Question M.2 or RAM causing BSOD?

Aug 6, 2019
Hello all. I’ve been having Blue screens of death once a day for about three months now. They happen about 3-5 hours into gaming. The error code is never the same. I’ve had critical process died, unexpected store exception, system service exception, and kernel data inpage error. They’re completely random and usually it’s never the same one twice in a row. I’ve read that most of the time this is caused by some sort of hardware issue but I need help pinpointing the hardware that is failing. I’ve run memtests, chkdsk, made sure all drivers are up to date, stress tests, reformatted my m.2, clean installed windows multiple times, run virus and malware checks, updated bios to the latest software, and made sure that the M.2 firmware is the latest version. I’m at a loss here. Someone please help.

System specs-
Asus Z370-F mobo
Intel i7 8700k at 3.7 GHz
Samsung 970 evo 512Gb
Gigabyte 1080ti 11gb
Corsair 750w power supply
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM running at 2300 MHz

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
How many runs did you do in memtest?

2300MHz is an odd speed, did you overclock? If so, have you tried running them at default settings? What settings did you apply for ram?

Regarding your cpu, @ 3.7, do you mean cpu is at stock settings or are you undervolting to reduce heat?

Aug 6, 2019
I did two memtests.
Sorry I misspoke my ram is on auto frequency at 2133MHz basically all are on auto which is default in bios.
3.7GHz is the standard clock speed for my cpu. None of those settings have been messed with so the voltage is also default. I’ve never tried to over or under clock my cpu.

Aug 6, 2019
It’s 4 sticks of 8Gb
They’re not from the same kit but they were bought at the same time and were stable for 8 months with zero problems.
I’m at work right now so unfortunately I can’t post any pictures atm

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There is a risk mixing ram even if bought at same time because materials and ic chips can change over time and wouldn't know if they're exactly the same. Kits are and tested.

One of the ram could be going bad. Try memtest for 5 passes. Memtest is thorough and can take a bit to throw errors.

What has changed since all was well?

Is your problem with one particular game?
If so, look for a game patch.

You have done a lot of good checking.

If I had to guess, I might suspect the psu.
See if you can test with a known good psu with 650w or more.

Aug 6, 2019
What has changed since all was well?

Is your problem with one particular game?
If so, look for a game patch.

You have done a lot of good checking.

If I had to guess, I might suspect the psu.
See if you can test with a known good psu with 650w or more.
Honestly man it’s been so long I’m not sure what exact change happened. I’ve never tried to over or under clock anything. It happens with more than one game. Particularly Rust and PUBG

Aug 6, 2019