Question Main Display No Longer Receives Signal From PC

Jul 3, 2022
I updated my home PC to work as a dual purpose Gaming/ Home PC as well as a Work PC by picking up a third monitor a few months back. Previously I was working with a pair of twin Acer monitors (model: XFA240) hooked up via DP. The third monitor (Samsung C49J890DKN) has worked just fine via HDMI hookup with no real issues until this morning when it was no longer recognized by Windows. I tried all the tricks I know to try to get it working again (checked display settings, checked NVIDIA display settings, restarted computer entirely, checked and updated drivers, removed all monitors/ restarted/ plugged them in one by one), but nothing has worked. I verified the monitor is getting power and when I switched the input to my work laptop, I got a signal to it as well. I also swapped to the other HDMI port on the video card and still have no signal from the PC (Built in April 2019).

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Platinum SSR-750PX 750W
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6
RAM: 32GB DDR4 4300MHz
Display: Acer XFA240 x2, Samsung C49J890DKN x1

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Is the monitor the only addition to your system/build/setup?

I tried all the tricks I know to try to get it working again (checked display settings, checked NVIDIA display settings, restarted computer entirely, checked and updated drivers, removed all monitors/ restarted/ plugged them in one by one), but nothing has worked.
With the lone working monitor on your build, have you tried uninstalling your GPU drivers using DDU? You're advised to remove all drivers using the aforementioned app. When reinstalling your GPU driver, use the latest driver found off of Nvidia's support site.

As s side note, can you get into BIOS and see what your BIOS version is at the time of writing? If you're able to get into OS GUI, what version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with?

Jul 3, 2022

I tried all the tricks I know to try to get it working again (checked display settings, checked NVIDIA display settings, restarted computer entirely, checked and updated drivers, removed all monitors/ restarted/ plugged them in one by one), but nothing has worked.
With the lone working monitor on your build, have you tried uninstalling your GPU drivers using DDU? You're advised to remove all drivers using the aforementioned app. When reinstalling your GPU driver, use the latest driver found off of Nvidia's support site.

As s side note, can you get into BIOS and see what your BIOS version is at the time of writing? If you're able to get into OS GUI, what version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with?

The Samsung monitor is the newest addition, though it was added in December of 2021.

Currently, the twin Acer monitors both work- only the Samsung monitor is giving me issues.

I grabbed the latest drivers from Nvidia today, I will have to download and run DDU when I get home from work later today.

I checked the BIOS version earlier today as well and "wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion" in the command prompt returned 0602.

Windows version 21H1

Jul 3, 2022

Downloaded and ran DDU this afternoon and pulled the latest drivers from the Nvidia website with no change...

Jul 3, 2022
Laptop used same video cable as PC? This kind of problem is usually just cable failure.

Chalk it up to failure in troubleshooting 101.

I'm running the laptop through a KVM so that I can swap between the machines seamlessly. I thought I verified all of the connections were properly seated, but it looks like I missed the cable from the PC to the KVM. Just a bit unseated- barely noticeable unless you REALLY looked at it. Once i pushed it in, I got the "new peripheral attached" notification sound and the monitor came back online.

Thanks for the assistance, especially DRagor, for helping me figure it out in the end.

Reactions: DRagor