[SOLVED] Macbook crashes and reboots; Am I running too many programmes?

hohner2000le

Prominent
Apr 6, 2018
II have a Macbook that’s quite old (from 2008-2009)

It’s not like I expect my computer to be working always even if it has been re-tweaked to a better performance (battery has been changed and the OS is updated to EL Capitan).

Occasionally I have had issues with this mac since its “re-birth” like frozen screens or not detecting the hardware for it’s wifi, but those are all issues that I have come to manage because I know what the problem is.

As of lately though, my macbook has been crashing. Just before I came to this site I was opening OBS studio and Ableton Live 10 suite together and my computer just went black and rebooted itself.

I am not sure why.

I have had multiple programmes open at the same time before and I don’t understand why this happens. Since this looks like it has happened to me before, but only recently has becoming more frequent, it’s starting to become of concern. Could it be related to the fact that my macbook is essentially old hardware and that it struggles to run multiple programmes?

This isn’t like the aforementioned issues that I am accustomed to.

Any suggestions at what I could do to improve my situation/identify the problem?

I will try and leave some details that might help:

MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008)

Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Storage: 170GB free out of 250GB

Main web browser: Opera Version:66.0.3515.103 64-bit

Recently downloaded programmes:

Ableton Live 10 Suite

AntConc

Blender

DiskDrill

OBS

Utorrent

Wine

Wine Bottler

Solution

It’s not like I expect my computer to be working always even if it has been re-tweaked to a better performance (battery has been changed and the OS is updated to EL Capitan).

Occasionally I have had issues with this mac since its “re-birth” like frozen screens or not detecting the hardware for it’s wifi, but those are all issues that I have come to manage because I know what the problem is.

As of lately though, my macbook has been crashing. Just before I came to this site I was opening OBS studio and Ableton Live 10 suite together and my computer just went black and rebooted itself.

I am not sure why.

I have had multiple programmes open at the same time before and I don’t...

I am not sure why.

I have had multiple programmes open at the same time before and I don’t understand why this happens. Since this looks like it has happened to me before, but only recently has becoming more frequent, it’s starting to become of concern. Could it be related to the fact that my macbook is essentially old hardware and that it struggles to run multiple programmes?

This isn’t like the aforementioned issues that I am accustomed to.

Any suggestions at what I could do to improve my situation/identify the problem?

I will try and leave some details that might help:

MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008)

Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Storage: 170GB free out of 250GB

Main web browser: Opera Version:66.0.3515.103 64-bit

Recently downloaded programmes:

Ableton Live 10 Suite

AntConc

Blender

DiskDrill

OBS

Utorrent

Wine

Wine Bottler
It is 12 years old now I'd not rule out hardware issues and the CPU and GPU aren't spring chickens anymore. Could be hardware finally caving in but I'd pt it on the software being too demanding now. OBS for example has a minimum requirement of MacOS 10.12 (Sierra) whereas el capitan it 10.11 plus it really wants Sandy bridge intel chips for quick sync (2000 series) and yours is significantly older.

Solution