to be in the highest quality possible for my high end clients, You'd think they would pay me more, so i can provide that quality with more ease. So now im just making the best out of what I got sir.

Jun 2, 2020
Yeah further in the chat i wrote the specs of everything i bought and im just asking if i should liquid cool my top card or the bottom one. But ive settled at doing the top one. Thanks everyone.

TRENDING THREADS