[SOLVED] Lost Desktop Calendar Gadget ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hikermann

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
PC / Windows 10 :

In Windows 7, I had a three-month calendar tucked in the upper right corner of the desktop screen; since it's been there for years, I have no recollection of where I found it; is there some way to locate it in my system? There's nothing found in Win10's "apps" version of All Programs. I transferred to Win10 earlier this month, and now the calendar is stuck on July 31.

Some comments online regarding a similar situation talk about right-click on the desktop, then click on Gadgets . . . no "gadgets" listing shows up when I right-click, so I have no idea what those folk are talking about.

Related: Every now and then I see a comment about something instructing to "click on the sidebar" . . . which means nothing to me; what are they talking about . . . since MS's goal with Win10 clearly was to NOT retain any of previous simplicity, but create an entirely "new and exciting" (and time-wasting) relearning curve merely to repeat what one did in previous versions. Go figure.

Any info / assistance with the calendar issue much appreciated. Thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
Widgets were removed from the OS since there was a vulnerability report issued pertaining to the way widgets were implemented on the OS. Since you upgraded, you should reinstall the OS, if you mean you upgraded internally from Windows 7 to 10.

Colif

Win 11 Master
In Windows 7, I had a three-month calendar tucked in the upper right corner of the desktop screen; since it's been there for years, I have no recollection of where I found it; is there some way to locate it in my system? There's nothing found in Win10's "apps" version of All Programs. I transferred to Win10 earlier this month, and now the calendar is stuck on July 31.
So its still showing on the desktop?
can you share screenshots? it might help identify it and track down its location on pc - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/image-posting-via-imgur.3773266/

Related: Every now and then I see a comment about something instructing to "click on the sidebar" . . . which means nothing to me; what are they talking about . . . since MS's goal with Win10 clearly was to NOT retain any of previous simplicity, but create an entirely "new and exciting" (and time-wasting) relearning curve merely to repeat what one did in previous versions. Go figure.
they might mean the action centre.

if it loads with windows, look in taskbar/startup tab. it should show you names of everything loading with windows, might give a hint.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master

it is a little tricky

Hikermann

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
[POSTED THE ABOVE PREVIOUSLY; HAVE FOUND A WORKABLE DESKTOP CALENDAR WIDGET WHICH I'VE DOWNLOADED; NOW MY QUESTION HAS CHANGED (below).]

PC / Windows 10 -

Had a three-month calendar widget (previously called it a "gadget" . . . ummm . . . ) on my Windows 7 desktop. Now have moved to Windows 10, and the widget remains (frozen) and does not change dates.

I've found another calendar widget which I've downloaded, but have no idea how to find appropriate info in my system to remove the Win7 widget from the desktop.

Any info / assistance? Again, many thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Screenshot might let us work out what its called so we can track it down

could look in task manager/startup and see if anything obvious is loading in there. it must be a program of sorts if its still on desktop. Can disable it from here so it doesn't run with startup

Might need to look in scheduled tasks, might tell you name of program there

could use this to look at things loading with windows, might also show its name - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

Hikermann

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
Thanks to all!

As I've been futzing around attempting sort this out, I decided (for whatever reason I have no idea) to take a look at Webshots, which I have loaded on as my wallpaper function . . . and as I poked around in there, guess what I found? In addition to my most favorite pix, I had at some moment lost back in the mists of computer time checked the box "Display calendar on Desktop" . . . where it had been obediently sitting with the little date highlight jumping from number to number through all those weary days of my life . . . until Windows 10 came along, and Webshots got its back up and said "I'm freezing!".

So, a simple, mere unchecking of a box has removed the offending used-to-work calendar from view, and All Of Life Is Now Good!

Appreciate y'all helping sort this out.

END OF STORY.

Reactions: Colif
Status
Not open for further replies.