Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2021
Hi, I'm Steve. I have this problem, where when I copy stuff from a laptop/pc into my external hard disk, those files don't show up when I connect the hard disk to my pc. The only solution that worked a few times is when I ran defrag program on the disk. Then the files/folders would show up. But now the copied files/folders seem to be moving into found.xxx folders. I don't know why's that happening. Can anyone tell me what's the reason for that?

Solution
When a Check Disk is run on a drive and it finds corrupted files from Bad Sectors, it tries to move the data off the bad sectors to a good sector near by, This creates a dummy Found.000 file.

Your hard disk is having bad sectors. Might want to consider replacing it.
When a Check Disk is run on a drive and it finds corrupted files from Bad Sectors, it tries to move the data off the bad sectors to a good sector near by, This creates a dummy Found.000 file.

Solution
Jun 6, 2021

So, how long before my drive gets useless? Is there any way to know?

Jun 6, 2021
Your external drive is ALREADY useless - if you can't rely on data being copied to be there when you need it, that's my definition for useless.

Don't play with backups. Bad sectors have the magic property of multiplying.
Yeah, that's true.😢 So, if I just use it to store third-party content(movies, books...) and move personal stuff to another drive, I can use it for as long as it lasts, right? Or does it affect my PC?:unsure:

Jun 7, 2021
If you copy files to another drive, but they immediately become inaccessible or damaged, then you are using a problem hard drive. Check your media urgently for bad sectors. If you have important data left on it, then you can restore it using Rekuva or Uneraser. If the data remains on the working medium, then use another hard disk for backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.