Status
Not open for further replies.

Elixs

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
I've been having way too slow upload speeds on my computer. I have 100Mb download speed and 10Mb upload speed, but my computer just has 2Mb upload speed, with sometimes not even reaching 1Mb. My computer is connected through an Ethernet cable. Last week my cousin was with me, he is a Network Technician, and so he tried a lot of things. He used the same Ethernet cable as my computer to test it on his laptop, which had 10 and even 12Mb upload speed. He also tried to share some data through the local network, and surprise surprise, it was at normal speed, not the 2Mb. I did uninstall all my VPN's (SoftEther VPN and Hamachi) and yet the same result, having 2Mb upload speed. I did also install Windows on a new SSD that I just got two days earlier, so I took advantage that it was with pretty much nothing on it and installed Windows on it and disconnected the main SSD and HDD, and the upload speed was the same, so I don't think it's a software problem. My cousin told me already the problem, he thinks my computer it's haunted lol. He didn't find the problem nor the solution.
Any advice? Should I just go ahead and change the motherboard or do something else?
Thanks in advance.

Edit (responding to Ralston18): PC SPECS:
  • Asus H310M-K Motherboard
  • Processor Intel® Core™ i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80 GHz
  • Video Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super OC Gigabyte Windforce
  • RAM 16.0 GB HyperX DDR4 2400Mhz (2x8 GB)
  • Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
  • 250 GB SSD
  • 3 TB HDD 7.2K RPM
  • PSU Gigabyte G750H 80+ Gold
  • Tp-Link TG-3468 Gigabit adapter
ISP: Personal, Paraguay, 100Mb Optical Fiber
Personal router: Huawei
Router in my bedroom (the one I'm currently using): TP-LINK AC1200
The tools I'm using to test my speed are https://www.speedtest.net/result/10282856366 and www.fast.com

Last edited:
Solution
Maybe you guys don't care anymore, but I already found a solution, and I'll mark it as an answer in the case that it works for someone else. What I did to solve it is to install a whole new Ethernet cable that goes from my main router (or modem) all the way directly to my computer. That solved the problem.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

ISP?

Make and model : modem, router?

What tools or utilities are you using to test speeds?

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt and post the results.

Elixs

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

ISP?

Make and model : modem, router?

What tools or utilities are you using to test speeds?

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt and post the results.
Here
C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Amir
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0C-9D-92-C0-78-8F
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-Link Gigabit PCI Express Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 50-3E-AA-0A-64-B8
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::68dc:997:e313:bd8c%9(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.185(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, October 20, 2020 6:05:51 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 21, 2020 6:05:50 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::1%9
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 156253866
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-27-01-77-E7-0C-9D-92-C0-78-8F
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::1%9
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
I also updated the post and added evertything you told me to.

Ralston18

Titan
You listed two routers.

How are the routers connected?

Network line diagram as I understand your post:

ISP (Paraguay) --- optic fiber----> Modem --- Ethernet cable -----> [WAN Port] Huawei Router [LAN port] ---Ethernet cable -----> [LAN port] TP-Link router[LAN port] ---- Ethernet cable ----> [TP Link Network adapter] Amir computer

Correct and edit my line diagram as necessary.

Make and model modem?

Which router is responsible for assigning DHCP IP addresses? Only one router should be doing so and I would expect that that router is the Huawei.

Therefore DHCP should be disabled on your bedroom router which makes the router basically just a switch. What other devices are connected to your bedroom router?

Does your ISP provide IPv6 service?

Elixs

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
You listed two routers.

How are the routers connected?

Network line diagram as I understand your post:

ISP (Paraguay) --- optic fiber----> Modem --- Ethernet cable -----> [WAN Port] Huawei Router [LAN port] ---Ethernet cable -----> [LAN port] TP-Link router[LAN port] ---- Ethernet cable ----> [TP Link Network adapter] Amir computer

Correct and edit my line diagram as necessary.

Make and model modem?

Which router is responsible for assigning DHCP IP addresses? Only one router should be doing so and I would expect that that router is the Huawei.

Therefore DHCP should be disabled on your bedroom router which makes the router basically just a switch. What other devices are connected to your bedroom router?

