M.2 NVME to SATA?

primemovr

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017
Since nvme's are negligibly faster for both OS's and games (from what I have seen in benchmark testing videos), I would like to convert my 2 m.2 slot nvme connections into extra sata channels. Is there any kind of hardware that makes this possible?

Solution

What you want to do is not possible. A Sata SSD must be connected to the motherboard through a Sata channel. A Sata SSD and PCIe SSD use 2 different protocols for communicating with the motherboard chipset. An Intel chipset like Z270 supports only 6 Sata ports total, no more, whether that's through the M.2 slot or the 6 Sata ports built onto the motherboard.

The Syba SI-PEX40064 "PCI-Express to Sata adapter" i use, works because it has it's own Marvell...

primemovr

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017
No. I already have one of those. I am talking about the m.2 to sata but it uses the pcie "mode" rather than the ssd/sata mode. The motherboard says that if I use the m.2 for regular ssd/sata devices (non-pcie), it will block sata channels, making the conversion useless.

What you want to do is not possible. A Sata SSD must be connected to the motherboard through a Sata channel. A Sata SSD and PCIe SSD use 2 different protocols for communicating with the motherboard chipset. An Intel chipset like Z270 supports only 6 Sata ports total, no more, whether that's through the M.2 slot or the 6 Sata ports built onto the motherboard.

The Syba SI-PEX40064 "PCI-Express to Sata adapter" i use, works because it has it's own Marvell 88SE9215 controller chip mounted on the card itself, that adds 4 Sata ports to your motherboard through a PCI-Express slot larger than x1. The card itself is PCIe x2, so it will not fit into a smaller PCIe x1 slot.

Any high end Intel motherboard with more than 6 Sata ports does this by mounting an extra JMicron or Marvell controller chip to operate the extra ports.

Solution
http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=930&search=m.2

SD-ADA40118.MAIN-500x500.jpg

Converts the 4 PCIe lanes in the M.2 socket into 4 SATA data ports. The PCIe to SATA controller is underneath the heatsink in the above image.

Other variants here: http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=m.2

This will work as well as the PCI-Express to Sata adapter card since it uses an almost identical Marvell controller chip, but it will not work in "pcie "mode" rather than the ssd/sata mode". All Sata drives will only operate at speeds up to 6.0Gbps, and only PCIe NVME drives will operate at speeds beyond 6.0Gbps. That's a limitation of the Sata protocol.

What part of the OP's "I would like to convert my 2 m.2 slot nvme connections into extra sata channels" statement did you not understand?

I guess i just don't understand his question. He stated earlier, he already has "one of those".