[SOLVED] Low FPS on Ryzen 1500x + GTX 1050 ti

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Hello, yesterday I "upgraded" from an FX 8300 to a ryzen 1500x but for my surprise the FPS are similar or worse. In all my tests I've noticed that the CPU is the bottleneck.
Is this the normal performance of a Ryzen 1500x?
Could be that the CPU is defective? I purchased it used on aliexpress for $55 https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32917806151.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.485563c04qQhV9
Any recommendatios? :(

Things I did after the upgrade
-Formatted and reinstalled windows 10 pro.
-Installed latest Nvidia drivers, Realtek HD Audio drivers and Asrock all in 1 Drivers for Ryzen.
-Installled all VC redist and DirectX

Games I've tested so far (minimum graphics settings to discard GPU bottleneck)
Assassin's Creed Unity Hovers at 45-50 FPS with huge random lag spikes.
The witcher 3 - hovers at 40-50 FPS
Assassin's Creed Syndicate hovers at 40-60 FPS
GTA IV hovers at 60 FPS with lag spikes (Sliders at minimum)

Mi current specs are:
Ryzen 1500x @stock (OC doesn't fix anything)
Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition
Asrock B450M-HVD r4.0 BIOS P3.10
Kllisre 16gb DDR4 2666mhz 17-17-17-39 single channel (No the best but I was on a budget)
Zotac 1050 TI OC Edition 4GB GDDR5
Power supply 550W Cooler Master

Assassin's Creed Unity Uplay Original
zsi1zt8.jpg

Assassin's Creed Syndicate
2uht0Oc.png

The Witcher 3 (GOTY) Original Steam
yJAyTQR.png

So a friend of mine lend me his Kingston 8gbx2 DDR4 2666mhz CL16-15-15-15 and here are the results.

AIDA64 Memory benchmark (Before around 21000MB/s)
j4CF1Jq.png

The witcher 3 FPS barely improved by 1-5 (Lowest was 41fps)
7tPkbxi.png

1AYkHDC.png

Assassins creed Unity (Decent improvement around 5-10FPS but still are low FPS and GPU isn't at full)
VM1lNim.jpg

S7t2858.jpg

Assassins creed Syndicate (Quite a huge improvement lowest was 71FPS)
5KClSzH.png

So after the tests in dual-channel I'm certainly dissapointed memory benchmark showed a good improvement, but ingame the performance gain was just meh, this was meant to perform like an old six gen i5-i7, and is performing in games as good as my old FX8300@4.2ghz, Do you have other ideas of the performance issues, I'm afraid that the CPU could be defective or something.

Last edited:
Solution
1)Witcher 3:
Not entirely sure what's going on here. Both the cpu and gpu have fairly moderate loads.
I'd suspect drivers.

2)AC: U:
90% on Thread 3, but it was just a spike and not consistent. There's still a little headroom left.

3)AC: S:
Gpu is pretty much maxed out here. Cpu has a little left here too.

-It's nice that you were able to test a dual channel kit, but there is still performance missing off the table. That's still a 2666mhz kit and not 3200mhz, which is the optimal memory config.

-Is Windows up to date? Power plan on Ryzen Balanced?

-Motherboard drivers are updated?

-Use Display Driver Uninstaller(https://www.wagnardsoft.com/) to completely remove the older graphics drivers and install the newest drivers...

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Hello, yesterday I "upgraded" from an FX 8300 to a ryzen 1500x but for my surprise the FPS are similar or worse. In all my tests I've noticed that the CPU is the bottleneck.
Is this the normal performance of a Ryzen 1500x?
Could be that the CPU is defective? I purchased it used on aliexpress for $55 https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32917806151.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.485563c04qQhV9
Any recommendatios? :(

Things I did after the upgrade
-Formatted and reinstalled windows 10 pro.
-Installed latest Nvidia drivers, Realtek HD Audio drivers and Asrock all in 1 Drivers for Ryzen.
-Installled all VC redist and DirectX

Games I've tested so far (minimum graphics settings to discard GPU bottleneck)
Assassin's Creed Unity Hovers at 45-50 FPS with huge random lag spikes.
The witcher 3 - hovers at 40-50 FPS
Assassin's Creed Syndicate hovers at 40-60 FPS
GTA IV hovers at 60 FPS with lag spikes (Sliders at minimum)

