Question Lost Bluetooth component in laptop

Alter103

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
Hello!

A year ago I realized problem with bluetooth discovering in my laptop (Toshiba S55D-A5383) - no devices could be detected during BT search. I supposed it was a software problem so reinstalled BT driver, but nothing resolved. Then I realized that BT is completely lost from laptop - before, in Windows 8.1 connection panel there was the toggle option to turn on/off Bluetooth (above or below WIFI toggle), which doesn't exist anymore. I couldn't make any guesses what could happen in a sudden. Can the BT component get malfunctioned? or could be a software problem?

Regards,

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Can you see it in device manager?
Are the service and dependencies checked? in start>run>services.msc? or msconfig?
Also, it may sound silly but ,Check your manual for a key combination , something like fn and f? to turn bluetooth on.

You kinda have 2 choices at this point. From experience windows 8 drivers are a pain to get working in windows 10 and or taking it back to windows 7. So my suggestion is just get a $5.00 to $10.00 BT dongle from Amazon and save yourself the frustration.

If your machine was sitting in front of me I could probably get it working but this one is like jumping down a rabbit hole trying to help going back and forth.

Alter103

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
Can you see it in device manager?
Are the service and dependencies checked? in start>run>services.msc? or msconfig?
Also, it may sound silly but ,Check your manual for a key combination , something like fn and f? to turn bluetooth on.

The question is simple, but the answer is not so. I see BT devices in Device manager, but honestly I am not sure whether the list is complete because I don't remember what else was there. Similarly in Services I see two services which are BT Support Service and Handsfree service - but I think they are not the ones I need.

Alter103

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
You kinda have 2 choices at this point. From experience windows 8 drivers are a pain to get working in windows 10 and or taking it back to windows 7. So my suggestion is just get a $5.00 to $10.00 BT dongle from Amazon and save yourself the frustration.

If your machine was sitting in front of me I could probably get it working but this one is like jumping down a rabbit hole trying to help going back and forth.

Well, yes dongle seems to be optimal solution. I wish these laptops had 4 USB ports as they used to have before. 3 is not sufficient anymore. So having additional USB device is a headache.

Regarding Win 8 drivers, had some issues with 8 but in general I feel OK about it. And again want to mention that it used to work before as it was supposed. in Windows connections tab I had BT on/off button. But for an unknown reason it disappeared and BT work so I feel like in a maze. In overall this builtin BT option in Toshiba seemed confusing to me.

And again want to mention that it used to work before as it was supposed.
I would try this

Make a system restore point..........done

go to your Device Manager locate your BT hardware and Right Click and Uninstall. When asked delete drivers as well say "NO"

when that is done still in Device Manager go up to the top and on the pull down menu choose...........Scan for Hardware Changes............

It should put a fresh BT driver on your computer.

But like I said on the other post I don't %100 have luck with windows 8 as I have watched windows updates right before my eyes remove options that unless fresh install of windows was installed and avoided the kill update mess havoc with certain HP all in ones and Laptops

Alter103

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
At last I could get back to the BT issue. I had to delete drivers and Bluetooth Stack program in order reinstall from scratch.

Need to mention that after uninstalls in Windows Start menu appeared native Bluetooth option, but again no devices found. After BT Stack installation I tried to test it. Strangely in "Add new connection wizard" sometimes found some unknown device mac addresses. I checked them - they don't seem to belong any known device type and actually there couldn't be any device located near to my PC except my phone.

What is strange and a bit good - there is Diagnostics tool in BT stack application. It could be doing same thing as "Add new connection wizard" - don't know, but at least has better options for testing. Test starts at first with device communication then does remote detection test. In all attempts "Communication" is Passed - they all say BT device is working. But remote detection doesn't find any devices around. Only once it detected my phone (I know this by mac address). When I did immediate retest again it Failed to detect as earlier.

Did same test again hours later and similarly only 1 time it could find my phone , but FAIL in all other attempts. So it remains mystical what is really happening - does the hardware have serious failure?

BT-Diagnostics-status-24-05-20.jpg