Question Losing internet connection for 1-5 Seconds - every 20-25 minutes.

Jan 4, 2021
Hi, this is my first post here.

My issue:

I will randomly disconnect from certain games for a couple of seconds, just long enough to be kicked from most game servers. I do not only lose connection to the game but also to any other programs. I also experience this while browsing on google. There is sometimes a time period of 1-5 seconds where nothing loads.
When I am speaking with friends on Discord, and this happens - their voices get cut out for like 0.1 seconds. So the issue is not that big on Discord.

To make it even trickier this does not apply to most games, the only ones I have issues with are Overwatch, Minecraft, and Rocket League.
This issue has been there for a few months now, and it is the most annoying thing ever.
When I get these connection drops for a few seconds, it is enough to kick me out of game servers as I said before.

Ethernet and Wifi:
So this issue happens when I am on an Ethernet cable, but also when I am using my phone - or my desktop on the wireless wifi connection. It also happens on my family members devices.

Different houses:
So my parents are divorced, so I move my desktop between both houses.
This issue happens at both houses.
It happens for all devices in both houses too.
  • Both houses has the same router and internet provider (And internet plan. 300mbit)
  • The houses are 300 meters apart.
The computer shop:
So I paid to get this problem fixed at a computer shop near me. He ran the pc overnight, and couldn't get the connection loss to happen. So it apparently only happens at home. But the weird thing is that it happens at both my houses.

My wireless hotspot:
I have tried connecting my pc to my wireless hot spot for a whole day, and I did not get those connection losses. It also doesn't happen when I use data on my phone.

When does this happen?
This happens every 20-25 minutes.

Here is a list of what happens in different games:
Overwatch:

When I play non-competitive, I get kicked out of the current match I am in, without being able to rejoin.
But when I play competitive, I get kicked to the main menu. And from there I am able to click "Rejoin game". Altough I can rejoin, I still get punished by getting -75%XP for the next 5 games.

Minecraft:
It happens when I play on an online server. When the connection drop comes, I can feel the game not responding to what I am doing. And after about 30 seconds I get kicked. When I rejoin after the kick - I lost the progress from the last 30 seconds.
But when I can feel that the game is not responding that much to what I am doing, I am able to check by trying to text something in the chat. If I type something in chat, and the chat doesn't appear on my screen - I can just leave the server and rejoin again. And then I don't have to wait those 30 seconds to get kicked.

Rocket League:
In rocket league I get frozen for like 2 seconds during a match. And I get to play again. So I don't get kicked out of the match. But I do get kicked out of the current group I am playing with.

All the games together:
I can see a pattern in the connection loss. It happens at the same time. When I get disconnected on Overwatch, it happens in Minecraft, Rocket League, discord, and the browser at the same exact time too. (I have tried this)

I really don't know what to do, and this is getting out of hand. I am not such a tech person myself, so I hope some of you guys can help me!

Here is some links to some people that has the same problem:

In these posts they have listed some stuff they already have tried troubleshooting with. I have not tried these things.

If it is easier to help me while speaking on Discord <<Personal information removed by Moderator. Exchange this sort of information via Private Message, please.>> , I am able to do that. Thank you, and sorry for my English!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 4, 2021
Yes. That means you get a new IP address every 24 hours. Do any other devices drop like your PC? Are there any parental controls set up on the router to limit the time you are connected to the internet?
There is no parental control.
And it happens on all devices at both homes. Our phones, work laptops, my macbook, and my gaming desktop. At both homes.

I had a similar issue, internet cutting out sporadically, but it was because when we got rid of cable and kept our internet, we had cable splitters still installed in the house and it was sending interfering signals back and forth, dropping our internet. If that's not the case with you, then hopefully someone else can provide some useful information!

Jan 4, 2021
I had a similar issue, internet cutting out sporadically, but it was because when we got rid of cable and kept our internet, we had cable splitters still installed in the house and it was sending interfering signals back and forth, dropping our internet. If that's not the case with you, then hopefully someone else can provide some useful information!
I have tried switching between ethernet and wifi multiple times. Same problem still happens. And it also happens in 2 different homes. So I don’t think that is the problem.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I would suggest enabling the logging function in your router and then looking for clues for what is happening.

Two houses. Two different public IP addresses. Multiple devices. This points to a system issue.

