Man Gets Drunk, Shoots Company Server With .45

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I feel his pain... there are many days that I want to destroy a server or the whole farm myself.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom]um... semi-automatic?Civilians aren't normally given licenses to own automatic weapons in the states.[/citation]
Automatic loading!

a-a-a

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]At least he used a large caliber instead of a puny 9mm or 38 garbage.[/citation]

A 9mm will work just fine for just about anything. It's not always about how big the round is, its about where you put it. Springfield XDM 9mm has a 20 round capacity. With that many rounds available, a .22 wouldn't be so funny either. :)

G

I work for the company that built and repaired the 'server' that this guy shot.

The story circulating the internet is slightly wrong. Here is what really happened: the guy shot 17 rounds (hollow points) into a variety of servers as well as 2 APC battery backups. He was very thorough in hunting down specific servers throughout the building. 10 servers were destroyed beyond repair but a few were repaired with replacement parts.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]SLCtech[/nom]I work for the company that built and repaired the 'server' that this guy shot. The story circulating the internet is slightly wrong. Here is what really happened: the guy shot 17 rounds (hollow points) into a variety of servers as well as 2 APC battery backups. He was very thorough in hunting down specific servers throughout the building. 10 servers were destroyed beyond repair but a few were repaired with replacement parts.[/citation]

Pictures and credentials and a link to where you work with your name on it or I call Bull****

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
This guy is my hero. I want a picture of him for my wall.

$100k server? Must have been a BMF (or ibm). I just priced out dell's best server for a purchase decked out with 512Gb ram and almost a full Tb of SAS 15k raid10 storage and it came in at about 70k.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
The amount of ignorance about firearms here astounds me:

1) Fully automatic weapons are legal in many state (I think up to 36) with a proper permit (as are sound suppressors).

2) To all you know-it-alls, an "automatic" handgun is one that AUTOMATICALLY extracts and then chambers another bullet (ie you don't have to chamber the round manually). They are also called "auto loaders" and "semi automatics"; they are all the same thing. Jane is, in fact, correct in calling the .45 an automatic. A Fully Automatic is what many of you are thinking an automatic is.

Please do more research next time on your firearms guys...like not relying on video games for your knowledge.

Drace

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
[citation][nom]thegreathuntingdolphin[/nom]The amount of ignorance about firearms here astounds me:1) Fully automatic weapons are legal in many state (I think up to 36) with a proper permit (as are sound suppressors).2) To all you know-it-alls, an "automatic" handgun is one that AUTOMATICALLY extracts and then chambers another bullet (ie you don't have to chamber the round manually). They are also called "auto loaders" and "semi automatics"; they are all the same thing. Jane is, in fact, correct in calling the .45 an automatic. A Fully Automatic is what many of you are thinking an automatic is.Please do more research next time on your firearms guys...like not relying on video games for your knowledge.[/citation]

I also think there are too many people playing FPS vs. actually handling firearms on this thread.

All I thought in the "automatic" comment was that it wasn't a revolver, ala auto loader, as stated above, which is the usual use of an automatic designation concerning pistols.

"Fully-Automatic pistols" are usually what is referred to as a submachine gun.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]sirmorluk[/nom]As in "fool" I would guess you mean someone who does not have 20 years experience with said weapons?[/citation]

There is a reason the light rail transit police don't mind the SCA doing their live steel and rattan practice at one of the transit stations. No one tends to break into cars or hassle travelers when they're there.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]You know what else gives the oppurtunity to kill? Forks. Everyone should have to use spoons with rounded edges from now on. We cannot trust civilians with forks. They might kill someone with the lethal weapon.[/citation]

Great. now I have the image of the Billy Jean video with the two guys going at it with Switch-Sporks.

"I'm gonna spork you man!!"

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mikem_90[/nom]There is a reason the light rail transit police don't mind the SCA doing their live steel and rattan practice at one of the transit stations. No one tends to break into cars or hassle travelers when they're there.[/citation]
:)

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Drace[/nom]I also think there are too many people playing FPS vs. actually handling firearms on this thread.All I thought in the "automatic" comment was that it wasn't a revolver, ala auto loader, as stated above, which is the usual use of an automatic designation concerning pistols. "Fully-Automatic pistols" are usually what is referred to as a submachine gun.[/citation]

Actually, you have it backwards. "Semi-Auto" is the correct designation for pistols of the 1 trigger pull per bullet autoloaders (not revolvers), and "automatic" also covers burst fire weapons. "Fully auto" is what machineguns do. Don't let the media fools skew the terminology in the debate, these are the same people who think an automatic rifle with a 30 round magazine can spray bullets for 20 seconds.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I wouldn't have gone with the mugged and drugged defense, I would have pointed out that the bullet holes were, in fact, speed holes to make the server go faster.

