Question Massive CPU issue with my i7-4800mq!

Jul 31, 2024
I'm currently on a laptop, I use ThrottleStop and task manager and alot of other things including completely modifying my power plan settings (My processor performance decrease threshold is 0% while the increase one is at 100%), and my CPU is undervolted by -70 on CPU and cache. Yet, my CPU refuses to budge or increase it's frequency to 2.7 Ghz, I have completely abandoned trying to get it to 3.0 Ghz (Even though it can boost to that), and I am purely trying to get it to it's base speed, might someone help me in my goal? And, just something you should note before replying, yes, I have modified my registry in an attempt to get my CPU to atleast stay at it's base speed, yet it does not want to. Thank you for reading. (Base speed is 2.7 Ghz. The CPU is I7-4800MQ. I do not have any thermal issues, and, I do not have any drivers that are either old, or, could affect performance. And, only ThrottleStop can increase the frequency to 2.7 Ghz by setting the undervolt to -100.)

@NuclearReactor
If you have made some random changes to your Windows power plan and now you are having problems, open up Power Options and press the Restore plan defaults button to reset your power plan. Reset any changes to the registry that you made. The Maximum processor state needs to be set to 100%.

Most of the tweaks that are recommended on the internet are not necessary. They can cause more problems than they fix.

Post screenshots of ThrottleStop including the FIVR and TPL windows. ThrottleStop can fix a lot of common problems but it needs to be setup correctly. Most internet guides are for newer CPUs. The 4th Gen CPUs need to have SpeedStep enabled when using Set Multiplier.

I have a very similar 4700MQ that runs great so I should be able to help you.

kevpRDd.png

Jul 31, 2024
@NuclearReactor
If you have made some random changes to your Windows power plan and now you are having problems, open up Power Options and press the Restore plan defaults button to reset your power plan. Reset any changes to the registry that you made. The Maximum processor state needs to be set to 100%.

Most of the tweaks that are recommended on the internet are not necessary. They can cause more problems than they fix.

Post screenshots of ThrottleStop including the FIVR and TPL windows. ThrottleStop can fix a lot of common problems but it needs to be setup correctly. Most internet guides are for newer CPUs. The 4th Gen CPUs need to have SpeedStep enabled when using Set Multiplier.

I have a very similar 4700MQ that runs great so I should be able to help you.

kevpRDd.png
I woke up to this notification and booted up my computer immediately, it's currently 3:27 am for me that it, and I apologise for responding a bit late and I apologise if I have bad english. I have taken a few images that might help you.
OHf0dhI.png
lGtZ05p.png
VQ2Ba2E.png
U3Ffawh.png

Anything above 70 is unstable, Therefore i cannot rely on ThrottleStop to mitigate my issues. I also do not have the option to adjust maximum processor state in my power plan settings.

cdVdLfB.png

The problems arose before any adjustments were made to my registry or powerplan, i even switch to the genuine "High performance" power plan and noticed only a 30 point difference when compared to my plan on CPU-Z's stress test. (my plan was 30 points higher if i wasn't being clear)

i cannot rely on ThrottleStop to mitigate my issues
The way you have ThrottleStop setup is causing your issues.

To run at any speed higher than the 2700 MHz base frequency, Intel Turbo Boost must be enabled.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...4800mq-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-70-ghz.html

You have Disable Turbo checked and you have lowered the turbo ratios in the FIVR window. The default turbo ratios from top to bottom when not overclocking are 37, 36, 35, 35. Your turbo ratios are all all set to 27.

Do not check Power Cut until you know how to use it. Get your CPU up to full speed first.

The Maximum processor state setting should be under Processor power management. If you have access to that setting, make sure it is set to 100%. Anything less can disable Intel Turbo Boost. Setting this to 99% disables Turbo Boost.

8uHQVQB.png

The 4th Gen CPUs need to have SpeedStep enabled when using Set Multiplier.

Set Multiplier does not work when the FIVR - Non Turbo Ratio is set to 1. Enable SpeedStep and set the Non Turbo Ratio to 0 if you want to use Set Multiplier. If you are not overclocking, Set Multiplier should be set to 37, not 27.

