Question Low CPU and GPU usage?

NoahxX

Commendable
Feb 5, 2020
Hello, since I bought my pc I had this trouble with it, my CPU and GPU usage wont pass 50% in almost every game, I cant reach even 60fps on some games at 1080p, I have tried a lot of things like undervolting my gpu, watched a lot of tutorials about it, even auto undervolt from the amd driver, tried old drivers from asus rog (2k18), tried overclocking it, updated my mb bios, nothing, I have 2 posts before this, and did all that everyone recomended to me: Changing RAM, Disk, also somebody told me that could be temp problem from the cpu since it was always in like 75-80°C, changed the stock cooler to a AEROCOOL one, now I have temps of max 40 while gaming, also tested msi kombustor cpu burner and didnt even reach 60 °C after 10 minutes of stressing. If anybody could help me, this has been a headache for me, im really thinking on buying a 3070 after buying a ryzen 5 probably.

Pc specs:
GPU: ASUS ROG VEGA 64 STRIX 8GB
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 2600 4.00GHZ
DISK: M.2 KINGSON SNVS1000G
MB: ASUS TUF B450 PLUS II
RAM: 2x8 DUAL CHANNEL KINGSTON HYPERX FURY 3600MHZ CLOCKED AT 2933 (postED error when passing from 2933)
PSU: CORSAIR CX750M 80 PLUS

Screenshots:
unknown.png

Links:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/54510121

If anybody can talk to me or something and help me figure how to fix this out, I will be really grateful, thanks to all

Hello, since I bought my pc I had this trouble with it, my CPU and GPU usage wont pass 50% in almost every game, I cant reach even 60fps on some games at 1080p, I have tried a lot of things like undervolting my gpu, watched a lot of tutorials about it, even auto undervolt from the amd driver, tried old drivers from asus rog (2k18), tried overclocking it, updated my mb bios, nothing, I have 2 posts before this, and did all that everyone recomended to me: Changing RAM, Disk, also somebody told me that could be temp problem from the cpu since it was always in like 75-80°C, changed the stock cooler to a AEROCOOL one, now I have temps of max 40 while gaming, also tested msi kombustor cpu burner and didnt even reach 60 °C after 10 minutes of stressing. If anybody could help me, this has been a headache for me, im really thinking on buying a 3070 after buying a ryzen 5 probably.

Pc specs:
GPU: ASUS ROG VEGA 64 STRIX 8GB
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 2600 4.00GHZ
DISK: M.2 KINGSON SNVS1000G
MB: ASUS TUF B450 PLUS II
RAM: 2x8 DUAL CHANNEL KINGSTON HYPERX FURY 3600MHZ CLOCKED AT 2933 (postED error when passing from 2933)
PSU: CORSAIR CX750M 80 PLUS

Screenshots:
unknown.png

Links:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/54510121

If anybody can talk to me or something and help me figure how to fix this out, I will be really grateful, thanks to all
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart, no need safe mode).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 12 on yours since it's 12 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• shut down the PC, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot (if enabled by default), save and exit, go to bios again, reflash to the latest bios (ver 3802 with agesa 1.2.0.7), go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, enable fastest xmp profile (and downclock it to anywhere between 2933 to 3466), set RttNom at 7 (or 34ohm), RttWr at 3 (or 80ohm), RttPark at 1~2 (or 240~120ohm), ProcODT at 53.3, then save and exit.

Optional: disable CSM (should be, by default), enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled). If gpu supports, why not XD

Note: Zen+ cpus are usually capable at 3200mhz C16. Zen+ usually caps at 3400/3466, some golden bin does 3533-3600mhz. If you want to tweak with it you could ask here or dm

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.06.10 as the time im writing this), then reboot.

• Install the latest gpu driver, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, put ram on slot A2 and B2 (slot 2 and 4), also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Reactions: NoahxX
I would start with, dont trust windows manager, it omits windows tasks in background, so you dont know full utilization. grab free AIDA64 Extreme or open resource monitor. On more advanced tools, you might see stuff like IO wait that cpu had, or other interruptions.
before we start, set your gpu power limits to default, even small undervolt can cause everything to run on so low power, that it can half your results.
I assume its one of 3 scenarios, either:
you have IOwait that blocks you. Either drive is close to end of life and writes have to be retried few times, or OS drives is going bananas, because of AV or something else running in the background.
bios/PSU/driver is not giving enough power to some of the components.
you have some power limiter software or registry entrie's and it's windows problem

as for temps & throttle, you should check for throttling under load, if it's not throttling, don't modify anything. I agree that 80's is high, but not crippling high.

