Question Low FPS on High/mid end system

Jun 10, 2024
Hello, I am having issues pushing 144 fps with the following specs;

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070ti Gaming OC
Ryzen 9 3900x
ASUS B550-F Gaming Wifi
Corsair Vengeance Pro 32 GB @ 3200mhz XMP on
Windows 11

I am unable to get 144 FPS on titles like Destiny 2 and Black Desert Online and others, I usually hover around 80 fps or lower in certain situations. I have been attempting to troubleshoot this issue for a few months now, I've tried everything to do with drivers as far as uninstalling with DDU, rolling back to older versions, using the newest drivers etc. I have updated my bios to the latest version, installed chipset drivers, reinstalled games and Windows.

Yesterday I replaced my NZXT 750W Gold PSU to a Corsair RM1000x because I was having issues with my PC completely shutting off but temps were normal. I was hoping I may be having some sort of PSU bottleneck but it did not fix my issue, also I purchased the Corsair 12vhpwr cable to use with the new PSU instead of the 2 x 8pin to 12+4pin adapter that came wit my 4070ti but the PC would not boot with the new 12vhpwr cable and showed a GPU issue on the motherboard lights. The GPU is currently pulling 60-80 watts at 80 FPS in a busier town in Black Desert. I have seen people with the 4070ti be locked at 144fps on the same game in this spot. I dont know if the 60-80 watts is indicator that the 12+4pin adapter is not allowing my GPU to get enough power but like I said it would not boot with the 12vhpwer cable and I am not sure why.

My GPU and CPU usage both hover around 30%, the weirdest part to me is that regardless of my graphic settings whether they're extremely low or extremely high the FPS doesn't change, I do not have any FPS limiters or vsync on, my refresh rate is at 144hz and I can hit that 144fps if I am in a dark room with nothing else around.

Because my FPS doesn't change depending on graphic settings I have concluded I may have a pretty bad CPU bottleneck. I am also gaming on 1080p.

Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to observe system performance.

First while not gaming and then while gaming.

Use only one of the tools at a time and leave the tool window open in order to see what the system is doing or trying to do when problems occur.

What changes when the fps drops?

= = = =

With respect to drivers - forego any third party tools or installers. Manually download drivers directly from the applicable manufacturer's website. Install and configure as necessary.

Another matter is the PSU cable. Use only the cables that come with any given PSU make/model. Not sure about that Corsair 12vhpwr cable mentioned in your post....

Did that cable really come from Corsair? Or a different source that advertised the cable as one of those "compatible with" products?

Jun 10, 2024
Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to observe system performance.

First while not gaming and then while gaming.

Use only one of the tools at a time and leave the tool window open in order to see what the system is doing or trying to do when problems occur.

What changes when the fps drops?

= = = =

With respect to drivers - forego any third party tools or installers. Manually download drivers directly from the applicable manufacturer's website. Install and configure as necessary.

Another matter is the PSU cable. Use only the cables that come with any given PSU make/model. Not sure about that Corsair 12vhpwr cable mentioned in your post....

Did that cable really come from Corsair? Or a different source that advertised the cable as one of those "compatible with" products?

Hey thanks for the response. The cable is a corsair product, I purchased both the cable and the PSU from best buy, I looked online beforehand to make sure the cable was compatible with the new PSU and it was stated it should work. Performance idle is 2-5% on CPU and 1% to GPU. Memory hovers around 10% when browsing on Chrome. After launching a game and playing for a bit both CPU and GPU hover around 30% on all games basically. Nothing changes when FPS drops, there is no spikes or anything, 100fps in the woods and 80fps in the town on Black Desert, same with Destiny.

Chances are pretty high that your 3900X is the problem here as Zen 2 isn't exactly great when it comes to gaming. 1080p gaming is typically going to be CPU limited with a video card at the performance level of the 4070 Ti. If you need the higher core count for non-gaming workloads you could look at a 5900X/5900XT/5950X, but if you're just gaming the 5800X3D is the best CPU you can get without replacing motherboard and potentially memory.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Jun 10, 2024
Chances are pretty high that your 3900X is the problem here as Zen 2 isn't exactly great when it comes to gaming. 1080p gaming is typically going to be CPU limited with a video card at the performance level of the 4070 Ti. If you need the higher core count for non-gaming workloads you could look at a 5900X/5900XT/5950X, but if you're just gaming the 5800X3D is the best CPU you can get without replacing motherboard and potentially memory.
Hey, thanks for the reply. Would you recommend I go for the 5800x3d for gaming or just bite the bullet on the 7800x3d? Does the performance justify the investment difference? Would cost nearly $600 to go AM5 or I can stick AM4 for $300

Hey, thanks for the reply. Would you recommend I go for the 5800x3d for gaming or just bite the bullet on the 7800x3d? Does the performance justify the investment difference? Would cost nearly $600 to go AM5 or I can stick AM4 for $300
Honestly it depends on how much of a rush you're in. I think there's definitely merit behind either one as the 5800X3D is a significant improvement over what you have as it would raise you to about Zen 4 (non-X3D) performance without having to change anything else. 7800X3D is much higher performance (~20% over 5800X3D), and will likely beat Zen 5 (non-X3D), while moving to a more advanced platform.

I wouldn't be looking at a new platform right now if I were in your shoes. There's just so much stuff coming in the next ~6 months that I think waiting would be best rather than shifting platform now.

AMD is launching Zen 5 in July with the X3D versions at some point in the future (if they follow Zen 4 timeline I'd expect to see them around CES). There will be new AM5 boards coming later this year which have USB4 support if that's important to you. Intel is also launching Arrow Lake sometime Q4.

Last edited: