Question Lose internet all the time no matter what the ISP does

Okay so for the past 6 months or so we have had internet problems. We have had 10 service calls. Each time they have replaced the wifi router, and modem. They replaced the line coming from the telephone pole to our house. They have checked connectivity in all lines of the house. They have done multiple other things as well on their end.

The issue is our internet will go out, but still say its connected. It will act like its connected, but it will not load anything. This issue happens the SAME DAY/NIGHT that they come and fix it. Sometimes it dont happen for a week. Other times its so bad that we have no internet for days, or the internet is so intermittent that its unusable for days unless we have them "come fix it".

This issue is on Wifi AND through Ethernet.

Today we had someone come AGAIN, 11th time. I was not here but they didnt do anything because the people that were here have no idea how to explain the issue to the technician. The technician told them that they see no issues and warned us about using a VPN as that could stop wifi from working (which is the dumbest <Mod Edit> I have ever heard as I use a VPN all the time on my pc and it never makes the entire internet stop working). We dont have a vpn setup for the router, so that should have never been brought up by the technician.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?! Ive asked them to credit our account for all the problems, they do nothing. We have them come to fix it, it never remains fixed. Now this time they say they see no issues but the internet just went out last night again!

Should we buy our own modem and router? Im afraid if we do, we will still have the same problems as I dont feel its a hardware issue. 1 or 2 bad hardware sure, maybe, but 11 times? I highly doubt it.

Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your connection DSL or is it cable. Most cable modems have logs you can look at and see if it is detecting errors. The ISP can see these message also so you would hope they know when there are issues.
DSL might have a log but it is not as common.

What you need to find out is are you actually losing the intenet coming to your house or is it up but you can not pass data.

As indicated above tracert is a good tool to find how far into the network the problem happens. Intermittent ones are tricky because you have to run tracert during the time it is broken.

Is your connection DSL or is it cable. Most cable modems have logs you can look at and see if it is detecting errors. The ISP can see these message also so you would hope they know when there are issues.
DSL might have a log but it is not as common.

What you need to find out is are you actually losing the intenet coming to your house or is it up but you can not pass data.

As indicated above tracert is a good tool to find how far into the network the problem happens. Intermittent ones are tricky because you have to run tracert during the time it is broken.

When I tried tracert the last time it went out, nothing happend it wouldnt even run the code. But when the internet was working I tried it and there was no failures. Not that I could see.

They have been back since and said there was some extra lines on the pole getting feedback from other houses, since they fixed that the issue seems to have slowed down quite a bit. We still lose internet about once a week, maybe twice but not nearly as bad as it was before. IDK if these cpl times a week are updates from the ISP like they usually do but at least its not every single day anymore.

Still not happy about it, saving some cash to get our own hardware to see if that resolves the issue permanent.