Mi current specs are:
Ryzen 1500x @stock (OC doesn't fix anything)
Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition
Asrock B450M-HVD r4.0 BIOS P3.10
Kllisre 16gb DDR4 2666mhz 17-17-17-39 single channel (No the best but I was on a budget)
Zotac 1050 TI OC Edition 4GB GDDR5
Power supply 550W Cooler Master

Assassin's Creed Unity Uplay Original
zsi1zt8.jpg

Assassin's Creed Syndicate
2uht0Oc.png

The Witcher 3 (GOTY) Original Steam
yJAyTQR.png

Your using single channel ram on a ryzen processor?

Theres your issue.

Ryzen likes fast ram, and single channel memory is definately not recommended for any gaming rig, let alone with a ryzen cpu. Not to mention the ram is slow and has a higher than normal cl latency of 17.

Your cpu is angry with you right now lol

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Your using single channel ram on a ryzen processor?

Theres your issue.

Ryzen likes fast ram, and single channel memory is definately not recommended for any gaming rig, let alone with a ryzen cpu. Not to mention the ram is slow and has a higher than normal cl latency of 17.

Your cpu is angry with you right now lol

Do you think that's the issue? I know how ryzen 1st gen reacts to RAM speeds, but I don't think getting FPS as low as 30 in the witcher is caused by that, Also I tried overclocking the ram to 3000mhz cl17, but the FPS didn't improved at all, worth to mention I don't have AMD cool 'n Quiet in the BIOS, my CPU is always working at 3.5-3.6ghz.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Do you think that's the issue? I know how ryzen 1st gen reacts to RAM speeds, but I don't think getting FPS as low as 30 in the witcher is caused by that, Also I tried overclocking the ram to 3000mhz cl17, but the FPS didn't improved at all, worth to mention I don't have AMD cool 'n Quiet in the BIOS, my CPU is always working at 3.5-3.6ghz.
It IS the issue.

It only takes a single thread to be cpu limited.
Image 1: 87% cpu usage. I wonder how many threads are being pegged at 100%.
Image 2: 78%.
Image 3: 68%.
In all 3 images, there's clearly at least one cpu thread at 100% usage.

Some 10 or so years ago, single channel game configs worked and weren't that much worse in performance than dual channel ones. That's not the case anymore.
It matters even more now in cpu bound situations, and yours is one such situation.

Reactions: Jason H.

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
It IS the issue.

It only takes a single thread to be cpu limited.
Image 1: 87% cpu usage. I wonder how many threads are being pegged at 100%.
Image 2: 78%.
Image 3: 68%.
In all 3 images, there's clearly at least one cpu thread at 100% usage.

Some 10 or so years ago, single channel game configs worked and weren't that much worse in performance than dual channel ones. That's not the case anymore.
It matters even more now in cpu bound situations, and yours is one such situation.

Such a shame to know that, I was really on a budget and atm can't afford to purchase the second module to activate the dual channel, so in conclusion Ryzen in single channel gets outperformed by an old FX8300 by a bit. In regard to the CPU thread optimization they are all working at around 50% none is maxed at 100%.

The Witcher 3 thread utilization and performance after OC
CPU OC @3.9ghz
RAM OC @3000mhz CL17
J1mneP4.png

Such a shame to know that, I was really on a budget and atm can't afford to purchase the second module to activate the dual channel, so in conclusion Ryzen in single channel gets outperformed by an old FX8300 by a bit. In regard to the CPU thread optimization they are all working at around 50% none is maxed at 100%.

The Witcher 3 thread utilization and performance after OC
CPU OC @3.9ghz
RAM OC @3000mhz CL17
J1mneP4.png

brother, a new 16gb 2x8gb kit of 3200mhz ram is only like 60-70$ nowadays. Id reccommend going that route as soon as possible as memory prices are most likely going to go up in price soon.

Your getting bad performance because of single channel. You could boost the 1 chip to 40000000000mhz lol, okay not really, but yea it still wouldnt work.

