News Major Danish Retailer Says It Has Only Received 4% of its RTX 3080 Orders

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
I'd say they're just seeing far more demand than anyone anticipated. Amazon said they saw more traffic for the 3080 launch than they get on Black Friday. That is absolutely insane and nobody could have predicted this.

In this particular instance for this article, I'd say that in this situation where there's only so many cards to go around that the big boy retailers are getting theirs first. Proshop might be big, but they're certainly no BestBuy or Newegg.com.

brianhojensorensen

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2015
I'd say they're just seeing far more demand than anyone anticipated. Amazon said they saw more traffic for the 3080 launch than they get on Black Friday. That is absolutely insane and nobody could have predicted this.

I don't know where you get you tech news from, but this ways predicted months ago. As a side note at least NVIDIA should have known as it is exactly what happened with the 20 series, this time prices are even lower so I would say everybody could have predicted this.

styymy

Commendable
May 22, 2018
Medical supplies and PPE, video cards and next gen gaming console shortages . Is it a stretch to say that no matter the industry, production logistics and the supply chain really aren't what we think they are?

Mark_0

Honorable
Oct 19, 2015
AMD don't have to worry about BN2 being the fastest (within reason) they just have to be able to supply.

We are talking about a country with less than 6 million people. And a major retailer in their country decided to take pre orders.
So I'm pretty sure people in neighboring countries also ordered from them. A safe bet with a pre order from a reputable company. At normal retail price.
Now they are suprised they can not get all the cards they pre sold???
OEM, Boutique System builders and much larger retail chains will get the bulk of available cards.
Us upgraders will have to keep trying.

I will be upgrading this generation, but I make myself wait 6 months or so before amajor upgrade.
I'm slightly behind everyone else( who cares) but early adopters have found all the bugs and drivers have matured.
When you buy a new piece of equipment, and put it close to 100% load from day one, stability is top priority.

Last edited:

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

In this particular instance for this article, I'd say that in this situation where there's only so many cards to go around that the big boy retailers are getting theirs first. Proshop might be big, but they're certainly no BestBuy or Newegg.com.
Where the heck did you read that? Dude, thats like 1000000 % off.

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
And, how much of that traffic was actual people, versus scalp-bots?
Also, how long did that peak traffic last compared to black friday? My guess, they would have taken few data points and compared to traffic on a black friday, Knowing there were bots and gamers (who generally are good at ordering stuff online), its a no big deal/surprise.

hehehahaho

Commendable
Oct 7, 2020
they will all be available a month after the 3070 is finished being sold. its a marketing trick i think.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
You would think that getting a 700 Eu card was a life and death thing for most people by how people react to it not being available right off the bat ...

Poul Wrist

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2013
We are talking about a country with less than 6 million people. And a major retailer in their country decided to take pre orders.
So I'm pretty sure people in neighboring countries also ordered from them. A safe bet with a pre order from a reputable company. At normal retail price.
Now they are suprised they can not get all the cards they pre sold???
OEM, Boutique System builders and much larger retail chains will get the bulk of available cards.
Us upgraders will have to keep trying.

I will be upgrading this generation, but I make myself wait 6 months or so before amajor upgrade.
I'm slightly behind everyone else( who cares) but early adopters have found all the bugs and drivers have matured.
When you buy a new piece of equipment, and put it close to 100% load from day one, stability is top priority.
They didn't allow pre-orders. You could order from them only when the release was official. Their site had stability issues and apparently saw traffic in excess of last year's black friday (because black friday is now a global thing). Then, as per normal, you can order the card and be put in back-order and get it when new stock arrives.
Proshop, which is also a Boutique System Builder, has international presence in Scandinavia, but the neighbouring countries all have their own reputable sellers.
I don't see how the issue is turned in to a "surprise" by you, though. They are facing delivery issues from their manufacturers and people are very angry and spamming trustpilot and similar sites with poor reviews. Being transparent is certainly a better way to handle things, than letting the big corporate overlords go "oh it's just a phenomenon" while the little guys take the flack.