Also, guns don't kill people, dangerous minorities do :p

G

It's really amazing how the anti gun crowd thinks, they perceive it as dangerous thus it must be banned, if we used that 'logic' for anything dangerous then we may as well lock ourselves in padded rooms and never venture out, everything can be dangerous / deadly if put to ill intent. And I'm sure those same people that hate guns have no issue getting onto the freeway doing 70+mph. More people die / get injured on the freeways per year than from gun violence. Don't let your fears justify the infringement of my rights, what if I didn't like your type of speech? can I then justify taking your 1st amendment rights away?

croc

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]Actually, you have it backwards. "Semi-Auto" is the correct designation for pistols of the 1 trigger pull per bullet autoloaders (not revolvers), and "automatic" also covers burst fire weapons. "Fully auto" is what machineguns do.[/citation]

No, Drace has it right: An automatic pistol is a semi-automatic pistol. They are the same thing. Fully automatic or burst fire pistols are classified as "machine pistols". For example, the Beretta M93R, the mini Uzi, the MAC 10, the Glock 18, and the Steyre TMP are all referred to and classified as "machine pistols".

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom]um... semi-automatic?Civilians aren't normally given licenses to own automatic weapons in the states.[/citation]
Well, if the automatic weapon is older than the law that states they are not allowed to own it, that is not true.

Drace

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]Actually, you have it backwards. "Semi-Auto" is the correct designation for pistols of the 1 trigger pull per bullet autoloaders (not revolvers), and "automatic" also covers burst fire weapons. "Fully auto" is what machineguns do. Don't let the media fools skew the terminology in the debate, these are the same people who think an automatic rifle with a 30 round magazine can spray bullets for 20 seconds.[/citation]

I'll try to go slow so maybe you will follow me, and might learn something.

You said just about the same thing that I did, at the same time stating I have it backwards. All I was stating is that an Auto-loading pistol is typically referred to as an automatic, as in it's auto-loading function, regardless if the pistol is single or double action. Does it still fire as a "semi-automatic" as well as can it be referred to as semi-auto? Yes. But it is two different designations and classifications of firearms, as well as two different usages of the designation "automatic." An automatic firing weapon using a caliber of round that usually is used for a pistol is typically referred to as a submachine gun or submachine pistol. So, you can safely assume the majority of the time that an automatic pistol is referring to it's auto-loading capability, rather then it's rate of fire.

No, I do not get my info from the media. I was taught young and taught well by my father, a Marine Corps Vietnam Veteran.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
[citation][nom]croc4[/nom]It's really amazing how the anti gun crowd thinks, they perceive it as dangerous thus it must be banned, if we used that 'logic' for anything dangerous then we may as well lock ourselves in padded rooms and never venture out, everything can be dangerous / deadly if put to ill intent. And I'm sure those same people that hate guns have no issue getting onto the freeway doing 70+mph. More people die / get injured on the freeways per year than from gun violence. Don't let your fears justify the infringement of my rights, what if I didn't like your type of speech? can I then justify taking your 1st amendment rights away? croc[/citation]

Read your own post and just think about this ... why would the whole world think that the majority of the us consist of ignorant uneducated middle class people? I am not talking about the middle east here (that's just to obvious) i am talking about Europe and Asia Australia and Africa and even in South America the general opinion on the Americans is not that good to putt it lightly. Personally i don't think your complete nation is filled with such ignorant people but its a fact that there are far to many.

serra

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Well... it could have been a 45 cal AUTOMATIC pistol. Those are bad! However, he would have shot the wall, the floor, the server, the ceiling...

spartanii

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
This is why we make poeple get license for guns....hey our server has been shot with a .45 ...hey didnt that guys say he awas gonna shoot that server...hey ya he did hey and look at that he has a license for a .45. Case Solved

and shut up with your Unconstitional crap it was written 250 years ago. We live in modern times with modern problems. Im not saying ban guns but using the loose wording of the constition (Everyone has the right to bare arms) to set laws in the modern world is Re-tarded if you take the constituion at its word then I should be able to own a barret .50 cal sniper rifle, a vulcan cannon or Rocket launcher or how about a thermo-nuclear warhead. If you say you follow the word of the constiution then you have to believe that you have the rights to own those weapons and if you do then you are a cerifiable wack job.

G

"Automatic" is just 75 year old slang for self-loading firearms. It was common in my father's youth! Not at all worth discussion.

While some states do prohibit civilian ownership of fully automatic firearms, most do not. Where state legal, all a citizen needs is a tax stamp (that includes a very invasive background check and other offensive stuff) from the U.S. government and the finances to be able to afford one. They are bloody expensive, now.

Status
Not open for further replies.