[SOLVED] Macbook Pro - which CPU - i5 8257u vs i5 8279u?

Kujamasaru

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015
Hey guys,
ill get a new Notebook in the near future from my Company (actual Notebook: Asus FX502VM with an GTX 1060 3GB)
I am using the Notebook for the Company and at home for Gaming.
So i was considering to get an Macbook next and use it at home with an EGPU - wanted to go with an RTX2060 Super, but lets see the driver problems under OSX in the future (i wanted to go for all OS X only - my games are native supported on OSX xD)

But my main question here is:
Which CPU should i use for "gaming" or is the higher price for the 8279u worth it.

Its like 2060€ for the MBP 2019 with 16GB Ram and 500GB SSD with i5 8257u
and 2230€ for the MBP 2019 with 16GB Ram and 500GB SSD with i5 8279u

I have read, that the speaker in the higher modell are better - but i wont use them really often - mostly headphones or AVR and speakers
I have read, that the higher modell has two fans, over one at the lower end modell - are the temps that much higher?
And i know the higher Modell has 4 TB3 ports over the 2 at the lower modell - but i wont need more then 1 port.

So as u can see im still confused, which one i should use.

Are the extra costs worth it? :)

Solution
Hey guys,
ill get a new Notebook in the near future from my Company (actual Notebook: Asus FX502VM with an GTX 1060 3GB)
So i was considering to get an Macbook next and use it at home with an EGPU - wanted to go with an RTX2060 Super, but lets see the driver problems under OSX in the future (i wanted to go for all OS X only - my games are native supported on OSX xD)

Which CPU should i use for "gaming" or is the higher price for the 8279u worth it.

I have read, that the speaker in the higher modell...
Hey guys,

I have read, that the speaker in the higher modell are better - but i wont use them really often - mostly headphones or AVR and speakers
I have read, that the higher modell has two fans, over one at the lower end modell - are the temps that much higher?
And i know the higher Modell has 4 TB3 ports over the 2 at the lower modell - but i wont need more then 1 port.

So as u can see im still confused, which one i should use.

Are the extra costs worth it? :)
It’s gonna thermal throttle anyway because it’s a thin and light. If you’re looking to game on a MacBook check what games in your library works with MacOS first.

Solution

Kujamasaru

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015
It’s gonna thermal throttle anyway because it’s a thin and light. If you’re looking to game on a MacBook check what games in your library works with MacOS first.
Ya ive looked first that my games like LoL or WoW Classic are on OSX.
Maybe it is good to know, that when ill game, there is an external monitor, mouse and Keyboard.
So it is only depending on raw cpu power - is there an Advantage of chosing the 8279 over the 8257