[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade a PC part pretty soon, where should I start?

Robby Shorts

Honorable
Jan 26, 2016
Hey guys, my current PC is getting to be about 2 years old and I'm looking to upgrade just a part or 2.
I've been getting into some games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Forza, and Battlefield V, and these games are pretty hard to run at medium+ graphics at 60+ fps.
I'm looking to just upgrade 1 (or maybe 2) parts in my PC, to just boost the overall amount of fps I would be getting in these games (especially Odyssey.) For example, in Odyssey I'm getting around 40-60 sometimes 70 fps and I would like to improve this.

I was considering getting a RTX 2070, but I have no clue if this would be worth it on my set up.

If anyone has suggestions on what to do I would love to hear them.

Heres my specs:
cpu: i5-7600K @ 3.80GHz
ram: 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3200
gpu: ASUS GTX 1060 STRIX-GTX1060-O6G 6GB (dx 12)
m-board: ASRock - Z270 Pro4 ATX LGA1151
powersupply: thermaltake 850 watt plat certified.
display: ASUS VG248QE 24" Full HD 1920x1080 144Hz 1ms

If you need to know anything else just lemme know

Thanks guys

Solution
Card is something to focus on. The 7600k is a good processor (I mean, may be a bit biased since I myself have it)
The ram and everything is fine, but yeah the main thing to focus on really, is the GPU.

If games run low, then yeah go for a new graphics card. The nice thing with the 2000 series imo is they have a bit of future-proof kinda.

OR you can risk it, and get a 1660 for only 200 dollars and still get some nice performance (Gets around the same FPS of a 1070)

But i mean, future proof would be a 2070+

Saturnity

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
Card is something to focus on. The 7600k is a good processor (I mean, may be a bit biased since I myself have it)
The ram and everything is fine, but yeah the main thing to focus on really, is the GPU.

If games run low, then yeah go for a new graphics card. The nice thing with the 2000 series imo is they have a bit of future-proof kinda.

OR you can risk it, and get a 1660 for only 200 dollars and still get some nice performance (Gets around the same FPS of a 1070)

Solution

Robby Shorts

Honorable
Jan 26, 2016

Hahaha us 7600K brothers gotta stick together! What do you think of overclocking? Do you think it would be worth it just to overclock my rig? I've heard its pretty risky.. Regardless, great advice though man, thanks I appreciate it.!

Robby Shorts

Honorable
Jan 26, 2016
For a 1080p 144hz, the RTX 2070 is a perfect match. Go for it!
Great to hear, that card is definitely sexy af. You don't think it would be bootlegged by the rest of my rig? I've heard that I may need to upgrade my cpu if I ever decide to upgrade my gpu, but I don't know how credible that is.. ya know?
Thanks for the advice though man, appreciate it!

The only case where I see your cpu bottlenecking the gpu is in multi-player scenarios with online player simulation and other TeamSpeak softwares like discord/twitch sapping some cpu power.

If you are just gonna be playing a game and nothing else, there would be zero to minimal bottleneck.

Robby Shorts

Honorable
Jan 26, 2016
The only case where I see your cpu bottlenecking the gpu is in multi-player scenarios with online player simulation and other TeamSpeak softwares like discord/twitch sapping some cpu power.

If you are just gonna be playing a game and nothing else, there would be zero to minimal bottleneck.
yea I gotcha, that makes sense.
Thanks for the advice man!