[SOLVED] M.2 Drive on Aorus X470 Gaming 5 Wifi

Thorfax

Commendable
Nov 14, 2019
Hi there,

I've recently purchased this motherboard.

It has 2 M.2 slots.

In the M.2 A slot I have a WD Blue 1tb NAND M.2 SSD which is my boot drive and registers fine.

In my M.2 B slot I have a Pioneer M.2 Internal Solid State Drive SSD Series (PCIe Gen 3 x 4 2TB). This seems to not be working! It doesn't show up in the file manager or bios, also the physical SSD itself needs to be turned upside down to fit in the motherboard, implying the motherboard is not compatible with it, even though in the manual it specifically states that the M.2 B slot is only compatible with PCIe M.2's?

Help!!

Thorfax

Commendable
Nov 14, 2019
Haven't swapped em over yet, but something interesting: when the pcie m.2 was in the m.2B slot, the red VGA light on the motherboard kept coming on during boot and nothing showed on the monitor, then when I removed it this problem stopped.

I swapped them round, when I did the Pioneer PCIe was indeed recognizer by the m. 2A slot but the WD Blue was not recognised by the m. 2B slot

That was my guess...

The M.2 B port says this:

PCIe 2.0 x4/x2 SSD support

But the SSD Pioneer that you have says this:

PCIe Gen3x4

I can not find any information in the Pioneer page about backwards compatibility with PCIe 2.0 but based on the results seems that does not support that.

Thorfax

Commendable
Nov 14, 2019
That was my guess...

The M.2 B port says this:

But the SSD Pioneer that you have says this:

I can not find any information in the Pioneer page about backwards compatibility with PCIe 2.0 but based on the results seems that does not support that.
Well bollocks, so you're saying I need a gen 2 not a gen 3, because that m.2B slot is not up to date enough to read a d write to a gen 3 PCIe?

Well bollocks, so you're saying I need a gen 2 not a gen 3, because that m.2B slot is not up to date enough to read a d write to a gen 3 PCIe?

Yep, basically.

Sounds crazy since that Gen 3 SSD should be backwards with Gen 2 but the information in the Pioneer's pages does not mention that is backwards with Gen2.

Based in the BIOS recognizing the SSD in the M.2A that is Gen 3 but not in the M.2B that is Gen 2, I make that conclusion.

Thorfax

Commendable
Nov 14, 2019
Yep, basically.

Sounds crazy since that Gen 3 SSD should be backwards with Gen 2 but the information in the Pioneer's pages does not mention that is backwards with Gen2.

Based in the BIOS recognizing the SSD in the M.2A that is Gen 3 but not in the M.2B that is Gen 2, I make that conclusion.
Thank you so much for your help! Any chance you could recommend a correct SSD for me? I don't want to make the same mistake twice!