they will all be available a month after the 3070 is finished being sold. its a marketing trick i think.
That would be the opposite of the normal tactic. By releasing the higher end cards they normally hope more people will buy the higher cards which have higher margins. Once you give customers a cheaper option there is less incentive for some customers to step up a level. This doesn’t look like a tactic at all, just sheer demand outstripping supply at a time when supply chains are hindered. I’ve seen a few articles showing stock levels were inline with the 2080 launch. It seems more like a normal launch and NVidia either not predicting the extra demand or just not able to get a higher volume of units to market.

Grindayzier

Honorable
Apr 10, 2014

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Being Danish and buy quite a bit from them when building PC's, well them and Computersalg, they are always very transparent with delays and compensation when stuff goes wrong. Not sure if it was a good idea putting them up sale without a guaranteed inventory delivery, though.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
... stock levels were inline with the 2080 launch. It seems more like a normal launch and NVidia either not predicting the extra demand or just not able to get a higher volume of units to market.
The 2080 launch was also seen as a near disaster, even though Turing isn't seen as particularly good and therefore hasn't sold that well over time. Thus it should come as no surprise that there's a high demand for new cards, and adding a reasonable price to that combined with less than stellar availability at launch is a recipy for disaster.
Nvidia could have delayed the launch by a month or two to allow more cards to reach the retailers, but then they'd also close in on AMD's launch that will likely grab some attention (and customers).

The 2080 launch was also seen as a near disaster, even though Turing isn't seen as particularly good and therefore hasn't sold that well over time. Thus it should come as no surprise that there's a high demand for new cards, and adding a reasonable price to that combined with less than stellar availability at launch is a recipy for disaster.
Nvidia could have delayed the launch by a month or two to allow more cards to reach the retailers, but then they'd also close in on AMD's launch that will likely grab some attention (and customers).
I agree in principle. I don’t remember the 2000 series being ‘near disaster’, it didn’t seem that different to those of prior launches. I am not saying the prior launches were good just there was some consistent standard, albeit low. It seems to me NVidia have regurgitated their usual launch plan but due to various factors it has been woefully inadequate this time.

It seems to me NVidia have regurgitated their usual launch plan but due to various factors it has been woefully inadequate this time.
The "various factors" being that they probably discovered that AMD's high-end cards were likely to be better than expected this generation, meaning they had to slash prices on their previously planned models and overclock them to their limits to prevent AMD from making them look bad. : P

Reactions: Olle P

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The "various factors" being that they probably discovered that AMD's high-end cards were likely to be better than expected this generation, meaning they had to slash prices on their previously planned models and overclock them to their limits to prevent AMD from making them look bad. : P
I do hope those fears are founded. I still don't think AMD needs to have something competitive in the 3090 range (that name suggests that Nvidia is trying to "normalize" Titan-card pricing), but if the rest of Big Navi can make Nvidia sweat, well, that's good for all of us.

Definitely seems to be one. However there are others. I’ve seen articles showing the demand for pc components has increased during the pandemic yet 2000 series sales slowed suggesting a big build up in demand as people have been building/upgrading but holding out for 3000 series. We also seem to have seen bots & scalpers impact supply at launch on a level greater than prior releases. Putting it altogether has created a perfect storm.

Well that’s my observation of what’s happened.

I do hope those fears are founded. I still don't think AMD needs to have something competitive in the 3090 range (that name suggests that Nvidia is trying to "normalize" Titan-card pricing), but if the rest of Big Navi can make Nvidia sweat, well, that's good for all of us.
Me too, I really hope AMD can drive competition as it’s great for us customers. My biggest doubt is if they can improve driver support. To me this has a value I’m willing to pay more for. NVidia do have driver issues but they also respond quickly. Just look at the 3080 stability issue that some thought was due to capacitors. A quick driver update and that’s nearly stopped all reported issues while maintaining gaming performance.