[SOLVED] M2 NVME SSD gets slower as computer is on longer?

Chrono_1

Reputable
Aug 17, 2016
When I boot my computer up and test out the read/write speeds they are fine, but after some uptime they become slow for some reason.

I get 3300 mb/s read and 2800 mb/s write when i start my computer up

after a few hours of uptime, i get 875 mb/s read and 830 mb/s write speed.

My BIOS is Asus Prime B560M-A and I have updated the bios to the latest version as well as:
-went into the BIOS and turned off SATA controllers (i only have the M2 SSD in there and don't use SATA ports)
-made the M2 default value to PCIE
-set the PCIE to detect gen 3

does anyone know what may be the reason for this? I am also running Manjaro Linux and never do anything intensive on the NVME SSD.. I only have a text editor and firefox tabs open for the last 6 hours..

The M2 NVME SSD is a western digital black SN750 500GB model

by the way it is rarely even full, 85% of the space on it is free..

Last edited:
Solution
Hmm. Strange. So first, try removing and reseating the SSD.

Second, I looked through your motherboard's BIOS manual to see if there are any M.2/NVMe settings that might help.

All I could find is following:

On page 39: Advanced --> Advanced --> NVMe Configuration --> this will show you a list of detected devices. See if the list is correct, or if something looks strange or incorrect.

On page 41: Advanced --> Onboard Devices Configuration --> M.2 Configuration. The options for M.2 Configuration are:
[AUTO]
[SATA]
[PCIE]

Try changing it from [AUTO] to [PCIE].

I doubt that will help, but give it a try.

Second, install Western Digital's SSD software and check for updated firmware. It's possible that your SSD has outdated firmware that somehow...

Lutfij

Titan
Check and see what your BISO version is on the motherboard. Since you're stating it's on the latest, we're going to need to know the version. Most people tend to state they're on the latest only to find that a new version was released. As for your drive, does the SSD have any firmware updates pending? Which slot is the SD populating on the board? Heatsink is used? Did you remove the sticker on the SSD before applying the heatsink atop the SSD(assuming you're using the slot under the CPU socket)?

Version for your OS?

Chrono_1

Reputable
Aug 17, 2016
Check and see what your BISO version is on the motherboard. Since you're stating it's on the latest, we're going to need to know the version. Most people tend to state they're on the latest only to find that a new version was released. As for your drive, does the SSD have any firmware updates pending? Which slot is the SD populating on the board? Heatsink is used? Did you remove the sticker on the SSD before applying the heatsink atop the SSD(assuming you're using the slot under the CPU socket)?

Version for your OS?

Check and see what your BISO version is on the motherboard. Since you're stating it's on the latest, we're going to need to know the version.
BIOS version is on the latest, 0820, https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-B560M-A/HelpDesk_BIOS/

As for your drive, does the SSD have any firmware updates pending?
I am not sure if, is there a way to check on Linux? The western digital software is only available on windows.

Which slot is the SD populating on the board?
It is in the 2nd M2 slot, the 1st slow is only compatible with a 11th gen intel CPU and I am using an i3-10320. But it says on the box that the 2nd M2 slot supports PCIE gen 3 which is what the SSD is..

heatsink is used?Did you remove the sticker on the SSD before applying the heatsink atop the SSD
I am not using a heat sink and I didn't remove the sticker.

I also used kdiskmark to check the speeds
This is on boot:
View: https://imgur.com/a/aCanBiW

this is after 6 hours of uptime:
View: https://imgur.com/a/d3QMJni

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
Try manually running TRIM on the drive after it's been on for a few hours. Follow these steps:

(1) Wait until the computer has been on a few hours.
(2) Run the benchmark and make sure you are getting the abnormally slow speed.
(3) Open This PC, right click the drive, choose Properties --> Tools --> Optimize --> select the drive, and click Optimize. For a mechanical hard drive, this will run Defragmentation, but for an SSD, it will run TRIM.
(4) Run the benchmark again, and see if TRIM has improved the speed.

Chrono_1

Reputable
Aug 17, 2016
Try manually running TRIM on the drive after it's been on for a few hours. Follow these steps:

(1) Wait until the computer has been on a few hours.
(2) Run the benchmark and make sure you are getting the abnormally slow speed.
(3) Open This PC, right click the drive, choose Properties --> Tools --> Optimize --> select the drive, and click Optimize. For a mechanical hard drive, this will run Defragmentation, but for an SSD, it will run TRIM.
(4) Run the benchmark again, and see if TRIM has improved the speed.

Hi, i was wrong about the uptime causing the speeds. What is happening is that when I coldboot my NVME in the M2 slot is running at PCIE 1.0 speeds (800 mb/s, 1/4th of the normal speed). But when I try and colboot and enter bios first OR coldboot then restart the system the NVME in the M2 slot is running at PCIE 3.0 speeds (3200 mb/s the normal speed).

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016

Second, I looked through your motherboard's BIOS manual to see if there are any M.2/NVMe settings that might help.

On page 39: Advanced --> Advanced --> NVMe Configuration --> this will show you a list of detected devices. See if the list is correct, or if something looks strange or incorrect.

On page 41: Advanced --> Onboard Devices Configuration --> M.2 Configuration. The options for M.2 Configuration are:
[AUTO]
[SATA]
[PCIE]

Second, install Western Digital's SSD software and check for updated firmware. It's possible that your SSD has outdated firmware that somehow affects the motherboard's ability to correctly detect or configure it.

Finally: since you said the problem occurs only on cold boot, but not when you boot and then restart, or boot and then go into the BIOS and then reboot, make sure that you're turning your computer completely off and then on again to see if any of these steps helped. E.g., after you change the BIOS settings or update the SSD firmware, then turn the computer completely off and then on again - not merely reboot.

Reactions: Chrono_1
Solution

Chrono_1

Reputable
Aug 17, 2016

[AUTO]
[SATA]
[PCIE]

Second, install Western Digital's SSD software and check for updated firmware. It's possible that your SSD has outdated firmware that somehow affects the motherboard's ability to correctly detect or configure it.

Finally: since you said the problem occurs only on cold boot, but not when you boot and then restart, or boot and then go into the BIOS and then reboot, make sure that you're turning your computer completely off and then on again to see if any of these steps helped. E.g., after you change the BIOS settings or update the SSD firmware, then turn the computer completely off and then on again - not merely reboot.
tried everything and the problem is still there.. i was on Linux before and just changed to windows to try downloading the western digital software and it says everything’s fine even the lanes are fine (it says gen 3.0 and using all 4 lanes) but read speed is incorrect when testing with crystaldiskmark but after I restart they are normal..

I don’t understand why, I think it may just be my CPU and motherboard have a bad combination (10th gen Intel cpu on a b560 motherboard).