Discussion Mac vs. Windows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LordVile

Reputable
May 27, 2016
why didn't you just create a usb with the latest windows? anyway, good day, don't care. I have problems with hardware, not windows. it must be user induced.
Had to use the one I had, wouldn’t let me make a new one on that PC because it crashed whenever I tried to do something, literally opening task manager crashed it. Since I’ve fixed windows it’s been fine, haven’t changed any drivers or any hardware so it’s just windows being a buggy mess.

Mandark

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2002
if you install and uninstall lots of applications to your host machine, over time that can mess things up. buggy installers most likely.

What I do mostly is set up a host and keep it pure clean MS, and I work in Virtual Machines. Never need to mess with stuff, not installing anything that doesn't belong to the host.

As Scotty on Star Trek said, "the more plumbing there is, the easier it is to mess up" and that is truth. I literally install a host box and use it for 10 yrs until the hardware dies.

As far as I understand, the MAC ecosystem isn't as loosy-goosy as the PC world, Apple likes to have only the top drawer stuff for their OS. The fact that the PC world is the Wild West means users should really be careful about what they install. That's another reason to do all your work in a VM.

I am not a MAC hater, they are great for many purposes. Had I more money, I would probably use them too. :)

Dec 4, 2018
It all will depend on your needs. MAC is okay for certain things. PCs are best for my kind of business and the software I use will not work on a MAC unless I use Boot Camp or Parallels with Windows. I'm at that point where I need a new machine, too (Windows Vista Ultimate since '09), and really want a new 27" iMAC. But the fact that I can only use Windows for my court reporting needs makes me reconsider my options. The way I need to set up an iMAC with Boot Camp n Windows will be close near $3k or more. I can buy a PC for work purposes for way less and and at the same time, use the Internet for my needs without the expense of a MAC. The only thing that concerns me is all the virus garbage that goes with Windows. I never ever had a virus on my Macbook Pro, even when using the Windows environment. Again, it will depend on what you plan to do and your needs. I love the Mac displays. I rarely ever had an issue with Vista either. I do build all my own PC systems. Can't do that with a MAC.

Reactions: Mandark
Dec 4, 2018
I have always built my own PCs years ago, but today, the prices are too low to be bothered. I use Parallels on a MAC to run Vista, and inside Vista, I installed Virtual PC 2007 so I can install DOS. Talk about archaic. But that's our legal system here.....the Dark Ages.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS