Question M.2 SSD is not being detected in BIOs

Apr 2, 2021
My laptop is the Asus Vivobook S15 S530UF,

i've recently decided to upgrade my laptop and put an SSD in the already existing but empty M.2 slot in my laptops' motherboard. I went online and into the user manual to check which type of M.2 SSD i should get and it was a bit confusing since at some places they say it's compatible with SATA III SSD and other places say that it can work with NVMe. I decided to contact Asus Support and the conclusion was that based on my laptop information provided from the serial number my laptop can actually support NVMe.

i went out and bought an NVMe SSD and plugged it into the M.2 Slot and to my surprise it couldn't read the SSD. so i opened up BIOS and it couldn'tdetect it either, i checked the SSD on another device and it's working perfectly so the issue is from my laptop.

i've tried almost everything and i've reached a dead end, how can i know for sure what's the issue with my laptop and how can i fix it so it can read the SSD.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Recognised and working perfectly are 2 very different things. I'd stick the drive back on the pc, use discpart to make sure it's initialized and formatted GPT (that's very important for nvme) with NTFS format.

In the laptop bios, make sure you are running CSM disabled and Windows UEFI boot, not Other OS. Nvme do not like legacy.

Also can matter exactly which nvme you got. If it's a Gen4 NVMe, it might have issues with Auto recognition of pcie, you may need to set the bios for that slot manually to Gen3, if that's all your board will support.

NVMe are nice, but can be trixy to setup up initially.

Apr 2, 2021
Recognised and working perfectly are 2 very different things. I'd stick the drive back on the pc, use discpart to make sure it's initialized and formatted GPT (that's very important for nvme) with NTFS format.

In the laptop bios, make sure you are running CSM disabled and Windows UEFI boot, not Other OS. Nvme do not like legacy.

Also can matter exactly which nvme you got. If it's a Gen4 NVMe, it might have issues with Auto recognition of pcie, you may need to set the bios for that slot manually to Gen3, if that's all your board will support.

NVMe are nice, but can be trixy to setup up initially.

i've disabled CSM but the option for "other os" amd "windows UFEI" can't seem to be available in my laptops' bios for some reaon.

the NVMe i got is Gen3, and supposedly my laptop's board can support it, is there a way to set this NVMe manually in bios?

Apr 2, 2021
Nothing about nvme drives in those screenshots. Should have been mentioned at least.
I don't think nvme is supported there.

It's possible asus support identified your laptop as a different model. And that's why, they said nvme would be compatible.

BTW - Asus Vivobook S15 S530UF is not a complete model name. Should be more letters. Like this:
Asus Vivobook S15 s530uf-bq014t​
Asus VivoBook S15 S530UF-BQ819T​
ASUS VivoBook S15 S530UF-BQ275T​
ASUS VivoBook S15 S530UF-BQ077T​

Apr 2, 2021
Nothing about nvme drives in those screenshots. Should have been mentioned at least.
I don't think nvme is supported there.

It's possible asus support identified your laptop as a different model. And that's why, they said nvme would be compatible.

BTW - Asus Vivobook S15 S530UF is not a complete model name. Should be more letters. Like this:
Asus Vivobook S15 s530uf-bq014t​
Asus VivoBook S15 S530UF-BQ819T​
ASUS VivoBook S15 S530UF-BQ275T​
ASUS VivoBook S15 S530UF-BQ077T​

That's probably the case, although i gave them my serial number and i think all the needed information like the full model name should be derived from there.

my model name is: Asus VivoBook S15 S530UF-BQ202T. i've looked around online to see if my model is compatible and also couldn't find any information that was helpful.