Avoid buying anything unless we find a clear root cause.
I would recommend getting some pendrive/old ssd and install ubuntu 22.04 on it, install steam and run same benchmark on Windows and on ubuntu they should be +-15% from one another, (ubuntu might be slower because of pendrive) if windows is slower, we have first indication that its software based problem.
in windows try running more advanced tools for performance and note down how much IOWAIT's it sees, and what is reporting, you can follow this:
if it will tell you high IO wait, you might consider second drive for games or some other disc maintenance.
as for windows registry, you can take https://www.glarysoft.com/ free version and run all the "cleanups" then rebooting.

I hope you will find it.

good luck.

Reactions: NoahxX

NoahxX

Commendable
Feb 5, 2020
I would start with, dont trust windows manager, it omits windows tasks in background, so you dont know full utilization. grab free AIDA64 Extreme or open resource monitor. On more advanced tools, you might see stuff like IO wait that cpu had, or other interruptions.
before we start, set your gpu power limits to default, even small undervolt can cause everything to run on so low power, that it can half your results.
I assume its one of 3 scenarios, either:
you have IOwait that blocks you. Either drive is close to end of life and writes have to be retried few times, or OS drives is going bananas, because of AV or something else running in the background.
bios/PSU/driver is not giving enough power to some of the components.
you have some power limiter software or registry entrie's and it's windows problem

as for temps & throttle, you should check for throttling under load, if it's not throttling, don't modify anything. I agree that 80's is high, but not crippling high.

Avoid buying anything unless we find a clear root cause.
I would recommend getting some pendrive/old ssd and install ubuntu 22.04 on it, install steam and run same benchmark on Windows and on ubuntu they should be +-15% from one another, (ubuntu might be slower because of pendrive) if windows is slower, we have first indication that its software based problem.
in windows try running more advanced tools for performance and note down how much IOWAIT's it sees, and what is reporting, you can follow this:
if it will tell you high IO wait, you might consider second drive for games or some other disc maintenance.
as for windows registry, you can take https://www.glarysoft.com/ free version and run all the "cleanups" then rebooting.

I hope you will find it.

good luck.
Thanks for your reply, so, the m.2 that I'm using I bought it like 3 weeks ago, it works perfectly, and all the tests I did were on a Kingston SSD 120gb (the gray one) with a Seagate HDD 1tb, now I did the tests after buying this m2, and still got same results, so probably after all the components I bought, those were not the problem, the only thing I did not buy was the PSU, im really now thinking that my PSU could be the problem here, also back then when I had the stock cooler of my ryzen, it never did any thermal throttling, and now neither, and when I bought this m2 I did a clean windows install on this m2, but that didn't change anything about performance but really fast loads, and when I set my gpu to +50% on adrenalin software, still has the same watts as will do normally, also my cpu has peaks of around 40% and goes back down to 10% really fast, and my gpu too, from 210/220 watts to 150 or so, like in one second will do 150/170/180/200/210 -- 210/160/150/160 and repeats, all in one second... I don't really know what to do, will buying a new PSU do the thing? Like buying a corsair RM850W 80plus gold... Should I test anything??? Thank you for your help, really

NoahxX

Commendable
Feb 5, 2020
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart, no need safe mode).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 12 on yours since it's 12 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• shut down the PC, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot (if enabled by default), save and exit, go to bios again, reflash to the latest bios (ver 3802 with agesa 1.2.0.7), go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, enable fastest xmp profile (and downclock it to anywhere between 2933 to 3466), set RttNom at 7 (or 34ohm), RttWr at 3 (or 80ohm), RttPark at 1~2 (or 240~120ohm), ProcODT at 53.3, then save and exit.

Optional: disable CSM (should be, by default), enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled). If gpu supports, why not XD

Note: Zen+ cpus are usually capable at 3200mhz C16. Zen+ usually caps at 3400/3466, some golden bin does 3533-3600mhz. If you want to tweak with it you could ask here or dm

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.06.10 as the time im writing this), then reboot.

• Install the latest gpu driver, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, put ram on slot A2 and B2 (slot 2 and 4), also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png
Will test this and reach you with a reply, thanks for your help and time!

Reactions: Koekieezz