Lost overclocking settings - I swear I never did anything

AndyBlair1972

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Apologies but this must seem like a really basic OC'ing query... I am keen to learn though, so any help or guidance is hugely appreciated - as is your patience.

About a year ago, before the credit crunch took hold :D, I paid a company to build me a new PC. The system they came up with is detailed in my signature. Part of the price included "overclocking services": The 2.4GHz Q6600 CPU was boosted to 3.0HHz while the 4 x 1GB sticks of DDR2 1066MHz Crucial Ballistix RAM were listed as running at 1150MHz.

I don't normally tinker with things if they ain't broken and the system has been ultra-stable for gaming and multi-media for almost a year - so I can't say when this happened - but last night I noticed on AI Suite that everything has reverted back to running at stock speed. I downloaded CPUZ and it too confirms everything is running at stock speed.

I'd love to restore the overclocking back to where it was when I bought it but the company who built the system has ceased to be - as I guess has my warranty...

It seems the Asus Maximus/Q6600/Crucial Ballistix 4X 1GB combination is not an entirely unheaard of combination and I just wondered if anybody could help me reinstate the overclocking settings on mine?

I had a read through the guide to overclocking for Quad Cores and can see I could set my FSB to 333MHz with 9X multiplier to regain the 3.0GHz CPU speed. I get a bit uncertain when we start talking about the memory. My 4 sticks are of the double-sided BL12864AA1065.16FD5 vintage - which I believe have stock timings of 5-5-5-15 at 2.2V...?

I notice AI Suite has some basic overclocking settings within the AI Booster "advanced" section? I can set CPU frequency, CPU ratio, DRAM Frequency, DRAM Voltage and PCI-E frequency. 5 settings? Can't be that simple, can it? Should I really be looking only at doing this in BIOS? Also, does this AI Suite thingy conflict with settings in BIOS? Should I uninstall it (AI Suite).

I'm not looking to tweak every little last drop of performance out of the system, but I would like to restore at least a modest overclock.

As ever, thanks in advance.

Andy

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
the esiest way to set the speed back to stock is to set everything to AUTO in the bios. i have an Asus board too, aparently because i have ai booster and ai Suit. i recommend that you DONT use it though. you should overclock through the bios once you reasearch it a bit. the bios gives you more options than AI booster like voltage control, various intel settings, and the all important RAM latency timings.