Looking to upgrade my processor but I don't really know where to start

meteora096

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Hey guys!
I have a HP Pavilion a6123w Desktop that I would like to upgrade. Namely, the processor. I don't really want to spend too much, but at the same time I want one that will last for a while. Here's the link to the page where I got all the info.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01077676&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3440626#N116

I know a little above average about PC's, but not enough to know exactly what I'm looking for. If you could give me a bit of advice or choose one that would work best, I would be much obliged. I would prefer a quad core, but anything greater than a dual core (what it comes with) is better. I mainly use my PC for gaming, and although I have a good graphics card (NVidia GT630) and 4 gigs of RAM I can barely run games without them lagging.
Thank you guys so much,
meteora
P.S. To restate, I have already upgraded the GPU and the RAM, plus the OS is now Win764bit. All I need is a new processor. Thanks again.

Hi,

First off your GPU is weak for modern gaming (NVidia GT630) You need at least a gt650/gt750 to have descent graphics .
Also the best CPU you can get is a Athlon 64 X2 on socket am2, witch is also outdated.

Even if you get a better processor, your rig will lag with modern gaming, might as well sell it and rebuild.

If you would of told us what games you play we could of given you better advice!

meteora096

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014

Alright, thanks for the help. I guess I'll just build a new one. It was getting pretty old anyways. Thank you guys!