Question M.2 NVMe SSD disappears randomly from system. Samsung 980 1TB drive

Nov 22, 2021
Hello,

I bought a Samsung 980 yesterday and installed it today. Initially i tried installing windows 10 on it which gave me a bunch of errors initially and then i saw someone suggested disabling my XMP profile for installing it and that did work. However i ran into constant BSOD with a WHAE error popping up with no minidump to see what caused it.

So i decided to reinstall my Windows back to my HDD and use the drive seperately to test it out. SO what is happening right now is that i can install and write things to the drive just fine but the moment i start a program/game or open a file. my systems show me constant errors which are as following

"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 during a paging operation."
and
"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1."

"The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: E:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume2.

Failure status: A device which does not exist was specified.

Device GUID: {d77a832e-35d8-6072-cb78-21e95c0d026e}
Device manufacturer:
Device model: Samsung SSD 980 1TB
Device revision: 1B4QFXO7
Device serial number: 0025_38D8_11B0_621F.
Bus type: NVMe

Adapter serial number: S649NF0R810113R _0005"

"Disk 2 has been surprise removed."

what i have tried so far outside of what i already stated

Do a full diagnostic with Samsung magician which resulted in 0 errors in the drive
updating the AMD chipset drivers to the latest

I'm suspecting it to be a motherboard problem but I am not in a state to RMA my motherboard I'd be without a PC and i need to for UNI.

i'm going to attempt to put the SSD into the M2_2 slot but from what i have read it doesn't seem likely to fix it.

My PC specifications are as following

Motherboard : MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
GPU : MSI Gaming X 8 GB gtx 1070
CPU : Ryzen 5600
RAM : Corsair venguange 8GB x 2
SSD 1 : Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
SSD 2 : M.2 Samsung 980 1TB
HDD : ST1000DM003-1ISB102 1TB
PSU : Corsair 650wat (not sure which one the sticker is obscured i'd have to pull it out but i highly doubt this would be cousing the issue.

Bios settings(imgur)

Last edited:
Hello,

I bought a Samsung 980 yesterday and installed it today. Initially i tried installing windows 10 on it which gave me a bunch of errors initially and then i saw someone suggested disabling my XMP profile for installing it and that did work. However i ran into constant BSOD with a WHAE error popping up with no minidump to see what caused it.

So i decided to reinstall my Windows back to my HDD and use the drive seperately to test it out. SO what is happening right now is that i can install and write things to the drive just fine but the moment i start a program/game or open a file. my systems show me constant errors which are as following

"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 during a paging operation."
and
"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1."

"The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: E:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume2.

Failure status: A device which does not exist was specified.

Device GUID: {d77a832e-35d8-6072-cb78-21e95c0d026e}
Device manufacturer:
Device model: Samsung SSD 980 1TB
Device revision: 1B4QFXO7
Device serial number: 0025_38D8_11B0_621F.
Bus type: NVMe

Adapter serial number: S649NF0R810113R _0005"

"Disk 2 has been surprise removed."

what i have tried so far outside of what i already stated

Do a full diagnostic with Samsung magician which resulted in 0 errors in the drive
updating the AMD chipset drivers to the latest

I'm suspecting it to be a motherboard problem but I am not in a state to RMA my motherboard I'd be without a PC and i need to for UNI.

i'm going to attempt to put the SSD into the M2_2 slot but from what i have read it doesn't seem likely to fix it.

My PC specifications are as following

Motherboard : MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
GPU : MSI Gaming X 8 GB gtx 1070
CPU : Ryzen 5600
RAM : Corsair venguange 8GB x 2
SSD 1 : Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
SSD 2 : M.2 Samsung 980 1TB
HDD : ST1000DM003-1ISB102 1TB
PSU : Corsair 650wat (not sure which one the sticker is obscured i'd have to pull it out but i highly doubt this would be cousing the issue.

Bios settings(imgur)
Looks like there is a newer bios....non-beta.....maybe give that a shot.

Nov 22, 2021
Looks like there is a newer bios....non-beta.....maybe give that a shot.

ill attempt it if the current fix i tried is not working

a friend of mine suggested putting my PC in high performance mode and disabling windows fast start-up and ever since i did these 2 the programs and games arent causing a crash within 1 minute. I'm going to test it out for a day or two more (reinstalling my windows to my other SSD tommorow) and if not update bios.