Status
Not open for further replies.

DGP_2000

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
The dealers at these shows .......... Would they normally do trades on used Pc hardware items ?

Just wondering because I'm upgrading soon & would like to dispense of my current setup & maybe do some swapping .

Would like a few "estimates" from others on what each of these components is worth in trade ?

Knowing I will get minimal if anything from the items listed ...... but such is life in the world of upgrading .

Athlon "classic" 650
Msi K7Pro
Viper V550

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry, you probably won't get anything for that stuff.
I go to these shows and most of the time the dealers are selling the most recent products for over inflated prices to make a nice profit. For things like motherboards and processors, you can usually expect to pay $50 more than the lowest price on www.pricewatch.com.
The only thing that these vendors will buy from you will be ram. And usually they will only buy it from you for about half of what they are selling it for. So a 128MB stick of PC133 ram would only get you about $25 from these vendors.
Where they really make most of their money is from buying generic parts like sound cards and video cards and cheap all-in-one motherboards and putting them in a system and selling it for the same price as Dell, Gateway or Compaq. The only problem is that the parts you get in a computer from a computer show are usually cheap and generic and the company that makes the parts are on the verge of going out of business.

My advice, stick to name brand everything when it comes to computer shows and make sure you check on the internet before you go so you know how much these things should cost.
And never buy a complete system from a computer show.
Just my opinion.

-Gimme oysters and beer for dinner everyday of the year and I'll feel fine.

DGP_2000

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
I agree with what you say about the "Generic" items they have at these shows , for I've been going to this type of show in Orlando for a few times now & steer clear from the modems , soundcards & videocards that are noname .

Have you ever bought anything from the show that the dealer would not let you return but gave you credit for the item ? You look at the items he has & say to yourself "nothing but junk" & keep the item you originally bought ? **LOL**

How about independant dealers ? (small computer shops)
Are they any better or is the markup about the same ?

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have purchased ram from computer shows and have tried to sell it back to them a few months later and they will take it but I experienced a whooping loss.

I purchased my A7V, Duron 600, and FOP32 from a vendor online called www.unitedmicro.com a few weeks before the computer show only because they were from Ohio and they are always at the computer show that comes to Pittsburgh. And wouldn't you know it, they sent me the wrong HSF. So the day of the computer show I went down and showed them the HSF they sent me and my reciept and the exchanged it for the correct on on the spot. It was cheaper than driving to Ohio or shipping it back.

I also bought an Asus P5A and an FIC 2013 (both mobos) and neither of them worked correctly.

The ram and the K6-2 and K6-III chips I bought at the computer show worked fine.

Just be careful.

-Gimme oysters and beer for dinner everyday of the year and I'll feel fine.

G

I personally have been to about 30 or so marketpro shows.
1) The dealers are not going to trade for used merchandise. Unless it's RAM
2) The stuff you are trying to trade is useless anyway. Sorry.
3) For all the people out there dissin marketpro they do not know what they are doing and are probably just buying crappy pre-built systems. I will agree and say that the pre-build systems do indeed suck but the shows are VERY good for buying computer hardware for cheap. For instance, I recently purchased an Asus A7V board and a T-Bird 1000 as well as various other components. The people who are saying that the prices are higher than online retailer list sites obviously are too stupid to build their own computers and have therefore not priced parts individually.

My recomendation is to sell all your old computer hardware on E-bay and go to a marketpro and buy parts to build your own computer. If you do not know how to build and configure your own system then do not go to the show because the pre-built's are big rip offs.

G

If I wasent living 1/2 way around the world in Aust I would buy them off you

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the insults.
Everything in my previous post were my experiences with computer shows. I have an annual pass so I go both days of one weekend each month. I have been doing this for the past several years. So I do believe that I know what I am talking about.
I have built several of my own systems and systems for others.
I also have priced items on www.pricewatch.com.

With all this in mind, my opinions of computer shows are accurate considering my experiences.
You may have had different experiences.

Again, thanks for saying that I don't know what I am doing and for calling me stupid.
I predict you will be very popular on these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.