[SOLVED] Made a mistake when activating Windows

person31

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
Hi, I recently did my first build in years and I used a copy of Windows 8.1 which I forgotten I had used 3 times already. Of course when windows was installed it couldn't be activated for the reason I mentioned previously. I was quite tired and frustrated (wasn't really in the mood to do the whole build tbf) so I searched the internet for a quick and free way to activate windows. I didn't plan on buying another copy from the start. I found this site called [questionable link removed] and they had a script which I copied and pasted into notepad and saved as a batch file. When it ran it seemed to activate it perfectly fine. I have no idea how it works. I also downloaded the free upgrade to Windows 10 and it installed fine and shows as activated. My main worry is what if I've installed some kind of malware or rootkit on my PC as I mean to use this to send invoices etc. The other think I worry about is how long it will appear to be activated. When I looked up this way of doing it, many people said that it would expire in 180 days or something.

I'm very worried at the moment. Very stupid of me to do this when I'm in the wrong mind set. Is there any thing I can do to fix this if there us anything wrong?

Thanks for reading. Any help is much appreciated!

Solution
Install windows 10, and when it asks for your product key, put in your win 8.1 key. Most likely it will work. I have had it work on a couple old Windows 7 keys, that I had left over, from when I had a technet subscription, that I never upgraded, during the free upgrade period. Do the install without internet hooked up, also, so you are not forced to use a microsoft account, to complete the install.

logainofhades

Titan
Install windows 10, and when it asks for your product key, put in your win 8.1 key. Most likely it will work. I have had it work on a couple old Windows 7 keys, that I had left over, from when I had a technet subscription, that I never upgraded, during the free upgrade period. Do the install without internet hooked up, also, so you are not forced to use a microsoft account, to complete the install.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
My main worry is what if I've installed some kind of malware or rootkit on my PC as I mean to use this to send invoices etc.

If you're using this for a business, get off the dime and buy a valid Windows license.
Around $100.

Would you be so understanding if your clients simply chose not to pay you?
Licensed software (the OS you use every day) is no different.

person31

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
Thanks for replying. Will Windows 10 require me to input a product key? It didn't today but I already had 8.1 installed. Would it be in the section where it tells me to activate?

person31

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
If you're using this for a business, get off the dime and buy a valid Windows license.
Around $100.

Would you be so understanding if your clients simply chose not to pay you?
Licensed software (the OS you use every day) is no different.
Thanks for replying. Didn't think about it like that. If the 8.1 key doesn't work on the 10 installation I'll buy one for peace of mind.

person31

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
Thanks everybody for taking the time to reply. So I will do a fresh install of 8.1 tomorrow, then upgrade to Windows 10. I'm still sort of worried about security of the computer though. Will the hardware be safe to use or could there be some sort of rootkit in there somewhere?

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah I was wondering how this worked. Does it just change a registry value or something so it seems activated?
Unknown.
There are several 'methods' for this, all Not Valid.
The most common is to change the license to a corporate Volume License. In which case it will unactivate itself in 6 months.

Worst case is that you also installed a whole batch of malware, which is doing all sorts of nastiness to your data and connection.

Nov 3, 2019
Since doing all new install (and probably for company) I'd just bite the bullet and get a program to write that HDD full of gibberish, then reinstall. I bet ppl have lots of suggestions what programs to use.

Of course I presume there is some (even some linux in cd / such media) that HDD can be cleaned completely. Personally I wouldn't be worried though, but I'm not perfectionist.