[SOLVED] M.2 SSD not detected when installing Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2022
I'm trying to install windows 10 on a newly built PC, my bios detecting the SSD but windows 10 installer keep saying "We couldn't find any drives". I've tried couple of suggestions but nothing seems to work.

I'm using Intel 12 gen i5 12400f, Asus Prime b660m A wifi D4, and PNY SSD NVMe CS2140 PCIE Gen4 x4

Solution
I bought it online
I don't know if you're trolling me, or just didn't really understand the question, but WHERE did you buy it? I don't mean "online". I mean, WHERE? Amazon? Newegg? Ebay? Someplace else? Was it in a completely shrink wrap or tamper sealed package that didn't look like it was ever opened before or was there a chance it might have been purchased and returned already previously because the package had already appeared to have been opened previously?

Honestly, in almost every case where an M.2 SSD is showing up in the BIOS but isn't being detected by the Windows installer or fails during the Windows installation, it's been due to a faulty drive. Might be a good idea to simply return it. And personally, I'd...
What motherboard BIOS version is currently installed?

Which M.2 slot are you using, the one through the CPU or the motherboard chipset?

Have you tried reinstalling the M.2 drive just to be sure it is fully seated, even if it shows up in the BIOS I'd still try to reseat it, just to be sure. And, I'd be sure that it is installed in the M.2_1 slot. If it IS in that slot, then try the other slot.

Do you have ANY other drives attached to the system? I'm assuming not since Windows is telling you there are no drives available, but always worth asking when an M.2 drive isn't showing up.

What "suggestions" have you tried? It's always a good idea to include anything you've "already tried" so we know what's been done or not done.

Is secure boot and all UEFI options enabled in the BIOS including AHCI mode?

Last edited:
Reactions: zalfand
Apr 29, 2022
What motherboard BIOS version is currently installed?

Which M.2 slot are you using, the one through the CPU or the motherboard chipset?

Have you tried reinstalling the M.2 drive just to be sure it is fully seated, even if it shows up in the BIOS I'd still try to reseat it, just to be sure. And, I'd be sure that it is installed in the M.2_1 slot. If it IS in that slot, then try the other slot.

Do you have ANY other drives attached to the system? I'm assuming not since Windows is telling you there are no drives available, but always worth asking when an M.2 drive isn't showing up.

What "suggestions" have you tried? It's always a good idea to include anything you've "already tried" so we know what's been done or not done.

Is secure boot and all UEFI options enabled in the BIOS including AHCI mode?
Thank you for your time replying to my question.

I'm using the version 1402 bios, I believe its the latest version available on Asus website.

As for slot currenly I'm using the one through CPU (the slot right above the GPU), although I've yet to try the other slot so Im going to try that.

I did try reinstalling it but on the same slot, so I will try the other slot.

I dont have any other drive , Its just my M.2 SSD since a friend told me not to plug other drive until I install windows.

I've updated my bios, I did the shift+F10 command prompt to clean disk (but it didn't read my M.2 SSD, only my bootable flashdisk), disabling CMS and changing boot settings.

I couldn't found the AHCI setting in my bios, I don't know is that mean I don't have the latest bios update or something, but I couldn't find it anywhere not even with the F9 Search option.

I cant really fiddle around with the bios settings since I dont really understand much bcs honestly this is my first time building my own PC.

Again thank you for trying to help

Apr 29, 2022
Set csm to enabled, secure boot disabled.
Set sata controller mode to AHCI (not Intel RST with optane).
Thank you for your reply.

I already tried the CSM settings both enabled or disabled, I also already tried to change the boot settings.

As I say before, I couldn't find the AHCI setting opstion in my bios.

I bought it online
I don't know if you're trolling me, or just didn't really understand the question, but WHERE did you buy it? I don't mean "online". I mean, WHERE? Amazon? Newegg? Ebay? Someplace else? Was it in a completely shrink wrap or tamper sealed package that didn't look like it was ever opened before or was there a chance it might have been purchased and returned already previously because the package had already appeared to have been opened previously?

Honestly, in almost every case where an M.2 SSD is showing up in the BIOS but isn't being detected by the Windows installer or fails during the Windows installation, it's been due to a faulty drive. Might be a good idea to simply return it. And personally, I'd recommend a different drive as well. PNY branded solid state drives have not seemed, to me, to have a very good showing like some of their other products have over the years.

Solution
Apr 29, 2022

Honestly, in almost every case where an M.2 SSD is showing up in the BIOS but isn't being detected by the Windows installer or fails during the Windows installation, it's been due to a faulty drive. Might be a good idea to simply return it. And personally, I'd recommend a different drive as well. PNY branded solid state drives have not seemed, to me, to have a very good showing like some of their other products have over the years.
Oh no Im not trolling you I must've miss understood, I bought it on Tokopedia (Indonesian e-commerce app). The packaging looks good, nothing out of ordinary I would say.

And also I've already solved the problem. It turns out that I need to install an Intel RST driver while installing Windows.

Thank you anyway for trying to help, much appreciated.

Why would you need to do that?

The IRST driver is only necessary for RAID configurations, and "supposedly" offers better performance on SOME non-RAID hardware, but I've done a hell of a lot of testing with and without it, and there has NEVER, EVER, been any difference in performance from what I've seen. I've installed, literally, at least forty or fifty M.2 NVME drives, and have never, ever, not once, ever needed to install the Intel RST driver for them to work with installing Windows. ANY version of Windows, unless you are running a RAID array.

Apr 29, 2022
Why would you need to do that?

The IRST driver is only necessary for RAID configurations, and "supposedly" offers better performance on SOME non-RAID hardware, but I've done a hell of a lot of testing with and without it, and there has NEVER, EVER, been any difference in performance from what I've seen. I've installed, literally, at least forty or fifty M.2 NVME drives, and have never, ever, not once, ever needed to install the Intel RST driver for them to work with installing Windows. ANY version of Windows, unless you are running a RAID array.
Beats me, I just read someone suggesting that and I tried it and it worked.
If it sounds dumb but it works its not dumb I guess

Reactions: WNYTech
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS