jumex

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
Okay, I am freaking out. My computer came in today, it's a pre-built. I've had it on for awhile, enough to download steam and try a game out. I got max payne 3 downloaded and was playing that. It was smooth and fast, it was getting all the fps it should have and I could tell without checking an fps counter. All of a sudden the wall outlet blew out, tv computer and everything went off. After changing surge protectors, here I am now back on my computer. I started max payne 3 again and it's stuggling. Somthing bad happened, but I don't know what. The psu is a thermaltake 850 TR2 RX.

Before the blow out when everything was working, I briefly was running the game in windowed mode. I know from previous experience that while in windowed mode, both gpu's aren't used. I honestly didn't notice much of a performance dip, but instantly could tell when both gpus were working again once I entered fullscreen mode. Now the game runs as if it using only one gpu, but it almost seems worse. I can't tell you exactly how many frames I was getting before but it was way over 60. I know that because I was getting crazy v tearing and switched on vsync and it definately never once dipped below. No idea what I am getting now, but it is stuggling and dipping probably into the 20s. From what I can see, multi-gpu is still enabled in the console. Disabling makes it run the same, I checked by switching to windowed mode and back in game.

What could have happned? Is it the PSU or is one of the cores disabled? The same outlet had blown out before. Everything seems to work with the new surge protector though.

MSI Afterburner is one of the best programs you can install to monitor GPU temperatures, clock speeds, etc.

There are some similar programs such as EVGA Precision, though. Try that and see if it's still showing the same results.

jumex

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
What do I even do exactly? I mean, I guess it got damaged, but I would have to mail it back to them anyway. Is there someway to at least find out what exactly happened to it before I try and either get my money back or have it replaced. I have a feeling that they try and tell me that it's working so what am talking about?

Temile

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Just tell them it no longer works. Computer hardware should not fail just because the power shuts down when you have a surge protector installed. If that were the case, manufacturers would never have to accept anything back...they would just say it was a power surge and the user's fault.

Levioth

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
If you received the whole lot prebuilt today and its given you this scenario, send the lot back and ask for a replacement or refund... i shouldnt take on a fault finding expedition, send the fault back buddy... you dont want to bodge job an 690 system back into existence.

If this is the 2nd time that particular AC outlet blew out, it could mean that the electrical wiring in your house / apartment is shoddy (i.e. it will blow under high load).

If you rent, then there's nothing you can do.

If you own, then you can replace the electrical wiring. However, this will be expensive.

jumex

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
Okay, it has been awhile since I have posted. I got this thing from ibuypower.com if anyone is familiar with them... you'll know what I am talking about. I had a bit of time to get ahold of a customer service rep who said I would first need to go through trouble shooting with a technician, and then if there was a problem with the card, I would be sent back to him to get a replacement card.

It seems there is no way I can just tell them that the card does not work or I will be sent to trouble-shooting. The only way I figure is that I can expain that the card is no longer is performing optimally after some sort of blowout. And unfortunately all I have to go on is my framerates on max payne 3 before and after this "blow out," and general system sluggishness.

Frankly, if a blow out could have caused that much damage, I'd be concerned about the other parts of my computer as well. The wiring in my house seems fine, except for that particular socket which has had a power surge and load of HD 52 inch tv, 7.1 speakers and plenty of other things plugged into it. I don't find it suprising that the extra draw of my pc could have caused another blow out.

The customer service, for anyone who has dealt ibuypower before, is a hassle. I will not be able to just ask for a system replacement without reasons. They are going to want reasons'why I think the card is wrong and they are going to go through trouble shooting. If I tell them everything is not working, they will do their best to find out it is a lie.

I should not have to say that my power outlet blew out, I have no obligation to tell them that, nor do they have the reason to blame that on me. But to speed things along, what would happend if I mentioned the blow out in order to let them know I have been having troubles with performace since then?

I guess I could simply say everything turned off shortly after loading up my computer, and now things are not working right such as my game performace. But what do you guys think?

jumex

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
This is just a follow up to what I just posted. You have to understand that I receieved my computer last thursday evening, and made the call friday, but left a call back number as I currently am enrolled in school and was not able to spare the time for a 4 hour call. They do not receieve calls over the weekend. Even though these things I would imagine necessitate immediate call back, I am quite busy hence why I am updating this post to explain why I am trying to fix this the week after it arrived.

I am still within the RMA and I bleive I can infact return my order if I so choose, but that is not exactly what I want. When I get the chance to wait and talk to a technician, possiblly this friday, I will have all the time in the world to explain my situation and ask that parts be replaced or that my entire order be built again.

I'd imagine a lot of pc enthusiasts have other things going on with thier lives and can relate to my prediciment. Dealing with a company who has already recieved my money puts me in a rather special bind, however. Had this been a situation in which they risked losing my business, which had actually happend before the purchase, they would be more obliged to hear me out in order to keep their sale. It was a rather large sum of money, my purchase, and now that it has been finalized, I'm certain they have moved their focus away from me.

A gtx 690 and ivy bridge 3700k build should not be performing as it is currently. Whether the wiring in my house, or a fauly surge protector (or both) is the factor should not prevent me from requesting a replacement or new parts, or even a "repairing procedure." However, I should not need to disclose that information, should I?

Mainly because I have not had the time to go through their "touble-shooting," I would not know what to expect, but after the money I spent, regardless if it was a deal to me, I should be able to demand compensation in the form of RMA's or full system replacements rather than system repairs.

I have a feeling that something was not done quite right during this prebuilt, shipping or otherwise, even though it appeard to perform optimally for half a day once I recieved it.

I have installed the msi thing to check my clock speeds, and have already mentioned in this thread that I do not get numerical values, but rather +0's indicating that I have not clocked beyond what the clock values are. And Msi does show support for the gtx690. During trouble-shooting with technical support, should I or should I not mention I have installed such software to check clock speeds?

Problems I have been noticing so far after blown socket include: decline of gaming performance; minimal or zero difference between single and multi gpu mode, LOD flickering and popping (slow texture loading and otherwise) at settings that has produced no problems previously, and general stutter/low frame rate at settings used before the blow out.

Special notes: all control panel settings/compiuter setting show no chance, SSD intel 520 apperas appears function properly, ie load/save times appear to be just as fast. Mainly game performance has suffered as opposed to load speed. Performace appears on par with one single gtx680 as opposed to gtx690, but with obvious texture slow-load/pop-in and flickering at maximum settings that previously caused zero of these issues.

One other note: When computer and appliances turned out due to faulty wall socket/faulty power surger, the metal plug of the power surger into the socket has been chared. Upon switchin power surgers and making sure it was grounded and protected, I have not noticed any problems even with all aplliances drawing from it, including my computer and HDTV, bluray, hometheatre, and other aplliances. I cannot be sure whether the previous surge protector was protected.

jumex

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
Okay, another update.

After tinkering around in the Nvidia control panel, my performance appears to back on par to where it was originally. While gaming however, a vertical green bar runs down the left hand side of my screen along with a small green square to the top right of it.

Google shows that it appears to be an sli problem, but I shouldn't be in sli as it is a gtx 690. I have better performace, but I had this same performance before without the green bar in the same game.

Agian, sorry for the long posts guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Whew, a lot of drama. Here we go.... The GTX 690 is a dual GPU card, so technically it IS running in SLI. The very first things to do are:

1) check Afterburner again, you are looking at the Core Clock slider on the left hand side, but there should also be a graph on the right hand side that shows your actual GPU core clocks. There should be two of them and you can leave it on during gaming, then check the graph after gaming to see your GPU clock speeds in load. If you do not see two core clock speeds on the graph, then right-click on the graph, select 'Properties' and check the box for Core Clocks to enable them. Are both GPU's working and are they both increasing to their gaming speed of 915 mhz?

2) I don't do SLI, but be sure to go into the Nvidia Control Panel and make sure it is enabled.

3) The last thing to do is to make sure you are running the absolute latest drivers directly from the Nvidia website. These should be he 304.79 drivers. To see which drivers you are using, Afterburner will tell you right at the very top on the left hand side.

That should be a start.

jumex

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008

Everything appears to be functional again. I haven't yet had a chance to test whether my card performs the way it should based on benchmarks, but at least it seems to be back to the same performance as when I first got my computer.

I now believe this is due to me plugging my computer into a different AC outlet; the surge protector indicates that it is grounded and protected. The other surge protectors show that they are not protected, and that my be due to that faulty AC outlet.

jumex

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008

Multi-Gpu appears to be enabled. When I have the chance I will try and figure out afterburner and do what you said. I'm having a bit of a problem understanding afterburner as the graphs on the right seem to indicate only gpu power and temperature, though I might just not know what I am looking at.

Also, switching to another AC outlet was what seemed to bring the performance back to when I originally got it; does anyone have any ideas on why that may be the case?

alexander0884

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
you haveconsumer rights, and most companies have a 30 day return policy.

Point is with such an expensive system - WHY risk taking a chance that it might have got damaged, send it back and get a replacement or full refund. Tell them you have no time or effort to sit with a technitian and unless they want to compensate you for your time they should send a replacement.

Afterburner is one of the easiest programs to use. You have the left hand window with sliders that allow you to change your power limit, core offset, and memory speeds, and fan speeds. Then you have the right hand graph to monitor in real time your clock speeds, fan speeds, FPS, memory load, etc. whatever you tell it to monitor. I wouldn't even mess with the sliders. Just keep it at default/stock settings.
imageview.php

To just monitor your card, make sure your graph is set up to monitor the variables you want to keep track of. Right click on the graph and select 'Properties' to enable as much as you want to monitor in the graph.

Be aware that your card runs in different power states, i.e. the clock speeds dial down when you are in idle or doing simple web browsing, then they crank up when you are placing them in load/gaming.

It's amazing what you can find by simply googling "msi afterburner guide":
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/images/Afterburner%20User%20Manual.pdf
http://hupitgaming.com/forum/16-help/314373-short-guide-to-msi-afterburner-and-overclocking-your-graphics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWxCcscrrjM

jetwhite

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
hi all im new here and im having the same problem as jumex had ,my gtx690 has very low performance in all the games i play (like 15-30 fps) .

i dont kno how to fix it :( ...

ok so this is what hapend to my pc ,so i was playing bf3 and had my media player open play some songs ,at first no problem was playing smoothly for like 1 hour then BOOM! my pc shuts down from itself (personnaly i think it overheated 30 degrees here).

then i waited a bit like 30 min ,let it cool of ,..started it up no problems started it normally ,went on internet watched some youtube clips no problems ....but then i tryed playing bf3 again and it was awfull the fps went from 130 to 18 in 1 second and it stayed at it ,and not only in bf3 but also in all the other high end games out there (crysis,crysis 2,etc).so i started evga precicion so i could look at the power usage of both gpu's and it was kinda weird the power usage for gpu 2 was at 98 percent and the second went from 18 to 56 percent ,constantly going up and down the whole time so im asking u guys and girls if u can help me with this problem plz

The first place to start is always to do a clean install of the latest 304.79 drivers from the Nvidia website. Then make sure all your Nvidia Control Panel settings are correct for your setup. Go through each line and don't assume the default settings are best for a dual GPU video card.

jetwhite

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012

i tryed all of that nothing changed :( ,when i look at evga precicion it still shows that only 1 gpu is running at full power while the seconds is only at 8 percent of power (at all time no changes unless i game then it go's like i already said before)

i even used driver sweeper and reinstalled the latest drivers but no change..

thx for ur reply thou

windsymphony

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
some one might have already said this , but iam not gonna bother looking though the whole thing .....

since you said , the power output blew out ( from the plug point i presume ) ....there might be something wrong and its not giving out enough power...

and something might have gone wrong with your PSU due to the power .

1. try with a different plug point .
2. try with a different PSU
3. if both of them dont help that means there was not any problem with them and you should probably claim warranty without mentioning them the power problem in your place ...., just say it went out ( to be safe )

if you ask me trying to solve a problem with this much depth is better done through warranty , forums not gonna help you get too technical with PC :p

Start a new thread, and maybe someone will help.

jumex

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
Been awhile now, Bf3 performance seems up to par but I still have my doubts. Warranty seems to be the best bet, unfortuntely consumer rights is one that not many technicians seem to be aware of. My next option is to have the visa plan deal with them personally, and they sure will not want to hear that. The 30 day money back gurantee only applies if nothing has been opened or used; can you believe that? However I will explain that simply the power turned off and that the computer is not performing as before. I apparently can send the computer in, no charge, to have the parts inspected for damage. If no problem is found they will bill me for shipping and work. However, they failed to wire my computer according to the specifications I payed for and instead simply sent me the cables themselves and used proprietary ones. That is reason enough within their warranty to have it sent back due to workmanship error. I should mention that at the last minute I called and upgraded my mobo which they said would not be a problem. The computer instead shipped before the motherboard had been upgraded, and had to be resent to their company. A technician gave me the buisness about why I didn't call sooner, and I simply said that I was told by customer service that it would be taken care of. The customer service rep then told the technician he did not gurantee me this (a lie) to save himself. I questioned the conduction of their buisness and said that I would be more than happy to refund my order instead. This of course got them moving.

So when it eventually got shipped to me 2 weeks later and without the wiring I had payed for, I assumed that they upgraded the mobo and simply wired it proprietarily and then sent me the cables and thermal paste in a separate bag. That is not what I payed for and is certainly grounds for replacement or refund. Should they give me the buisness again, as I expect that they may do so due to my post-upgrade of the mobo, I will get my credit card company involved. That should immediatly scare them, but if it does not; visa will handle the situation and get me my full refund.