Does your ISP provide IPv6 service?
Yes and no. In my country, we don't use Modem's, but the Personal router (Huawei) is like some sort of Modem. Already showed what you told me to my cousin (the network technician) and told me that the problem it's not on my network, but on my computer. My computer has something which caps the upload speed on the Internet to 0.5-3Mb, because when I transfer something through the local network, it works just fine, so the problem is on my computer.

I don't think it's hardware on your system, but some sort of software issue. So to confirm this, boot up a linux live cd/usb and run a speed test there and see if your upload is normal. If so, then it's a windows software issue somewhere. Otherwise, we need to continue looking into the network or maybe your motherboard nic.

Reactions: Ralston18

Elixs

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
I don't think it's hardware on your system, but some sort of software issue. So to confirm this, boot up a linux live cd/usb and run a speed test there and see if your upload is normal. If so, then it's a windows software issue somewhere. Otherwise, we need to continue looking into the network or maybe your motherboard nic.
Ok, I'll research on how to boot up Linux from an USB and tell you the results. And maybe this information works, but I already installed Windows on a new SSD and left only that SSD without my other drives, and the speed test was the same as before. But anyway, I'll try to see it from Linux.

Elixs

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
Already created the bootable USB. Should I disconnect my other drives or nah? I'm currently in a class, so I'll do it as soon as I finish.

Elixs

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
I wasn't able to actually boot up Linux from the USB. Do I really need to install it on a disk or can I boot it up from an USB?

Elixs

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
Update: Already changed my Motherboard. I did it because I needed to change it, and surprise surprise, I still can't get the 10MB upload speed. At least now I have 3.5 instead of the 2.5 that I used to have, but I'm still disappointed. Any help?

Elixs

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
Guys, I was finally able to boot up Linux from a USB, I was doing it the wrong way. I did test the speed test on Speedtest.net, and the results were amazing, with 86 download speed and 11 upload speed.
Please, guys, come back to me, I need your help and you guys were the only ones that even took the time to answer this topic, I need your help. Don't leave me behind. :c

Ralston18

Titan
Reference your PM to me:

"Bro, I need your help please, you and another guy were the only ones that took the time to answer my topic about my low upload speed, don't leave me behind please. :c "

Please no PM's. Keep everyone in the loop and post only to the applicable thread. (Meaning this thread.)

==================

My thought:

As for getting to 86 download speed and 11 upload speed that is very likely all that you will get.

May vary a bit depending on users and associated traffic...

But you will not get the full advertised, contractual speeds. Those speeds were established under ideal conditions and very likely your ISP contract has lots of fine print and footnotes that say just that.

Now is time to use Resource Monitor to observe Network performance. Learn what all is running and make note of that.

Also learn to use the Command Prompt: "ping", "tracert", and "pathping" can be useful to identify a problem and determine possible causes. Some of which may or may not be in your control nor that of your ISP.

Then, if the problem returns, you can check again to determine what may have changed.

The problem may not be immediately resolvable but the knowing may save you from taking drastic and unnecessary and measures regarding hardware and software.

There may be other comments and suggestions - I have no problem with that.

Elixs

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
Reference your PM to me:

"Bro, I need your help please, you and another guy were the only ones that took the time to answer my topic about my low upload speed, don't leave me behind please. :c "

Please no PM's. Keep everyone in the loop and post only to the applicable thread. (Meaning this thread.)

==================

My thought:

As for getting to 86 download speed and 11 upload speed that is very likely all that you will get.

May vary a bit depending on users and associated traffic...

But you will not get the full advertised, contractual speeds. Those speeds were established under ideal conditions and very likely your ISP contract has lots of fine print and footnotes that say just that.

Now is time to use Resource Monitor to observe Network performance. Learn what all is running and make note of that.

Also learn to use the Command Prompt: "ping", "tracert", and "pathping" can be useful to identify a problem and determine possible causes. Some of which may or may not be in your control nor that of your ISP.

Then, if the problem returns, you can check again to determine what may have changed.

The problem may not be immediately resolvable but the knowing may save you from taking drastic and unnecessary and measures regarding hardware and software.

There may be other comments and suggestions - I have no problem with that.
I get 85 and 11 on Linux, but on Windows I get 85 and 2, that's the problem.
Anyway, I'll just send it to a technician this Thursday.

Ralston18

Titan
Default settings and they match my computer's settings.

Are the Delivery Optimization settings the same on any other network computers?

Do you have data limit concerns?

Per @SamirD (Post #6) I am thinking software.

Software configuration or software bug? TBD....