Have you contacted your ISP for assistance on the matter?

Jan 4, 2021
I would suggest enabling the logging function in your router and then looking for clues for what is happening.

Two houses. Two different public IP addresses. Multiple devices. This points to a system issue.

Have you contacted your ISP for assistance on the matter?
I have not contacted them. And yesterday I took 3 screenshot of the log, 3 separate times I got disconected. But I don’t know how to read logs.
View: https://imgur.com/a/4MTbBm7

Last edited:
You need to go back to the very basic tests to see where the problem is.

Using a game to test network is not really valid. A game is too complex of software that is affected by many things, many times video drivers cause issues that look like network problems when they are not.

It is pretty basic stuff. Start with a constant ping to the router ip. Try ethernet first since wifi will always get some random latency spikes and packet loss. You want to leave this run in the background while you play games so you can check when the game has issues.

This is mostly to see if it is something with your machine or its connections or it is something farther into the internet. Since you are running on completely different ISP connections it is more likely than not it is the PC in some way but before you spend lots of time trying to find it you need to confirm this.

Jan 4, 2021
i, this is a repost of my old post, but with an update!
I have taken 3 screenshots of the routers/internet logs.
All 3 screenshots are when the issue happened. (Read post to know what the problem is)
Link to screenshots:

I added some text under the screenshots so that you can see the time frame where the connection issue happened.

My issue:

I will randomly disconnect from certain games for a couple of seconds, just long enough to be kicked from most game servers. I do not only lose connection to the game but also to any other programs. I also experience this while browsing on google. There is sometimes a time period of 1-5 seconds where nothing loads.
When I am speaking with friends on Discord, and this happens - their voices get cut out for like 0.1 seconds. So the issue is not that big on Discord.

To make it even trickier this does not apply to most games, the only ones I have issues with are Overwatch, Minecraft, and Rocket League.
This issue has been there for a few months now, and it is the most annoying thing ever.
When I get these connection drops for a few seconds, it is enough to kick me out of game servers as I said before.

Ethernet and Wifi:
So this issue happens when I am on an Ethernet cable, but also when I am using my phone - or my desktop on the wireless wifi connection. It also happens on my family members devices.

Different houses:
So my parents are divorced, so I move my desktop between both houses.
This issue happens at both houses.
It happens for all devices in both houses too.
  • Both houses has the same router and internet provider (And internet plan. 300mbit)
  • The houses are 300 meters apart.
The computer shop:
So I paid to get this problem fixed at a computer shop near me. He ran the pc overnight, and couldn't get the connection loss to happen. So it apparently only happens at home. But the weird thing is that it happens at both my houses.

My wireless hotspot:
I have tried connecting my pc to my wireless hot spot for a whole day, and I did not get those connection losses. It also doesn't happen when I use data on my phone.

When does this happen?
This happens every 20-25 minutes.

Here is a list of what happens in different games:
Overwatch:

When I play non-competitive, I get kicked out of the current match I am in, without being able to rejoin.
But when I play competitive, I get kicked to the main menu. And from there I am able to click "Rejoin game". Altough I can rejoin, I still get punished by getting -75%XP for the next 5 games.

Minecraft:
It happens when I play on an online server. When the connection drop comes, I can feel the game not responding to what I am doing. And after about 30 seconds I get kicked. When I rejoin after the kick - I lost the progress from the last 30 seconds.
But when I can feel that the game is not responding that much to what I am doing, I am able to check by trying to text something in the chat. If I type something in chat, and the chat doesn't appear on my screen - I can just leave the server and rejoin again. And then I don't have to wait those 30 seconds to get kicked.

Rocket League:
In rocket league I get frozen for like 2 seconds during a match. And I get to play again. So I don't get kicked out of the match. But I do get kicked out of the current group I am playing with.

All the games together:
I can see a pattern in the connection loss. It happens at the same time. When I get disconnected on Overwatch, it happens in Minecraft, Rocket League, discord, and the browser at the same exact time too. (I have tried this)

I really don't know what to do, and this is getting out of hand. I am not such a tech person myself, so I hope some of you guys can help me!

Here is some links to some people that has the same problem:

In these posts they have listed some stuff they already have tried troubleshooting with. I have not tried these things.

