Review Mad Catz The Authentic R.A.T. Air Review: Call an Exterminator

eichwana

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
Highly disappointing.

I used to have the Mad Catz MMO7 mouse which was my favorite mouse. With the mouse made as small as possible (palm rest and thumb button placement), it was the most comfortable mouse I've used. Add to that the thumb button config - lots of buttons without being that horrible grid - and it was almost perfect.

For comparison, the Logitech G502 is uncomfortably big for me, so I can't hit the top-left button.

From the sounds of things, they're taking big steps back in order to add the wireless battery-less features.

Mysteoa

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2012
I'm currently using RAT8. I don't find it uncomfortable but its too expensive for the build quality. The side buttons are held on a flimsy plastic and if you press on them whit excess force (like during intense gaming) you can break them. This one and the privies MMO I have, have broken side buttons after I had it for 2 years. Some of the Blue light for the RGB will gradualy become dimmer. The software is okish it gets the job done. I do want to replace it for something else but I can't find a mouse that has a thumb and pinky rest. I hate to drag my finger along the mouse pad.

NoFaultius

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Such a fall from grace for such a noble company. In the late 90s early 2000s I was using the Mad Catx Panther XL. It was a joystick/tracball combination controller for the PC. I used to play Rob Clancy's Rainbow6 Rouge Spear, a first person shooter, with it. It was literally the best controller I have ever used in my 40 years of gaming. I have never been more deadly or in control in any FPS since that controller aged out. When I played with that controller, I was ranked top 100 out of hundreds of thousands of players. I use keyboard mouse now, and I'm good, but not that good. If they re-released the Panther XL, I would buy it in a hot minute.

May 28, 2020
I'm currently using RAT8. I don't find it uncomfortable but its too expensive for the build quality.

You might have not been sold a real Mad Catz mouse. I recently bought a RAT 8+ to replace my old RAT7 from before the company reboot. When i was looking on Amazon the pictures did not seem to match the ones on the official website. I think Amazon may be selling fakes. I bought mine from another source and the build quality is similar to mu old mouse. I'm rather happy with it. Maybe try to do a photo comparison.

Mysteoa

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2012
You might have not been sold a real Mad Catz mouse. I recently bought a RAT 8+ to replace my old RAT7 from before the company reboot. When i was looking on Amazon the pictures did not seem to match the ones on the official website. I think Amazon may be selling fakes. I bought mine from another source and the build quality is similar to mu old mouse. I'm rather happy with it. Maybe try to do a photo comparison.

I'm talking about the RAT8 no the + version. I bough minefor £81.99, 6 months before they bankrupt. I had bound the melee to the side buttons. It didn't hold for more than a year before both of them broke.

Just looking at the design they haven't done any changes. So I doubt they have change the side button construction. I was even considering if I could ask them to buy the side button part to replace it.

May 28, 2020
I'm talking about the RAT8 no the + version. I bough minefor £81.99, 6 months before they bankrupt. I had bound the melee to the side buttons. It didn't hold for more than a year before both of them broke.

Oh I see now. Yeah the side button breaking was the reason I had to replace my RAT7. We will see how long the 8+ lasts. In my long experience os mice, they always end up breaking. My RAT7 lasted 5 or 6 years so I was happy with that. If this one breaks too soon, I will probably switch to something else, but I still love the design and customization of the RAT mice.