Anything above 70 is unstable
For my 4700MQ, any core or cache offset voltage setting above -40 mV is not 100% stable. All CPUs are unique. If you are not 100% stable at -70 mV then try -60 mV.

If you are still having problems, post some updated screenshots.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2024
The way you have ThrottleStop setup is causing your issues.

To run at any speed higher than the 2700 MHz base frequency, Intel Turbo Boost must be enabled.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...4800mq-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-70-ghz.html

You have Disable Turbo checked and you have lowered the turbo ratios in the FIVR window. The default turbo ratios from top to bottom when not overclocking are 37, 36, 35, 35. Your turbo ratios are all all set to 27.

Do not check Power Cut until you know how to use it. Get your CPU up to full speed first.

The Maximum processor state setting should be under Processor power management. If you have access to that setting, make sure it is set to 100%. Anything less can disable Intel Turbo Boost. Setting this to 99% disables Turbo Boost.

8uHQVQB.png

Set Multiplier does not work when the FIVR - Non Turbo Ratio is set to 1. Enable SpeedStep and set the Non Turbo Ratio to 0 if you want to use Set Multiplier. If you are not overclocking, Set Multiplier should be set to 37, not 27.

For my 4700MQ, any core or cache offset voltage setting above -40 mV is not 100% stable. All CPUs are unique. If you are not 10

0% stable at -70 mV then try -60 mV.

If you are still having problems, post some updated screenshots.
Yes, I understand.

My goal is to maintain a constant and unwavering 2.7ghz, Turbo boosting would be nice, but I have no thermal head room due to climate reasons, My Laptop doesn't overheat but it has barely thermal head room.

For my 4700MQ, any core or cache offset voltage setting above -40 mV is not 100% stable. All CPUs are unique. If you are not 100% stable at -70 mV then try -60 mV.
My CPU is 100% stable at -63mV, I verified this using multiple prolonged tests. Lasting several hours.

I think, as I am not sure, that 27 multiplier should force my CPU to stay at 2.7 Ghz, Correct? If I am wrong, I would like if you corrected me, as I am not sure. And, I did use your recommendations in the way my ThrottleStop is setup. I will now send multiple pictureof my ThrottleStop Program and it's settings. I hope it's correct.
YmAIi3Q.png
9h6Lvea.png
kRL8HqV.png

As you might've seen in the previous image, my frequency dipped to 2.18 Ghz. Could I know why? Thanks for responding and taking the time out of your day to help me.

Last edited:
Could I know why?
Enable SpeedStep.

my frequency dipped to 2.18 GHz
Open the Limit Reasons window when testing. Does Limit Reasons show any boxes lighting up red under the CORE column when the frequency dips?

Copy and paste your log file data to,
www.pastebin.com

Clear the More Data box before you start logging data.

What is the Windows Maximum processor frequency set to?
What laptop model do you have?

Jul 31, 2024
Enable SpeedStep.

Open the Limit Reasons window when testing. Does Limit Reasons show any boxes lighting up red under the CORE column when the frequency dips?

Copy and paste your log file data to,
www.pastebin.com

Clear the More Data box before you start logging data.

I understand.
Enable SpeedStep.
Done, Set multiplier now works and Anything above 26 causes perfromance to drop from the usual 1400 to as low as 1180 at 37T.
No, I have done further testing and, when the multiplier is set to anything above 26, "EDP CURRENT" on core and ring turns red, but remains yellow on GPU no matter what. Note, It only turns red while on load, anything above while not underload doesn't affect the system. Nothing else appears on the limits window except "EDP CURRENT".
3700. As was stock when I installed windows.
Dell latitude E6540.
Yet again, I thank you dearly for taking the time to help me.
Logs for about 15 minutes of stressing

Last edited:
Dell latitude
The Dell Latitude series from this era have some horrible throttling problems.

The log file shows constant EDP throttling. That is what is preventing the CPU from running at full speed when it is loaded. Dell decided to set a very low current limit. I do not think ThrottleStop can be used to fix this type of throttling problem.

In the Options window try checking the Disable Chipset Throttle box. It might help a little but it is no fix for EDP throttling.