Single channel RAM will have a significant impact on gaming performance. You can Google reviews on this. However adding another stick is not advised, RAM should be bought in matched kits to avoid compatibility issues. Even buying the same make and model is not guaranteed to work without issues. First generation Ryzen was also particularly fussy with RAM so has an increased chance of issues if you try and add another stick. You are best to sell what you have and buy a matched kit.

Even buying the same make and model is not guaranteed to work without issues.

just to be clear on this, as you are 100% correct, but when you buy the same make and model, more times than not it works. Ive never had an issue with buying a 2nd chip of the same make and model, but maybe I just got lucky.

However yea I still wouldnt do that as his ram is slow anyways he needs updated faster ram for ryzen in dual channel.

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
brother, a new 16gb 2x8gb kit of 3200mhz ram is only like 60-70$ nowadays. Id reccommend going that route as soon as possible as memory prices are most likely going to go up in price soon.

Your getting bad performance because of single channel. You could boost the 1 chip to 40000000000mhz lol, okay not really, but yea it still wouldnt work.

I'm still a student and in my country the minimum wage for a part time job is $140 if you can find a part time job because is really hard, these memories despite being chinese overclock quite easy and the 16gb module cost me $40 with a coupon, I wanted a 16gb module so I could upgrade to 32gb in the next three months (my motherboard only supports 2 ram modules).

Also here only Aliexpress makes international free shipping (around 30 days), so Amazon and Ebay are out of the equation they charge around $45 shipping if available .

So when I say that I was on a budget trust me I really was, spending $20-30 more was not an option for me :(

AIDA64 memory bench
Xd4PL4k.png

Last edited:

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
Single channel RAM will have a significant impact on gaming performance. You can Google reviews on this. However adding another stick is not advised, RAM should be bought in matched kits to avoid compatibility issues. Even buying the same make and model is not guaranteed to work without issues. First generation Ryzen was also particularly fussy with RAM so has an increased chance of issues if you try and add another stick. You are best to sell what you have and buy a matched kit.

From my experience, not true at all!

Sandywich999

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
Mostly true, but then again I'm here using 2xVengence 1866Mhz, 1xVS 1333Mhz, 1xGSkill 1333Mhz in my build. They're different speeds, different banks and density, but still work lol

Sandywich999

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
Are you sure about that?

The faster dimms should clock down to match the slower ones, so the 2x Vengeance dimms are also running at 1333mhz.
Yeah they are, all of them run at 1333 CL9. This mobo doesn't allow Ram OC so I'm stuck with this for now, getting around 18000MB/s bandwidth on them. I just wanted to highlight that they DO work together

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
You don't see high fps rates. Gtx 1050 ti is lower end card, and can't achieve high fps. Buy gtx 1060/1070 or something similar. Ram is not problem.

As you can see in the screenshots the GPU is not working at full, I lowered the graphic settings to avoid GPU bottleneck, in those tests the GPU is working around 70%. If I increase the graphics settings the FPS counter barely changes by 1-2fps, so the bottleneck is related to the CPU.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You don't see high fps rates. Gtx 1050 ti is lower end card, and can't achieve high fps.
BS Alert!
https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti/amd-ryzen-5-1500x/low/?lang=en&currency=usd

Buy gtx 1060/1070 or something similar.
And watch as the OP claims that fps barely changed...

As you can see in the screenshots the GPU is not working at full, I lowered the graphic settings to avoid GPU bottleneck, in those tests the GPU is working around 70%. If I increase the graphics settings the FPS counter barely changes by 1-2fps, so the bottleneck is related to the CPU.
Your setup is certainly capable of high fps at low, but you have to fix the memory limitation.
The cpu and ram do not work independently of one another, but as a pair; they work in tandem. The cpu is currently being held back by the ram, and thus not running at peak performance.

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Unfortunately, Ryzen loves ram. Fast ram. Dual channel is better. Is there a possibility of selling your older equipment? That might give you enough to get a matched stick.
I gave it to my brother, we both saved money for this Motherboard+CPU+Ram, so he would remain with the FX and I will remain with the Ryzen, I will save some extra money, in 2-3 months I hope I have the second DIMM, and I will post an update, perhaps a comparison.