If it is easier to help me while speaking on Discord, I am able to do that. Thank you, and sorry for my English!

Yesterday I tried switching DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 - 8.8.4.4 but it didn't do any difference.

Jan 4, 2021

Using a game to test network is not really valid. A game is too complex of software that is affected by many things, many times video drivers cause issues that look like network problems when they are not.

It is pretty basic stuff. Start with a constant ping to the router ip. Try ethernet first since wifi will always get some random latency spikes and packet loss. You want to leave this run in the background while you play games so you can check when the game has issues.

This is mostly to see if it is something with your machine or its connections or it is something farther into the internet. Since you are running on completely different ISP connections it is more likely than not it is the PC in some way but before you spend lots of time trying to find it you need to confirm this.
Alright, and how do I ping these things`? Do I have to write something in console?

Edit: I think I figured it out. I opened cmd and wrote "ping www.google.dk -t" (I wrote google.dk because I live in Denmark.)I will get back to you when I have an answer

And by the way, I uploaded some screenshots of the logs on the internet/router website

It shows under the pictures at what time frame I lost connection from my games.

Last edited:
It is a very basic command. Not sure how to answer this I am sure there are youtube videos if you can't figure it out from a wiki.

The messages in the modem may not mean much or they may mean there is a different problem than DNS. DNS is only used to convert the name to a IP address. A game only does this when you first start it and many times the game server uses a completely different method to give you servers to play on once the game is running. Problem is the modem may be complaining about DNS when what is actually happening is the internet is going down. This is a DUUUH thing. Of course you can't get to the DNS server if there is no internet. It is like complaining that your monitor screen is black when you have no power to your house.

In any case the test of the internet is or dns is still the same you run ping commands BUT you have to first confirm the problem is not your pc first

Jan 4, 2021
I just pinged it, and experienced a con

I just pinged it and experienced a connection loss in my game.
This is what the ping said:
Reply from 216.58.207.227: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=116
Reply from 216.58.207.227: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=116
Reply from 216.58.207.227: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=116
Reply from 216.58.207.227: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=116
Reply from 216.58.207.227: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=116
Request timed out.
Reply from 216.58.207.227: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=116
Reply from 216.58.207.227: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=116
Reply from 216.58.207.227: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=116
Reply from 216.58.207.227: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=116
Reply from 216.58.207.227: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=116

It just kept going until it hit "Request timed out"

That like your modem results mean nothing by itself. All it tells you is that there is some problem between you and google. Maybe just call google up and tell them there server is broken :)

There is no magic single command that will find this. You need to do the work yourself. Start with ping to your router and work out from there. If it is actually your ISP you are going to have to be skilled enough to educate the level 1 tech on how to use ping and tracert commands. Most these people are clueless, they will click some button and if it comes up green it is good but they have no clue how to really test things.

Reactions: Nicklas2903
Jan 4, 2021
I already know that it isn’t the pc.
It is a very basic command. Not sure how to answer this I am sure there are youtube videos if you can't figure it out from a wiki.

The messages in the modem may not mean much or they may mean there is a different problem than DNS. DNS is only used to convert the name to a IP address. A game only does this when you first start it and many times the game server uses a completely different method to give you servers to play on once the game is running. Problem is the modem may be complaining about DNS when what is actually happening is the internet is going down. This is a DUUUH thing. Of course you can't get to the DNS server if there is no internet. It is like complaining that your monitor screen is black when you have no power to your house.

In any case the test of the internet is or dns is still the same you run ping commands BUT you have to first confirm the problem is not your pc first
I already know that it isn’t the pc. Since it happens on all devices at home, and the guy I paid to fix the pc couldn’t get the connection issue to happen at his store.

Your problem is if it really is something in the ISP network not related to a particular modem since it happens in mulitple locations you likely will never get it fixed. The level 1 tech guys generally have no access to stuff other than the connection to the houses and most have no training on anything else. You have to be able to show the ISP very clearly that it is there problem. You are in effect doing the ISP job for them but if you don't they will dismiss the problem as being your PC. You have to have tests that they can't deny....they will try even then because most are no better than a AI script bot.

Testing the PC in a shop is only 1 clue that the drivers etc are ok. It could still be a cable and/or some issue where your machine is somehow confusing the router. In many ways you want the problem to be here because then you can fix it.