My 4700MQ is in a Lenovo Y510P. It does not have any EDP throttling issues. Here is an example of it running at full speed while fully loaded with the Power Cut feature enabled.

IOto2VB.png

What PowerCut does is it tricks the CPU into reporting the incorrect power consumption. This is about the only thing that might help your throttling problem. To use PowerCut you have to first set a fixed VCCIN voltage in the FIVR window. This is the main input voltage. This is stepped down before this voltage goes to the CPU cores. Default VCCIN is 1.80V.

To enable PowerCut, set the VCCIN to 1.799 or just a hair under 1.80V and press Apply. This value should show up in the monitoring table. Now, when your computer is idle at the desktop, check the PowerCut box and press Apply again. Try doing some testing to see if this makes any difference.

If you still see EDP throttling after enabling PowerCut then I guess you are out of luck. You will need to reset the VCCIN slider and clear the PowerCut box before rebooting to reset this.

Jul 31, 2024
The Dell Latitude series from this era have some horrible throttling problems.

The log file shows constant EDP throttling. That is what is preventing the CPU from running at full speed when it is loaded. Dell decided to set a very low current limit. I do not think ThrottleStop can be used to fix this type of throttling problem.

In the Options window try checking the Disable Chipset Throttle box. It might help a little but it is no fix for EDP throttling.

My 4700MQ is in a Lenovo Y510P. It does not have any EDP throttling issues. Here is an example of it running at full speed while fully loaded with the Power Cut feature enabled.

IOto2VB.png

What PowerCut does is it tricks the CPU into reporting the incorrect power consumption. This is about the only thing that might help your throttling problem. To use PowerCut you have to first set a fixed VCCIN voltage in the FIVR window. This is the main input voltage. This is stepped down before this voltage goes to the CPU cores. Default VCCIN is 1.80V.

To enable PowerCut, set the VCCIN to 1.799 or just a hair under 1.80V and press Apply. This value should show up in the monitoring table. Now, when your computer is idle at the desktop, check the PowerCut box and press Apply again. Try doing some testing to see if this makes any difference.

If you still see EDP throttling after enabling PowerCut then I guess you are out of luck. You will need to reset the VCCIN slider and clear the PowerCut box before rebooting to reset this.
I did not experience such an issue before, I did experience EDP throttling, but not a limited frequency.

No difference besides losing 10 points in CPU-Z. I did all of what you told me to do as best as I could, I'll provide images below.
N3w6seb.png
28BGxOA.png

This experiment has netted me a -20 point total over my previous settings in ThrottleStop.
I thank you dearly for continually replying to all of my messages in an attempt to help me, I thank you yet again.

Last edited:
I did experience EDP throttling, but not a limited frequency.
EDP throttling results in a limited frequency. This problem may have recently got worse.

At the beginning of the log file you posted, it shows constant EDP throttling even when your computer is idle. You should never be seeing EDP throttling during an idle situation. After a while EDP throttling magically goes away. At that point your laptop starts to limit the CPU multiplier to as low as 8 which reduces the CPU speed to approximately 800 MHz.

It is typical of the Dell Latitude series that when one throttling method does not work, a laptop will automatically switch to a different method. The amount of throttling depends on load and likely feedback from a temperature sensor on the motherboard. The CPU temperature does not seem to be what triggers the random throttling.

The box to the right of PowerCut shows Enabled in your screenshot so that is working correctly. When running a benchmark with PowerCut enabled you might have noticed that the power consumption being reported was very low. This can solve one throttling problem but it does not solve the EDP throttling problem that you have.

Did you check the Disable Chipset Throttle box in the Options window? This can be used to solve another throttling method that only Dell laptops seem to use but it still does not solve the EDP throttling issue.

Some Dell laptop throttling issues are caused by the power adapter. Are you using an original Dell OEM power adapter with the correct power wattage? If your laptop is using a generic power adapter or if your laptop fails to detect that you are using the correct Dell adapter, the BIOS can decide to set a low current limit. This can cause EDP throttling.

