Question Low GPU & CPU usage with 3080 and poor performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2023
Hey! This is my first post so bear with me if I word vomit.

I've been having an ongoing performance issue with a new PC build of mine.

Here are the specs:

• MSI G241 24'' 1080p 144hz Monitor
  • Ryzen 5 5600X
  • EVGA FTW3 ULTRA RTX 3080 10GB LHR
  • 2x16GB DDR4 3600
  • 1TB & 2TB M.2 SSD
  • 750W Power Supply
  • Full specs here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bZK3rD
A little bit of backstory. I'm on summer break right now and decided to build an upgrade PC for back home. Decided I would save some money and take my 3080 home with me to use while I'm on break. It was secured safely in the box it was purchased in and I carried it with me on the plane so no damage should've been dealt. I never experienced any choppiness or anything with this build. On Valorant I'd be averaging 300+ frames, Destiny would be at like 160+ during a 6v6 PvP match.

Note: The college PC was built in August of 2022, specs here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rtF6Bj

I don't play many super taxing games, the main ones I play are Valorant, Destiny 2, and Rust. I started noticing issues at first with Valorant. Comparing it to my college PC build, the framerates were much worse. On this new PC I would be averaging around 250 FPS with frequent dips down to 150 which feels HORRIBLE especially in a comp game. In Destiny 2 it gets like 130 FPS in a 6v6 match and dips down to low 100s or even below 100. I checked my temps and they all seemed to be fine, running very cool. The same trend occurs with the other games I play too. Lower than expected framerates and many dips to muuuuch lower frames. I tried lowering the quality on the games as well and the results are the same.

Via TaskManager, In every game I have tested my PC uses around 50% CPU and 30% GPU. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to PC troubleshooting, but from what I've read, that is low usage especially concerning the GPU.

This is the troubleshooting I've done so far:

• Made sure the graphics card is on the best PCIE slot
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled graphics drivers
  • Disabled HPET
  • Changed Power settings to maximum in NVIDIA Control Panel and Windows Power Settings
  • Ensured RAM is running at 3600MHz, installed on slots 2 and 4
I'm currently talking to EVGA about this issue to see if they can help out at all, but it seems like they don't really understand what's going on either. Their most recent request was that I send them my results in a benchmarking test using 3DMARK FireStrike, and they said my results are great, and said they don't recommend I get a replacement GPU. I'm just really confused why my PC would perform well on a benchmark test for gaming and not gaming itself? Here are the FireStrike results: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/95352846?

The results for the FireStrike test seem really good so it just does not make sense to me. Why can my PC perform well in a gaming benchmark test but not gaming itself? I've read through a lot of different posts about the same topic and they always seem to go unresolved. Any ideas? And if you need any more info from me, let me know.

Lutfij

Titan
A little bit of backstory. I'm on summer break right now and decided to build an upgrade PC for back home. Decided I would save some money and take my 3080 home with me to use while I'm on break.
What GPU were you running prior to the RTX3080?

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Uninstalled and reinstalled graphics drivers
Using DDU, I presume?

Jun 9, 2023
Thanks for the reply!!

What GPU were you running prior to the RTX3080?
I didn't clarify very well. It's an entirely new build and am working on selling my old one which has a 2060 and a Ryzen 7 3700x with 16GB ram.

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?
I have version 1.3 according to Command Prompt

Using DDU, I presume?
Yes, I uninstalled using DDU.

Status
Not open for further replies.