[SOLVED] loose 8-pin PSU to GPU cable, any damage caused?

aceace33333

Honorable
Jan 5, 2016
So roughly a week into my newest PC build, I had my PC on (no games running, at desktop), and walking by my PC I slightly bumped my case. Suddenly the screen went blank and was unresponsive. After manually turning off / on the PC with no fix, I decided to open it up. After some searching around, I realize my second 8pin PSU cable wasn't fully connected/locked into my 2080ti (which has 2x 8pin connectors).

So I am wondering, was my card running on 1x 8pin connector this whole time, or is it more likely that the 2nd 8-pin was connected, but just loose enough to disengage when i bumped it? And as followup, should i be worried about any damage caused to my GPU by having either only 1 8pin connected or 2 8pins but one that was loose for the first few days of my setup?

Solution
The cable connector pins could have been making contact and it came loose when you bump into the PC.
A GPU might power on and work with only one connector, if the power draw does not exceed the power delivered by one 8-pin connector and the PCIe slot (225W).

If you connect both 8-pin connectors and the GPU works fine then it shouldn't be any damage.
Make sure you power off, disconnect the power cable and check that all cables are seated properly.
The cable connector pins could have been making contact and it came loose when you bump into the PC.
A GPU might power on and work with only one connector, if the power draw does not exceed the power delivered by one 8-pin connector and the PCIe slot (225W).

If you connect both 8-pin connectors and the GPU works fine then it shouldn't be any damage.
Make sure you power off, disconnect the power cable and check that all cables are seated properly.

Solution