Loud Power Supply

G

Last year, I built a Pentium 4 computer. For case and PS, I went with a PowerPC and Cooling Mid-Tower case (which I just love) and their Turbo-Cool 350 ATX/ATX12V.

Now, according to PC Power and Cooling's website, this PS generates 48db of noise. While I don't pretend to understand what that means, I can tell you that it is really, really loud. At least it is to me.

So, two questions:

1. Has anyone else had one of these PS? If so was it also loud?

2. What PS, hopefully somewhat quiet, would you recommend?

Thanks!

G

By the way, I have never switched out a PS before. Pretty easy?

Very easy job. Its in the top 3 easiest jobs in fact.

Four screws usually fix it to the case and you just unplug all power leads from devices, fans and mobo. The hardest part is remembering how many devices were plugged in. So make a list if you need to.

48Db is quite loud. I say that by knowing rather than by you telling me.

Look <A HREF="http://www.quietpc.com/psu.html" target="_new">here</A> for a good quiet PSU. Its 300W and its rated as "less than 26DbA".

I have one, plus other quietpc products, and my system is soft and gentle on the ears.

BTW that site is so decent that they provide an installation <A HREF="http://www.quietpc.com/psuinstall.html" target="_new">guide.</A>

Enjoy!

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
PC Power and Cooling makes good and expansive PSUs. I would not replace the PSU. Maybe you should just change the fan in the PSU but it will void the warranty.

G

Well, on the advice of a friend, I called PC Power and Cooling and for $15.00, they will replace the fan in the power supply with a quiter one.

Agent69

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, if you want a more permanent approach, I'd look at the Enermax Whisper PSUs. I have a 430W Enermax Whisper and I can't hear it at all above my 7000RPM Delta fan, hehe.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
PC power and cooling make gerat PSU. They also sell quiet PSU. They PSU have been consider the best for a long time. The only reason I switch to Enermax is that PC power and cooling PSU are a lot more expensive than the Enermax PSU.

The only thing in the PSU that is making noise is the fan. There is no reason to replace the PSU with Enermax one. You just need to replace the fan which is pretty easy.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Sorry. You are gonna have to type in all caps and bold for us to hear you.

<font color=red>Remember...</font color=red><font color=blue>You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hehe, it' not that bad. After 6 months, I've gotten used to it. In fact, I have the computer in my bedroom and I can sleep through the noise!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
My hearing was damaged in the rangers but didn't know till later.

<font color=red>Remember...</font color=red><font color=blue>You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink: