Man Gets Drunk, Shoots Company Server With .45

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]hemelskonijn[/nom]Guns don't kill but give the opportunity to kill and that should be reason enough.[/citation]

So does a car (blunt force, gas emissions), a pencil, a baseball bat, a knife, a pipe, a piece of twine (for choking), broken piece of glass, on and on and on.

If someone decides to kill someone, there are many, many ways to do it. Almost anything can become a weapon. So give it up. People, kill people. Animals kill people. Guns don't make decisions. People do.

warfart1

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom]um... semi-automatic?Civilians aren't normally given licenses to own automatic weapons in the states.[/citation]

I'm not sure what the gun laws are where you live but here (Louisiana) there is no legal distinction between revolvers and semi-automatic handguns, they're both perfectly legal if both yourself and the gun are registered with the state (assuming that your not a convicted felon). I believe it is similar in most other states.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
One time years ago we discovered that someone had opened up our server, beat on the internal components with a screwdriver or chisel, then put it all back together. We arrived at work, the server was dead, we couldn't resurrect it with new cpu/motherboard, so we looked farther. As far as I know, nobody in the company ever discovered who did the damage.

prodigygamer

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
[citation][nom]omario[/nom]It is completely legal to own semi-automatic weapons in any stateUtah does not have any OPPRESSIVE UNCONSTITUTIONAL laws like Kalifornia and such. Semi automatic simply means one shot per every squeze of the trigger until out of ammo. that has nothing to do whatsoever with a machine gun which is FULL-auto. Lot's of anti-gun LIBTARDS even on toms hardware, amazing.[/citation]

For starters it does not have to mean 1 shot per round...it could be a 3 burst round and still classified at "Semi-Auto".

I am not American or Anti Guns, I AM however against all of the uneducated retards that are allowed to carry a gun(s), not everyone should have the "right" to carry fire arms as a lot have no idea what they are doing or just want them for show/image.

[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]At least he used a large caliber instead of a puny 9mm or 38 garbage.[/citation]

A 9mm (3.6/3.7) or 38 would make you just as dead if aimed at your kill points. Size does not always matter, the live rounds would still tear through your skin, internal organs and skull like butter ;)

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
jerreece:

Seriously your saying killing some one with a pencil is just as easy as killing some one with a gun? ... and in your world are pencils made for one thing and one thing only namely killing ? ... does having a pencil in your hand make you feel big and powerful like loads of morons feel when they have a gun in their hand ? ... Lets face it guns are made to kill no more no less.

Defending gun sports and hunting by saying they are fun and fairly harmless is one thing but crying out that guns aren't a bad thing as long as there are spoons and pencils is just showing your ignorance.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Nah, I work in the aerospace industry. One of the greybeards once was talking about a project where they had to design a system processor card (with all kinds of chips on it) that could take a hit from a 50-cal bullet and survive. This meant lots of redundant chips and paths spread all about the board. Long story short, you don't even need the Terminator's titanium-alloy skeleton to protect from a single bullet.That being said, NO commercial server is going to be designed to eat lead and survive, not from IBM, not from Cray, not from nobody.[/citation]
You know you don't need to shoot CPU or system board to kill server. Targeting for example FC card would do a trick :)
You could have multiple system boards, redundant PSUs, but usually there is allways some "single point of failure" in system.

G

The author mentioned it being a .45 automatic (loader) pistol as opposed to revolver. He was not referring to a full-auto weapon.

peanut_bully

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
The whole free-arms/gun-free debate is bigger than most people realize, and it's not something that's going to be solved in the near future. Personally I think Gun Control is a much better option, proper training if you want a firearm of any type and only being able to own a firearm if a proven need for it exists (even if recreational). Does anybody really need five shotguns? True, guns don't make decisions, people so. But you still need training and a license to drive a car, so why can you buy a gun over the counter? Of course, this opens the debate for knives, bows/crossbows, axes and various other weapons and tools that can be used as weapons. So like I said, a difficult debate.

There was also a comment regarding the ability of a 9mm or .38 to stop an assailant; my father was a police reservist in the 90's and he upgraded to a .44 after an attacker took 5 shots to stop with a 9mm (and the person survived). Of course a shot in a sensitive area will stop a person, however in a dark place, close quarters, uncontrolled environment... you want a slow, heavy projectile with a lot of stopping power. The main advantage of the smaller calibers is the large magazine capacity.

But more on topic - couldn't he just have unplugged the server from the UPS and hide the cable? :)

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom]um... semi-automatic?Civilians aren't normally given licenses to own automatic weapons in the states.[/citation]
Um, I guess you don't know the law and weapons.

Automatic, AKA Fully-Automatic: Pull and hold the trigger to repeatedly discharge bullets.

Semi-Automatic: Once cocked, the gun will not need cocked again to fire. One trigger pull, one bullet. Holding the trigger will not fire more than one bullet. Pretty much all non-revolver type hand-guns are semi-autos.

The law applies FULLY automatic handguns and most full-auto longguns when purchased after certain dates depending on the state you live in.

pcfxer

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
[citation][nom]rollerdisco[/nom]I knew the movie "Terminator" was bull****, see 1 bullet takes down a machine.[/citation]

Where does it say the server "died" or went down? :)

pcfxer

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
[citation][nom]peanut_bully[/nom]The whole free-arms/gun-free debate is bigger than most people realize, and it's not something that's going to be solved in the near future. Personally I think Gun Control is a much better option, proper training if you want a firearm of any type and only being able to own a firearm if a proven need for it exists (even if recreational). Does anybody really need five shotguns? True, guns don't make decisions, people so. But you still need training and a license to drive a car, so why can you buy a gun over the counter? Of course, this opens the debate for knives, bows/crossbows, axes and various other weapons and tools that can be used as weapons. So like I said, a difficult debate.There was also a comment regarding the ability of a 9mm or .38 to stop an assailant; my father was a police reservist in the 90's and he upgraded to a .44 after an attacker took 5 shots to stop with a 9mm (and the person survived). Of course a shot in a sensitive area will stop a person, however in a dark place, close quarters, uncontrolled environment... you want a slow, heavy projectile with a lot of stopping power. The main advantage of the smaller calibers is the large magazine capacity.But more on topic - couldn't he just have unplugged the server from the UPS and hide the cable? :)[/citation]

It's simple, any fool can pull a trigger.

Now give a fool an axe, knife, etc. and we'll see what he can do to my 20 years of martial arts and night club experience. The gun, well..."how high do I jump?"

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]pcfxer[/nom]It's simple, any fool can pull a trigger.Now give a fool an axe, knife, etc. and we'll see what he can do to my 20 years of martial arts and night club experience. The gun, well..."how high do I jump?"[/citation]
As in "fool" I would guess you mean someone who does not have 20 years experience with said weapons?

garyshome

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
He's just trying to stimulate the economy. Someone has to fix it now, New parts. Oh and someone will get his job also. The president should use this tactic to find people new jobs. Great Idea

brianfulcher15

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Oh man, I know that feeling! I can't count the number of times I've gotten frustrated with a machine and felt like putting a bullet in it (or at the very least, tossing it out a window).[/citation]
semi-auto is legal, fully auto is not in most states.

brianfulcher15

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
[citation][nom]brianfulcher15[/nom]semi-auto is legal, fully auto is not in most states.[/citation]
thats a low value for a server, most companies servers once loaded with all their apps and cost of installation are above 100K

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I wonder what made this guy snap? Maybe the server thought it was a p$3 and the guy was getting even for something it took away from him?

Status
Not open for further replies.