Magnetic fan that cools something called an MCP has failed

claidig

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
I have a DFI board with a magnetic fan that cools something called an MCP (not sure what that is) but the fan is bad and will only spin for a few seconds when I assist it..then it rattles and stops like it's lost the magnetic capability or it's out of balance.

Can this be replaced and what would I search for?

Also all of a sudden I lost my second display monitor but it seems to work during boot-up. Wondering if this is related.

Thank you.

cklaubur

Distinguished
Motherboards with nVidia chipsets used a Media Control Processor for the southbridge. An onboard video card would be part of the same chip, and could cause graphical issues if you are having fan issues. If you are not using onboard video, it's not likely to be your problem.

As far as fixing the fan, you may be able to either replace the fan itself with a standard fan or replace the fan/heatsink assembly with an aftermarket unit. Replacing the entire assembly would probably be easier than trying to replace the fan alone. You will be looking for a chipset cooler.

Casey

claidig

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

Thank you for the reply, I am not using the onboard video as there is no video jack on the board...not sure why there is onboard video if I don;t have a way to hook up a monitor.
I am using a Nvidia card..something in the 7 series...it was working fine as dual displays until today..that's when I saw the fan not spinning.

I just saw a fan for Nvidia southbridge on Ebay for only like $4...I guess I will try that out and hope it's easy to install.

Thank you...if you have any ideas on why I would have all of a sudden lost the dual display that would be great. It does show both monitors when I am booting but once windows opens it goes back to one and the Nvidia control can;t find another monitor...I reinstalled driver software already but had no luck.