The Dell website shows both a 180W power adapter and a 130W power adapter is available for the Latitude E6540. It is quite possible that your laptop limits the current and CPU speed when using the 130W adapter. The 180W adapter might fix your EDP throttling problem but there are no guarantees. I am guessing that your laptop originally shipped with the 130W adapter.

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/pfydresults/234759?categoryId=8491

This experiment has netted me a -20 point total over my previous settings
Your EDP throttling issues are quite random. CPU-Z benchmark scores can vary a small amount even when everything is exactly the same. Whether your computer is using EDP throttling or multiplier throttling seems to happen randomly so your scores will vary based on that alone. It is possible that a sensor somewhere on your motherboard has failed and it is supplying incorrect information to the embedded controller (EC) that manages your CPU speed.

Are you using the latest BIOS version? If you are using an old version you can try updating the BIOS. If you are using the newest BIOS version, you can try using an older BIOS version. I usually do not recommend trying to update the BIOS because the latest version might disable CPU voltage control. An updated BIOS might make things worse. In this situation, your laptop is running terrible so I guess you have to try something.

Jul 31, 2024
EDP throttling results in a limited frequency. This problem may have recently got worse.

At the beginning of the log file you posted, it shows constant EDP throttling even when your computer is idle. You should never be seeing EDP throttling during an idle situation. After a while EDP throttling magically goes away. At that point your laptop starts to limit the CPU multiplier to as low as 8 which reduces the CPU speed to approximately 800 MHz.

It is typical of the Dell Latitude series that when one throttling method does not work, a laptop will automatically switch to a different method. The amount of throttling depends on load and likely feedback from a temperature sensor on the motherboard. The CPU temperature does not seem to be what triggers the random throttling.

The box to the right of PowerCut shows Enabled in your screenshot so that is working correctly. When running a benchmark with PowerCut enabled you might have noticed that the power consumption being reported was very low. This can solve one throttling problem but it does not solve the EDP throttling problem that you have.

Did you check the Disable Chipset Throttle box in the Options window? This can be used to solve another throttling method that only Dell laptops seem to use but it still does not solve the EDP throttling issue.

Some Dell laptop throttling issues are caused by the power adapter. Are you using an original Dell OEM power adapter with the correct power wattage? If your laptop is using a generic power adapter or if your laptop fails to detect that you are using the correct Dell adapter, the BIOS can decide to set a low current limit. This can cause EDP throttling.

The Dell website shows both a 180W power adapter and a 130W power adapter is available for the Latitude E6540. It is quite possible that your laptop limits the current and CPU speed when using the 130W adapter. The 180W adapter might fix your EDP throttling problem but there are no guarantees. I am guessing that your laptop originally shipped with the 130W adapter.

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/pfydresults/234759?categoryId=8491

Your EDP throttling issues are quite random. CPU-Z benchmark scores can vary a small amount even when everything is exactly the same. Whether your computer is using EDP throttling or multiplier throttling seems to happen randomly so your scores will vary based on that alone. It is possible that a sensor somewhere on your motherboard has failed and it is supplying incorrect information to the embedded controller (EC) that manages your CPU speed.

Are you using the latest BIOS version? If you are using an old version you can try updating the BIOS. If you are using the newest BIOS version, you can try using an older BIOS version. I usually do not recommend trying to update the BIOS because the latest version might disable CPU voltage control. An updated BIOS might make things worse. In this situation, your laptop is running terrible so I guess you have to try something.
I am using the latest BIOS version, I don't think a few windows reinstalls could affect my BIOS. And, yes, you were correct. I'm using the 130W Dell adapter, I will later attempt to get the higher wattage 180W adapter, But currently, what else could I do besides downgrading my BIOS? I'm afraid I might brick my computer. I do know how to downgrade the BIOS, But I do not want to repeat mistakes I've done in the past on accident, I cannot currently afford to fix my laptop if something goes horribly wrong. And, There were never any options in the BIOS that could control CPU voltage, not on the old version, or the new version. And, I did tick the disable chipset box. (I apologize, I misunderstood you.)

Last edited:
How long have you owned this laptop? Was there ever a time where you could run the CPU-Z benchmark test at full speed? Not 100 MHz faster but at consistent and full speed like my 4700MQ runs at when it is fully loaded.

