[SOLVED] Make SSD OS boot drive instead of HDD

jtrueppel

Prominent
Jun 17, 2018
Hello all!

I just got a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250gb SSD so my OS can boot faster. Im generally confused on how to transfer my boot OS, which is on my HDD, to boot from my new SSD. People have said to avoid migrating as it can underperform & loose data?... which i would want to avoid. I've already followed this tutorial: https://bit.ly/2GehrsA but i didn't find any luck, unless i may have done something wrong? Videos, step-by-step or images would be very helpful! Thank you in advance! :)

Solution
Same way as putting an elephant in a match box, take matches out first !!!
But seriously, you can't do that, best way is to install windows again on the SSD as there's more to it than just because of space.

jtrueppel

Prominent
Jun 17, 2018
Same way as putting an elephant in a match box, take matches out first !!!
But seriously, you can't do that, best way is to install windows again on the SSD as there's more to it than just because of space.
Will reinstalling windows to my SSD delete all my data on my computer? Thank you for the response by the way!

USAFRet

Titan
Will reinstalling windows to my SSD delete all my data on my computer? Thank you for the response by the way!
Done properly, no it won't.
But your existing applications will not be usable. They need to be reinstalled.

Steam games and similar can probably be worked around.

But a new install on the new SSD will absolutely need a reinstall of all your applications.

jtrueppel

Prominent
Jun 17, 2018
Done properly, no it won't.
But your existing applications will not be usable. They need to be reinstalled.

Steam games and similar can probably be worked around.

But a new install on the new SSD will absolutely need a reinstall of all your applications.

Knowing this information, it would probably be the best & easiest to backup everything on an external hard drive before doing a reinstall of windows? I appreciate the link as well!

Knowing this information, it would probably be the best & easiest to backup everything on an external hard drive before doing a reinstall of windows? I appreciate the link as well!
You should have a full backup anyway but to preempt any problems, just disconnect old drive until you finish installation on new one. That would leave your old drive intact and you can connect it after.