Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2018
So Guys & Gals,
(Background)I have a 2015 ASUS ROG G751JY-DB72 that I am wanting to upgrade my OEM 250GB M.2 (Samsung PART# MZPHU256HCGL, Model: MZ-HPU256T/005. From my research, I've discovered its an M-KEY PCI-E X4. I originally ordered a Samsung 970 EVO which windows nor the device manager would recognize. So I had to send it back.
Barty1884, recommended 2 different drives that are supposed to work. I have ordered the
Or a 512GB WD Black for $150
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wjDzK8/western-digital-black-512gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-wds512g1x0c
I am trying to understand what the install process is better. I've read to use a USB Flash drive to put a copy of Windows10 on and change the BIOS to boot from it. However, I do not have a flash drive large enough to hold a System Image. I have a Recovery Disk I've created in the DVD drive, can I boot Windows10 from it? I also have an external USB Drive that has a System Image, can I boot from it? Another alternative might be I also have an internal HHD with an empty Partition, If I placed a System Image in there could I boot from it?
It was also recommended to me to use software such as AOMEI Backupper Professional or Macrum Reflect to install my new M.2 once I can get booted to the OS.
I'm really stuck trying to figure out how to boot from something besides the M.2 I'm trying to replace!
EDIT: I went back to ASUS website to check on BIOS Updates. To my surprise, there have been 9 BIOS updates from the original one. They start at version 211 and count backwards to Version 202 that was released on 9/14.17. I will go back and verify what version I have and post it!
So hears what I found on the System Information page.: BIOS Version/Date / American Megatrends Inc. G751JY, 207, 3/24/15, Then in the SMBIOS column is 2.7 . Now I'm really confused. 2.7 is not one of the update versions listed by ASUS!

Solution

srdowns

Great
Jun 7, 2018
A few questions:
When you installed the Samsung 970 EVO, was the BIOS able to see it? If it is not seen in the BIOS, Windows will never see it.

What BIOS version do you have on your laptop? It should have BIOS version 211.

What Windows version do you currently have - 8.1 or 10?

The process to clone an existing SSD to a new one is pretty straightforward, but why your laptop did not recognize the 970 EVO needs to be resolved first so that you won't have the same issue with WD SSD.

Jul 11, 2018
That seems to be the major issue, the BIOS never detected the Evo970! System Info shows SMBOIS Version 2.7 from 3-15-15. That is probably the OEM version because its about a month or two before I purchased my Laptop from ASUS.com. I actually took my laptop to a local PC repair/service to let them install the Evo970. They had it for a couple days hand ran into the same issue I had. I would think they would have tried to update the BOIS. I actually paid them a consultation fee to verify the 970EVO would work in my PC before I ordered it. Then the A-hole was recommending an Evo960. I'm done with them!! I consulted this forum and was given two reasonably priced choices of an M.2 that would be compatible w/ my system. So I've ordered the WD Black (link in the first post)one that will be here in a couple of days.

srdowns

Great
Jun 7, 2018
I feel your pain.

According to this link, https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G751JY/HelpDesk_Download/
the latest BIOS for your laptop is version 211, dated 12/02/15. The reason why I asked what version of the BIOS your laptop is, version 206, dated 02/11/15, dealt with SSD's.

It sounds like the shop that you took your laptop to had no clue about anything. When you get your WD SSD, if it installs fine, no worries. If not, flash the BIOS to the most current version and see if that resolves the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

srdowns

Great
Jun 7, 2018

Your BIOS version is 207, dated 03/24/15 - "American Megatrends Inc. G751JY, 207, 3/24/15"

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.