Question Looking to upgrade my CPU and need some suggestions.

officialryanrod

Prominent
Nov 3, 2018
I have a intel core i5 7400 CPU and looking to upgrade it to i7 for a budget price if possible. I'm looking around and just trying to get a good price range on what I should get because there is a lot of different i7s and don't know what to get. Also would I need to get a new CPU fan if I upgrade my CPU. I game and stream a lot so I need something that can help with that. My motherboard is a ASRock H110M-DS/Hyper and my gpu is a NVIDA GeForce 1070.

There's only 2 i7 cpus that will fit that board(well 4 if you count k sku). The 6700 and 7700. If you want to go any higher you need a new board as stated above. I would look at ryzen. For the cost of a used 7700, you could almost get a cpu/board and ram.

Used 7700 still sell for close to, if not well above, 200usd.

Dooktar

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019
If you want to keep your current motherboard, it looks like your options are the i7-7700 ($170) and a i7-7700k($300). The difference is that you can overclock the 7700k, which is why it's such a price increase.
If you want a budget upgrade to hold you over until you wish you build/upgrade your current rig, go for the 7700. If you plan to stick with this rig and want to milk as much power out of your socket as you can, get the k.
Not as budget friendly, but it is pretty nice.
These are also used prices, that may be gone by the time you get around to it.
I'm pretty useless at recommending CPU fans, I've using a blooming onion looking RGB one, if that's any idea.

Best of luck!