FYI:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...imiting-the-bandwidth-used-by-windows-update/

Are you able to experiment with the configuration settings?

Just change only one thing at a time and speed test as you have been doing.

Keep notes so you can reverse any tested configuration changes.

Note:

I ran both speed tests/tools that you linked in Post #1 and also Microsoft's Network Speed Test.

Not seeing any decline in Upload Speed - all three tests overall in agreement.

Going to run a few speed/optimization tests on my own and use Resource Monitor to observe network activity.

Elixs

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
Default settings and they match my computer's settings.

Are the Delivery Optimization settings the same on any other network computers?

Do you have data limit concerns?

Per @SamirD (Post #6) I am thinking software.

Software configuration or software bug? TBD....

FYI:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...imiting-the-bandwidth-used-by-windows-update/

Are you able to experiment with the configuration settings?

Just change only one thing at a time and speed test as you have been doing.

Keep notes so you can reverse any tested configuration changes.

Note:

I ran both speed tests/tools that you linked in Post #1 and also Microsoft's Network Speed Test.

Not seeing any decline in Upload Speed - all three tests overall in agreement.

Going to run a few speed/optimization tests on my own and use Resource Monitor to observe network activity.
I'm not able to change the settings, at least not for the upload speed. Changed a bit on download speed, tested on speedtest.net, nothing changed.
I pretty much don't know what to do next. I tried everything, it works fine on Linux, but not on Windows. I did also install Windows on a new SSD last week, but the results were the same, with 2Mb upload speed. The only time in which I had the upload speed I'm paying for was when I was using Linux Ubuntu.

Guys, I was finally able to boot up Linux from a USB, I was doing it the wrong way. I did test the speed test on Speedtest.net, and the results were amazing, with 86 download speed and 11 upload speed.
Please, guys, come back to me, I need your help and you guys were the only ones that even took the time to answer this topic, I need your help. Don't leave me behind. :c
Sorry I missed your posts. :( Excellent work! Now we know the hardware is fine as it seems to be very close to your proper speeds. :)

So the thing I would try with the Delivery Optimization is manually set everything to 'fast'. So set download absolute bandwidth for foreground and background to 1000Mbps and check both boxes. This way you're forcing it to run wide open.

And then under Upload settings check that box and set it to 100% and make sure the monthly upload limit box is not checked.

If this doesn't work, the only other idea I have is to try installing a nic that is made by a different manufacturer than that on the motherboard (as it will force completely different drivers to install) and see if that changes anything.

Elixs

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
Sorry I missed your posts. :( Excellent work! Now we know the hardware is fine as it seems to be very close to your proper speeds. :)

So the thing I would try with the Delivery Optimization is manually set everything to 'fast'. So set download absolute bandwidth for foreground and background to 1000Mbps and check both boxes. This way you're forcing it to run wide open.

And then under Upload settings check that box and set it to 100% and make sure the monthly upload limit box is not checked.

If this doesn't work, the only other idea I have is to try installing a nic that is made by a different manufacturer than that on the motherboard (as it will force completely different drivers to install) and see if that changes anything.
Don't know what you mean by the Delivery Optimization part, so this is how I set it up: View: https://imgur.com/a/15xqlk7

Still the same results, with 2.8Mb upload speed.
And what is that "nic" thing you guys are mentioning? I don't get it.

Elixs

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
Don't know what you mean by the Delivery Optimization part, so this is how I set it up: View: https://imgur.com/a/15xqlk7

Still the same results, with 2.8Mb upload speed.
And what is that "nic" thing you guys are mentioning? I don't get it.
Already googled what a NIC is. I believe it is like a Gigabit Ethernet adapter, right? If that's the case, I'm afraid to tell you that it didn't work, since I already bought a Gigabit Ethernet adapter, to be specific, the Tp-Link TG-3468. In fact, I'm currently using that same Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, and it doesn't work either, with 2Mb upload speed.

Elixs

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
Maybe you guys don't care anymore, but I already found a solution, and I'll mark it as an answer in the case that it works for someone else. What I did to solve it is to install a whole new Ethernet cable that goes from my main router (or modem) all the way directly to my computer. That solved the problem.

Solution

bignastyid

Titan
"If you post a problem then find the solution (or an appropriate fix) yourself, it is appropriate to post the solution. However, you must not award yourself a Best Answer trophy "
Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS