[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade my Graphics Card and in need of Advice

Yecob

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2013
Hi there, I want to upgrade my graphics card but I'm not very wise in terms of what's good or what is compatible with my current build. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :) Here are my specs:

Motherboard - MSI B450 Tomahawk
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Graphics Card - ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual Gaming OC 4GB
RAM - Team T-Force Delta 3200MHz 2x8GB DDR4
PSU - Aerocool Strike-X 800W Modular 80+ Silver Power Supply

Solution
Yes, there is a difference between those cards. Their differences are pretty close to the difference in price for those cards though. The RTX 2060S and 5700 XT are pretty similar. The RTX cards do have ray tracing though, which I a new lighting calculation type for more realistic lighting and reflections, but it is only compatible with a few specific games. And your PSU will be plenty for any of those GPUs, so you don't have to worry about that. As for which one to get between all the available models, just go with a cheaper model. The differences in performance between a more expensive "overclocked" model and a base model is not worth the price difference. That being said, do get one with a decent cooler, but you do not have to spend...

Yecob

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2013
Budget?
Goals of the upgrade?
Hi, thanks for replying! For the budget I'd say around $500-$700 (AUD by the way, buying from PC Case Gear). And as for the goals of the upgrade I want to be able to play games with higher quality settings and a smoother FPS (possibly even be able to stream and play at the same time). In recent times it's been a bit choppy/I've had to turn down the settings in games such as Borderlands 3 or Escape from Tarkov.

Edit: It would also be nice to know what the best possible card to get would be so I can decide if it's worth it for me to up my price.

Last edited:

ELM2721

Prominent
May 28, 2019
within the budget you mentioned and your current specs . you can get a great high end card to enjoy almost any game at ultra settings on 1080P OR even 1440P . Examples for good cards at these prices.
Radeon 5700 XT
RTX 2070 Super
RTX 2060 Super
all of these cards will guarantee you a smooth and nice gameplay on high settings

Reactions: Yecob

Yecob

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2013
within the budget you mentioned and your current specs . you can get a great high end card to enjoy almost any game at ultra settings on 1080P OR even 1440P . Examples for good cards at these prices.
Radeon 5700 XT
RTX 2070 Super
RTX 2060 Super
all of these cards will guarantee you a smooth and nice gameplay on high settings
Hi, thanks for the help, it’s greatly appreciated! So I wouldn’t have a problem with any of these when it comes to my PSU? Just paranoid after my brother recently managed to fry his whole build somehow due to insufficient power or something along those lines haha.

Also is there much difference between the cards within these ranges? When I look any of them up there are so many different ones it’s a bit mind boggling for me haha.

Yes, there is a difference between those cards. Their differences are pretty close to the difference in price for those cards though. The RTX 2060S and 5700 XT are pretty similar. The RTX cards do have ray tracing though, which I a new lighting calculation type for more realistic lighting and reflections, but it is only compatible with a few specific games. And your PSU will be plenty for any of those GPUs, so you don't have to worry about that. As for which one to get between all the available models, just go with a cheaper model. The differences in performance between a more expensive "overclocked" model and a base model is not worth the price difference. That being said, do get one with a decent cooler, but you do not have to spend an extra $100 on an upper tier model of the same card.

Reactions: Yecob
Solution

Yecob

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2013
Yes, there is a difference between those cards. Their differences are pretty close to the difference in price for those cards though. The RTX 2060S and 5700 XT are pretty similar. The RTX cards do have ray tracing though, which I a new lighting calculation type for more realistic lighting and reflections, but it is only compatible with a few specific games. And your PSU will be plenty for any of those GPUs, so you don't have to worry about that. As for which one to get between all the available models, just go with a cheaper model. The differences in performance between a more expensive "overclocked" model and a base model is not worth the price difference. That being said, do get one with a decent cooler, but you do not have to spend an extra $100 on an upper tier model of the same card.
Hiya, thanks for the reply! Really appreciate the advice. It's nice to know I won't have to worry about frying my PC or having to buy a new PSU. After looking at some videos on the 5700 XT it seems the initial cards had some problems with temperature, but the Gigabyte Gaming OC version looks like it's fixed that. It's also currently discounted $60 on the website I'm looking at it on! Although I have seen some ray tracing stuff on YouTube before and it looks damn good... So now I'm back on the fence again haha. Would using an NVIDIA GPU with an AMD CPU be ok? Or would I get a performance boost out of running an AMD GPU with it?

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
Hi there, I want to upgrade my graphics card but I'm not very wise in terms of what's good or what is compatible with my current build. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :) Here are my specs:

Motherboard - MSI B450 Tomahawk
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Graphics Card - ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual Gaming OC 4GB
RAM - Team T-Force Delta 3200MHz 2x8GB DDR4
PSU - Aerocool Strike-X 800W Modular 80+ Silver Power Supply
First of all change your PSU, then change the graphic card depend on your budget

Would using an NVIDIA GPU with an AMD CPU be ok? Or would I get a performance boost out of running an AMD GPU with it?
It does not matter which brand you use. An AMD/Nvidia GPU will not perform differently on a AMD/Intel system. I do believe this was something that mattered a long time ago, but no modern hardware has issues like that.

As far as your PSU, yes Aerocool does not seem like a great brand. I have never heard of them, and it might be worth replacing for a more reliable one. The Wattage, assuming it is still functional, is more than you need, which is not necessarily an issue, but you could get a lower wattage PSU if you were to replace it.

Yecob

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2013
Thank you all for your help. I ended up purchasing the Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC 8GB, can't wait to see how it goes! I might look into changing my PSU next but I've had it for a good while now and it's always worked fine. :)

Edit: On second thoughts, my PSU is too old to be risking putting a new expensive part in with it. Definitely replacing it as well haha. Thanks guys.

Last edited: