[SOLVED] Low FPS and Low GPU Usage

R3kki

Commendable
Jul 29, 2021
Hello I am playing Call of duty Warzone and I have an issue.

I've got like only around 60 FPS in Low settings, and my GPU usage is low also, but I want to make it higher, or I should have more FPS than 60 low settings. I notice weird thing, when i turn graphics up and turn raytracing also, I've got better FPS than Low, and better GPU usage. But I'd rather to get more FPS on lower settings. And I think it's problem in the usage and i don't know how to resolve it.

My specs:
RTX 2060 super
i5-9400F
16gb ram 2666mhz
Z370 h-3
500W

Thank you for any solutions.

Solution
Disregarding driver updates and other 3rd party software you might be running: hardware limited.
Cpu is a non-hyperthreaded hexa core. This game is known to be able to utilize UP TO 12 threads.
I think the cpu needs at least 8 cores/threads for the kind of performance you're looking for in this game.

16GBs dual channel, or single channel? If single, that's also not helping your situation.

I notice weird thing, when i turn graphics up and turn raytracing also, I've got better FPS than Low, and better GPU usage.
It's not weird. You took some of the load off the cpu which is struggling to meet your demands at low settings and put it on the gpu which had some muscle to spare.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Disregarding driver updates and other 3rd party software you might be running: hardware limited.
Cpu is a non-hyperthreaded hexa core. This game is known to be able to utilize UP TO 12 threads.
I think the cpu needs at least 8 cores/threads for the kind of performance you're looking for in this game.

16GBs dual channel, or single channel? If single, that's also not helping your situation.

I notice weird thing, when i turn graphics up and turn raytracing also, I've got better FPS than Low, and better GPU usage.
It's not weird. You took some of the load off the cpu which is struggling to meet your demands at low settings and put it on the gpu which had some muscle to spare.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution
Hey there,

Can't disagree with @Phaaze88 has said. You might check your GPU driver and make sur eyou haven't changed some setting accidently. Go to your Nvidia Control Panel and 'reset to default'. You might actuall do a clean install of the GPU driver to rule it out. Also, check your Windows power profile. Your CPU may be limiting clockspeeds, which could have an affect on your GPU/FPS.

What temps are you hitting with CPU/GPU? Also what PSU have you got running.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Your CPU usage is at 95% which means that no matter how far you turn down graphical settings, it will not increase your fps. This is because your i5-9400f is responsible for pre-rendering the frames that go to the GPU and once it is running flat out, your fps cannot increase. Turning down graphical settings does not usually decrease the load on the CPU, it decreases the load on the GPU, which is why your GPU utilization is so low. Since your GPU isn't being utilized very much at low settings, turning up your graphical settings and enabling ray tracing increases the load on your GPU (but not your CPU) which is why your frame rate does not go any lower.

The way I see it you have 2 options:

1. The cheap option:

If you don't want to or can't spend any money to fix this, you will be limited to the frame rate you have right now; your CPU sets your maximum frame rate in a given game and apparently the limit of the i5-9400f is roughly 60 fps is warzone. Since you can't overclock your CPU and no amount of tweaking settings will significantly change anything, you'll have to live with 60 fps. Since at 60 fps your 2060 super has plenty of utilization left over, you're best option is to turn up graphical settings until your 2060 super approaches 100% utilization. This way you get both the maximum frame rate your CPU allows and the maximum visual fidelity that your GPU allows.

2. The $$$ option:

If you can't deal with only getting 60 fps in warzone, you'll need a more powerful CPU, no way around it.

Since you have a z370 motherboard, you can upgrade your CPU to something like an i7-9700k (which I have in my build and have played warzone with). By upgrading to this, you'll go from 6 cores and 6 threads to 8 cores and 8 threads. Additionally, your boost clock will increase from a maximum of 4.1 GHz with your 9400f to 5.0-5.1 GHz with a 9700k (if you overclock it). Upgrading to a 9700k will allow you to play Warzone at high fps.

Keep in mind as well that the RTX 2060 super is recommended to be paired with a 550 watt PSU (more than what you have) and additionally the 9700k has a higher power draw than the CPU you already have (especially when overclocked) so if you upgraded to a 9700k you should probably also upgrade your PSU to something like a Corsair RM650x.

Reactions: SlavfromBulgaria

R3kki

Commendable
Jul 29, 2021
Your CPU usage is at 95% which means that no matter how far you turn down graphical settings, it will not increase your fps. This is because your i5-9400f is responsible for pre-rendering the frames that go to the GPU and once it is running flat out, your fps cannot increase. Turning down graphical settings does not usually decrease the load on the CPU, it decreases the load on the GPU, which is why your GPU utilization is so low. Since your GPU isn't being utilized very much at low settings, turning up your graphical settings and enabling ray tracing increases the load on your GPU (but not your CPU) which is why your frame rate does not go any lower.

The way I see it you have 2 options:

1. The cheap option:

If you don't want to or can't spend any money to fix this, you will be limited to the frame rate you have right now; your CPU sets your maximum frame rate in a given game and apparently the limit of the i5-9400f is roughly 60 fps is warzone. Since you can't overclock your CPU and no amount of tweaking settings will significantly change anything, you'll have to live with 60 fps. Since at 60 fps your 2060 super has plenty of utilization left over, you're best option is to turn up graphical settings until your 2060 super approaches 100% utilization. This way you get both the maximum frame rate your CPU allows and the maximum visual fidelity that your GPU allows.

2. The $$$ option:

If you can't deal with only getting 60 fps in warzone, you'll need a more powerful CPU, no way around it.

Since you have a z370 motherboard, you can upgrade your CPU to something like an i7-9700k (which I have in my build and have played warzone with). By upgrading to this, you'll go from 6 cores and 6 threads to 8 cores and 8 threads. Additionally, your boost clock will increase from a maximum of 4.1 GHz with your 9400f to 5.0-5.1 GHz with a 9700k (if you overclock it). Upgrading to a 9700k will allow you to play Warzone at high fps.

Keep in mind as well that the RTX 2060 super is recommended to be paired with a 550 watt PSU (more than what you have) and additionally the 9700k has a higher power draw than the CPU you already have (especially when overclocked) so if you upgraded to a 9700k you should probably also upgrade your PSU to something like a Corsair RM650x.
Thank you very much for you respond. But I notice in some games, CPU doesn't use even 40% of usage, same as GPU for example in Valorant, Borderlands 2, Fortnite