So again first step is to leave constant ping run to the router and see if you get outages when the game says you have issues. Next step is to leave ping run to the router and to the ISP first hop router. This would be used to prove to the ISP that you have no issues in your house but you have issues in the connection between the house and the ISP router. This is the most common place for actual network errors and the level 1 tech guys actually have some tools that might find it.

Jan 4, 2021
Your problem is if it really is something in the ISP network not related to a particular modem since it happens in mulitple locations you likely will never get it fixed. The level 1 tech guys generally have no access to stuff other than the connection to the houses and most have no training on anything else. You have to be able to show the ISP very clearly that it is there problem. You are in effect doing the ISP job for them but if you don't they will dismiss the problem as being your PC. You have to have tests that they can't deny....they will try even then because most are no better than a AI script bot.

Testing the PC in a shop is only 1 clue that the drivers etc are ok. It could still be a cable and/or some issue where your machine is somehow confusing the router. In many ways you want the problem to be here because then you can fix it.

So again first step is to leave constant ping run to the router and see if you get outages when the game says you have issues. Next step is to leave ping run to the router and to the ISP first hop router. This would be used to prove to the ISP that you have no issues in your house but you have issues in the connection between the house and the ISP router. This is the most common place for actual network errors and the level 1 tech guys actually have some tools that might find it.
Oh ok, but I will actually soon (in the next few months) get fiber optics installed. they have already been digging to my house. Will that new fiber connection fix my problem? It is a new company, and the whole city is gonna dumb the old company

If it is a different company then your ISP to avoid losing customers will be more proactive when it comes to fixing stuff. You see this all the time when the cable company only offered say 50mbps and google or someone came in and all the sudden the cable company is offering 500mbps plans.

Fiber may or may not actually be better. Unless they run fiber to the house it can actually be slower than many cable systems. If they use telephone wires for the last part of the connection these systems tend to top out about 75-100mbps. Actual fiber all the way will have slightly less latency than cable...maybe 3-5ms less since cable is already under 10ms to the house. The technology is not better just because it is fiber. Fiber uses a method called GPON in many cases and cable uses DOCSIS. They have very similar functions. They all depend on how good the company running the network is.

Jan 4, 2021
If it is a different company then your ISP to avoid losing customers will be more proactive when it comes to fixing stuff. You see this all the time when the cable company only offered say 50mbps and google or someone came in and all the sudden the cable company is offering 500mbps plans.

Fiber may or may not actually be better. Unless they run fiber to the house it can actually be slower than many cable systems. If they use telephone wires for the last part of the connection these systems tend to top out about 75-100mbps. Actual fiber all the way will have slightly less latency than cable...maybe 3-5ms less since cable is already under 10ms to the house. The technology is not better just because it is fiber. Fiber uses a method called GPON in many cases and cable uses DOCSIS. They have very similar functions. They all depend on how good the company running the network is.
They are going to connect the fiber directly to a new router. And they promised us 1000mbit connection

Ralston18

Titan
What make and model modem and router?

Going out of my comfort zone but feel compelled to ask. I see a pattern in the logs.

Modem login was successful
DNS name resolution failure (1.94.101.100 in-addr.arpa
The WAN DHCP client address 100.101.94.243

followed by more...

DNS name resolution failure (1.94.101.100 in-addr.arpa (without any apparent pattern in the time between those errors).

===============

Where/what is that 1.94.101.100 IP address? Where is that stored? Some "who is" and "where is" searches led to some sketchy websites.

And there is a similarity between the DNS name IP and the WAN DHCP client address: that being the 94.101.100 - almost a reversal of the IP address octets. Is that normal/expected.

OP mentioned setting DNS to Google via 8.8.8.8 with no success.

So why is 1.94.101.100 being used? How does it keep getting into being the DNS server?

pingpath and tracert went 30 hops. Pingpath "computing statistics" was to take 675 seconds.

I would be interested in seeing the results of OP's running pathping and tracert targeting the same IP address or other addresses that may be more applicable or appropriate.

arp -a results as well.

Wondering about the computer's arp table and localhost. Or perhaps Registry settings.

Overall premise being that the computer's configuration is the problem what (reverse engineering) would need to be tweaked to create the behavior? And continue that behavior....

Just thinking out loud.....