Question Macbook 2017 versus a Lenovo Legion Y520 - - - - which is best to keep as main computer and why ?

Mar 1, 2022
I have a MacBook Air 2017 model and a Windows 11 Lenovo Legion Y520, but my problem is, which is better to keep as my main computer in case i have to/want to sell one of them ?
This problem has been bothering me for a while because I'm really indecisive, I noted down all the advantages and disadvantages, but still undecided. Most of my work is high end video editing, 3d rendering, and sometimes photo-editing. The Lenovo runs a core i5 7300hq and nvme ssd with a GTX 1050, the MacBook runs a Core i5 5350q and no GPU, and a SATA ssd, apps I use include Figma, PyCharm, GIMP, Davincci Resolve Pro, Anki, Notion, Microsoft Onenote. Those are my most used apps.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you parse the specs to both of your laptop's? The problem you've brought forward is that some SKU's will have one or more differences in components when you compare the same laptop with another individual. Also, please include the app's that you use and the sort of settings you have with said app's. Depending on the specs and the workload, the weaker unit will be a viable candidate to go up for sale.

Reactions: Mairomr
Mar 1, 2022
The Lenovo runs a core i5 7300hq and nvme ssd with a GTX 1050, the MacBook runs a Core i5 5350q and no GPU, and a SATA ssd, apps I use include Figma, PyCharm, GIMP, Davincci Resolve Pro, Anki, Notion, Microsoft Onenote. Those are my most used apps.

Lutfij

Titan
Here's something you could try, run the same apps on both, render the same tasks on both. The one that's slower - should be sold off. IMHO, with specs alone, I'd keep the Lenovo since it's 2 generations after what the MacBook has.

Mar 1, 2022
The thing thats making me indecisive is the build quality and design of the mac. It is considerably much higher. I also strongly value system stability, and how fast the system is in general.

Last edited: