Feb 19, 2019
Greetings,

Just recently, I built a custom PC and was testing stuff out. While everything seems to be working fine I have some doubts about the WD Green M.2 240gb SSD. When I run AS SSD Benchmark the numbers and the score seem very low.

BIOS updated to latest version,
IDE ATA/ATAPI - Intel 300 Series chipset family SATA AHCI Controller??,
SSD firmware up to date.
SATA operation mode is AHCI.
Power mode to High Performance.

These are the results:
WD Green M.2 SSD Benchmark

Here is the build:
Intel core i5 8500 3.0Ghz
MSI B360M Pro-vdh
Asus Rog Strix 1080 6Gb DDR5
Corsair Vengance 8Gb x1 2400Mhz DDR4
Njoy Titan, 500W PSU
WD Green M.2 2280 - wds240g2g0b
250GB HDD Samsung HD252HJ 7200 rp/m

Are those numbers normal for this ssd? I found some other tests showing way higher results.
Thanks in advance.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the replies. I did change to 1GB and run the test again. It improved the read speeds slightly but still nowhere near the manufacturers advertisement or the other reviews.

WD Green SSD M.2 Benchmark #2
Your 8GB single DIMM RAM might be limiting your benchmark. That will limit the bandwidth of the CPU. Is is probably also impacting some game performance since you have a 1080 graphics card.

Feb 19, 2019
Your 8GB single DIMM RAM might be limiting your benchmark. That will limit the bandwidth of the CPU. Is is probably also impacting some game performance since you have a 1080 graphics card.

Thanks.
The plan is to add another 8GB stick soon, just needed an expert’s opinion in case it is a faulty ssd which I’d send back, but I guess I’m keeping it and upgrading RAM?
Would that make it go anywhere close to the review you linked?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I think kanewolf is onto something here. The system is not working in dual-channel mode and that has some impact on data transfer and that would definitely show in a synthetic test/benchmark.

Although the results of such tests do not necessarily reflect real-world scenarios. Then again the are figures and numbers don't lie.

Before deciding whether the drive is performing below par or not do some other tests/benchmarks.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks.
The plan is to add another 8GB stick soon, just needed an expert’s opinion in case it is a faulty ssd which I’d send back, but I guess I’m keeping it and upgrading RAM?
Would that make it go anywhere close to the review you linked?
I wouldn't obsess about benchmark numbers. They don't reflect real world performance and they add write cycles on the disk. I don't think it is defective.