Apr 22, 2019
Hello!

I'm new to the forum so please bare with me. But I have a quick question: I'm looking to build my next PC and I've been hearing a lot about using M.2's as a good storage(? unsure of what to call it atm, words are escaping me) for using it to boot and run OS.

This is what I was thinking of using:
SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2
with
MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON

Both links go out to the site newegg. I can provide alternate amazon links if that's needed!

Otherwise, just looking for general feedback on if this will work/if it's a good idea or should I look into an alternative? Thank you!

M.2 is the form factor of the SSD, its just the size and connection it uses, much like a 3.5" SATA format.
The SSD itself you hear about when people say M.2 is an NVME drive.

NVME drives are substantially faster on paper and select applications compared to a standard SATA SSD. However, for the typical user who is not moving massive files on a regular basis (think video editing vs gaming here), the price is not generally worth it.

If you do something like video editing, an NVME drive is a decent investment, if you dont, just get a standard SATA SSD, you can get about 1TB of space for the same price as the drive you listed (860 EVO)

Reactions: deva7666
Apr 22, 2019
Thank you both for the information! Is more GB really needed if it's just the OS system and I plan to partition it so the rest(as in files/games/etc) would be on an HDD or SSD? (Still debating that one, too, since I've heard HDDs are better for file storage/lifespan)

Samsung's SSD have a massively high level of endurance, around the 1000TB of data write range, meaning you would never even come close to using up all that endurance.

As for space itself, I recommend getting a cheap 1TB HDD for general storage, its great, its cheap, and it works.
However, I would certainly recommend a 500GB-1TB SSD over a 250GB NVME drive for a typical system. You would never notice the speed difference, but you would be able to keep some of your favorite games installed on it for faster load times.

Apr 22, 2019
Thanks so much for all your wisdom and advice Gam3r01! I'll be swapping to the 500GB EVO you suggested for my OS and keep my HDD I was planning to get for storage.