Was there ever a point in time where there was a sudden drop in performance? Were you the one that updated your laptop to the latest BIOS version? If so, when? Some BIOS updates increase the amount of throttling and can make performance worse.

From the information you have posted so far, my best guess is that a sensor has likely gone bad on the motherboard or in the power adapter. When you are getting constant EDP throttling when a computer is idle, something is definitely not right. There is no way to fix this unless you start replacing parts. I have a hard time recommending replacing your power adapter with the 180W version. This could fix the problem you are having but it could just as likely be a waste of money. It might not make any difference if the real problem is a bad sensor on the motherboard.

Even if you could find a replacement motherboard on eBay at a reasonable price, I cannot recommend buying it. Your laptop model is 10+ years old. Any used motherboards may have the same issues that your motherboard has or it may develop the same problem a week or a month later.

I cannot currently afford to fix my laptop
If you cannot afford to fix your laptop then you should not be trying to downgrade the BIOS. I am not sure if you will be able to find an older BIOS version. Trying to go back to a previous version is never a 100% safe thing to do.

Your Dell laptop has reached the end of life stage. It is not worth fixing. Just keep using it as is. Performance will vary between poor and terrible. It might be OK for light duty internet use.

PowerCut did not solve anything so you do not need to use that feature. Set VCCIN back to its default setting. Some of the other ThrottleStop features I recommended might help a little.

Jul 31, 2024
How long have you owned this laptop? Was there ever a time where you could run the CPU-Z benchmark test at full speed? Not 100 MHz faster but at consistent and full speed like my 4700MQ runs at when it is fully loaded.

Was there ever a point in time where there was a sudden drop in performance? Were you the one that updated your laptop to the latest BIOS version? If so, when? Some BIOS updates increase the amount of throttling and can make performance worse.

From the information you have posted so far, my best guess is that a sensor has likely gone bad on the motherboard or in the power adapter. When you are getting constant EDP throttling when a computer is idle, something is definitely not right. There is no way to fix this unless you start replacing parts. I have a hard time recommending replacing your power adapter with the 180W version. This could fix the problem you are having but it could just as likely be a waste of money. It might not make any difference if the real problem is a bad sensor on the motherboard.

Even if you could find a replacement motherboard on eBay at a reasonable price, I cannot recommend buying it. Your laptop model is 10+ years old. Any used motherboards may have the same issues that your motherboard has or it may develop the same problem a week or a month later.

If you cannot afford to fix your laptop then you should not be trying to downgrade the BIOS. I am not sure if you will be able to find an older BIOS version. Trying to go back to a previous version is never a 100% safe thing to do.

Your Dell laptop has reached the end of life stage. It is not worth fixing. Just keep using it as is. Performance will vary between poor and terrible. It might be OK for light duty internet use.

PowerCut did not solve anything so you do not need to use that feature. Set VCCIN back to its default setting. Some of the other ThrottleStop features I recommended might help a little.
I've owned this laptop since December 2023, I didn't have any issues AT ALL Until I reset my windows. This issue of EDP current has existed since I've gotten this computer, yet, it has not affected me like this before. The only reason I'm trying my hardest to fix this computer is because I do not have an alternative, if I did, I would not be here talking to you, although, I am incredibly grateful you decided to help me so far, so I thank you yet again. I have reset the VCCIN and restarted my computer, I wish to hear a response from you as soon as you could find suitable for you. And, This computer has once boosted to 3.7 Ghz a few months ago on complete accident while I was fiddling around with ThrottleStop, I don't know how I did it, And, I couldn't repeat it again, and a few weeks ago it reached 3 Ghz, Yet again, on complete coincidence and I couldn't reproduce it. And, no, as far as I can recall, this computer had no sudden drop in performance except due to this event. this performance was either stock (Pre-ThrottleStop), or slightly above average (After ThrottleStop).

And, as of what I remember, no, I have never run CPU-Z stress tests at 3.7 Ghz or 3 Ghz, I achieved those speeds at idle, probably while accidently using less cores.

I would like to note, I have reenabled intelppm through REGEDIT.

Last edited: